Author Topic: Chances of finding the original owener of your car  (Read 4712 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Chances of finding the original owener of your car
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010 - 09:38:18 AM »
Wow that is cool Daytona. A friend of mine purchased a V code Superbird from the original owner a little over a year ago and it was for the most part completely disassembled, but is now back on the road sporting the original paint and original interior (except for the carpet).
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010 - 12:07:47 PM »
I still have the original owner's email.  I bought it off of her last year!  :bigsmile:

1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010 - 12:09:35 PM »
well last year when I was restoring my 70 Chall I called up the guy I bought it from , when I bought the car the # engine was sitting3 ' away & he would not sell the engine to me or trade for another engine , so I called up & asked where the engine was , he almost dropped the phone ! .   He said ' you don`t still have that car do you " , at the time I bought it I told him it would not be for sale again & yes I still have the car .
 Anyway he had no clue where the engine went & I am sure fully realizes what it is worth to me now .
 Beyond that I have never been able to trace back any previous owners .
 If you were in your 40s when you bought the car new the chances of the orginal owner still being alive are slim .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010 - 01:54:09 PM »
I've told this story before, but it's good one anyway.

I'm the 3rd owner of my car. The original owner gave it to a friend of his to settle up a debt...before going to prison. So, I'm in no huge hurry to meet the original owner, as cool as it might be in some ways.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline acudanut

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010 - 02:50:37 PM »
well last year when I was restoring my 70 Chall I called up the guy I bought it from , when I bought the car the # engine was sitting3 ' away & he would not sell the engine to me or trade for another engine , so I called up & asked where the engine was , he almost dropped the phone ! .   He said ' you don`t still have that car do you " , at the time I bought it I told him it would not be for sale again & yes I still have the car .
 Anyway he had no clue where the engine went & I am sure fully realizes what it is worth to me now .
 Beyond that I have never been able to trace back any previous owners .
 If you were in your 40s when you bought the car new the chances of the orginal owner still being alive are slim .
What a Jerk.

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010 - 03:10:39 PM »
I tried to contact the first owner (i'm the 3rd) but he moved from Fremont, CA to somewhere in TX in 2000. The letter came back stating "adressee unknown"  >:(
I cant find the guy on the inernet - facebook etc - no trace. I guess he must be at least 60+ y.o.
if anyone knows  Gregory Otto, let me know.
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
Re: Chances of finding the original owner of your car
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010 - 03:11:06 PM »
 I got the T/A from the third owner and I have found and meet with the second owner. Was a very nice guy but now completely into Harley's. We did have a great afternoon talking. I have no clue who was the original buyer is.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010 - 06:39:59 PM »
The original owner of my first Cuda contacted me, the car was bought new in the town I live in. He told me he ordered the 70 340 4 speed Cuda while in Vietnam and took delivery of it when he got home. Unfortunately I let that one get away from me and it's whereabouts are unkown now.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline 69bronzeT5

• SRT Guru
  • Mopar or No Car
    • Forgotten Mopars
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010 - 10:54:21 PM »
I've been in contact with all the past owners of my Charger. I'm the 4th owner but the 3rd registered one.

1st owner- Ordered it from Dodge exactly the way he wanted it. Said he had to sell it in 1979 when his wife wanted a station wagon for their new kid. He said he really misses the car but is glad I am restoring it and he would LOVE to see it someday soon. He dug through his whole attic to find the one picture he had of the car that was taken in 1973. I talk to him kind of often.

2nd owner- Owned it from 1979-1995. Drove it until 1985 and then parked it in his driveway until 1995. After that he sold it to the guy I bought the car off of. I've contacted him asking if he has any pictures and he's said three times now he would email pictures to me but he never has. He's never seemed that interested in talking at all.

3rd owner- He parted it out in 1998 and we bought it off of him. He has a '69 R/T I've seen at shows. He has parts off my car he is holding safe for me until I can come up with extra cash so I can buy them off of him. He also has the original keys for it but I haven't had time to pick them up. He loves talking Chargers.

I've never talked to the original owner of my Duster. From what I understood from his grandson (who I bought it off of), it was just his driver and he didn't take pictures or anything of it. I don't know much history behind my Coronet except my friend who owned it last bought it off a hard core drug addict who was getting his house taken away and needed money.
Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger
1970 Coronet
1971 Charger R/T
1971 Road Runner
1989 VW Cabriolet
2004 SRT-4
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8
2008 Challenger SRT8
2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2017 Ram 1500 Rebel

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010 - 12:27:57 AM »
In 1979, I bought a 67 Camaro from the original owner. He consigned it on a car lot, I got his name and number and had a good talk with him. Still have that car today.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010 - 03:27:08 AM »
Wow, that's a great story.  I'd say you would have better chances at hitting the lottery than meeting that guy.

here is a picture of the original owner of my car when he was 18  (1972) when I bought my Cuda

and now a few decades later...

-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010 - 07:11:27 AM »
 :scared:   what happened to your hair....?    :lol:

great picture  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010 - 11:56:17 AM »
:scared:   what happened to your hair....?    :lol:

great picture  :2thumbs:
Hey! I'd be pretty happy with that much hair.  ;D
Signed, Follicly Challenged 
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

sleepychallenger

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010 - 12:25:03 PM »
I have met the 2,3, and 4 owners of my car. It was really easy. Dad, Grandma, Dad... :roflsmiley: I tried getting hold of the original owner, his name was Thomas Smith or something like that. I still have all the waranty paperwork that he filled out and the original loan paperwork. He lived in huninton beach CA and I happened upon that name still there and got a phone number from the internet. I called and left a message but never heard back. Maybe the same guy, maybe not...maybe having easy names is not such a good thing.  :smilielol:

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010 - 02:48:13 AM »
Hey! I'd be pretty happy with that much hair.  ;D
Signed, Follicly Challenged
Me too   :-[ All my hair feel down my back  :eek4: Some cool stories here some not as fortune as i have been
Dennis,Ohio