2011 Calendar Image Poll

Author Topic: 2011 Calendar Image Poll  (Read 18801 times)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: 2011 Calendar Image Poll
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2010 - 08:39:22 PM »
JMO...

#16...other than being a little closer to the car, it is a nearly perfect magazine shot...well done

I left it loose because that was the rules  :icon16:

JMO...this pix is just about text book perfect on how to shoot a car for the magazines...black cars, while beautiful in person, just need lots of color to compliment them in a pix...I really like this shot

Thanks for the kind words Daytona
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:02:13 PM »
I like the way you fixed the picture and am not at all offended. If Dave wants to use the your fixed up picture it is OK with me.

For the moment, there is a no Photoshopping rule, but for next year that's something I want to poll people about. Other than that I'm assuming that Daytona modified the poll pic, which was only 600 pixels (i.e., in print form, 2 inches) wide  :grinno:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:04:27 PM »
Granted that we had a short deadline this year, the biggest issue I had with a lot of shots was a blank or mostly blank, bland sky. This is a peeve of mine for all sorts of photography.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:07:58 PM »
JMO...

#10...should have closed in on the car and eliminated so much pavement...make the car bigger in the shot...nice color selection
#11...nice shot, almost too much color...nice posing etc...well done

Thanks for the comments on my 2 pictures Larry.  On #10, I have to admit I'm disappointed, I'd only had the car a couple weeks when the calender contest was announced and with the short entry deadline, I only had a window of opportunity on one Sunday to pose it for interesting pictures, there were more clouds than sun, and after posing the car, I'd have to sit there waiting and waiting for the sun to come out.  Then after some shots, move the car around, wait again for the sun, then some more pix, etc, I took 60 or 70 shots and probably would have stayed at it later but I was starting to get afraid the plugs would foul up from all the time it was idling!  I would have cropped the shot I chose, but when I read the rules, it said no cropping, and I could swear it had said that they'd crop the pictures, not what it says now??
2.  .........  Also please don’t crop your picture and if you do, make sure to submit the original.
Anyway, I'm sort of beating up myself, rarest car in the running, add fall colors, should've been a shoe-in, but I guess I dropped the ball! :banghead:  Shoulda cropped, shoulda used one of the other 60 pictures, shoulda coulda woulda!  I'll do better with pictures of my T/A for a future calender, if that car ever gets done that is!  :icon16:
I took #11 last year, spotted that hedge of burning bush in full color from about a half mile away last year and said to myself I had to pose one of my cars in front of it!! :o Weather was cold and crummy here last fall, finally got a break from rain, and took the '09 there and took some shots when it was overcast, tried again later when the sun came out but the results were actually a lot better with the overcast, surreal, like an acid trip, oh the colors! 8)
I doubted that one would poll too well, '08-10 Challengers are just too commonplace for most of us to get excited about, so I'm not disappointed it didn't get many votes, but I still love the picture, it's the wallpaper on my laptop, though I might change it as it gets too much attention, can't get any work done when everyone's always wanting to talk to me about the picture on my computer!  :lol:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:12:26 PM »
A suggestion for future reference:

Put the pictures submitted on one thread thats a locked thread and the voting on another. Both of them sticky threads.

That way a viewer can look at pics and review the voting results separate and easier.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:20:59 PM »
One thing I'm definitely going to try (in fact, it's already happening) is to accept submissions all year round. I'll put an announcement together later on, and remind people throughout the year (but still have the final push in late September or so). All of which is to say, if there are good opportunities right now, GO OUT AND SHOOT THEM!  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:37:34 PM »
So when do we start ordering ?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:41:01 PM »
So when do we start ordering ?

Judy is still finishing up with the printing quotes. When she's got it all together she'll post a thread for ordering.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2010 - 09:54:34 PM »
One thing I'm definitely going to try (in fact, it's already happening) is to accept submissions all year round. I'll put an announcement together later on, and remind people throughout the year (but still have the final push in late September or so). All of which is to say, if there are good opportunities right now, GO OUT AND SHOOT THEM!  :bigsmile:

I shoot car pix year round...take your opportunities as they appear, don't force them for the calendar contest

...I always try to get a snow shot every year
...in Indiana, we have golden corn for a beautiful backdrop at the end of the summer
...colored leaves in the fall

...pick your backdrop, something that compliments your cars colors and be patient...never shoot a car on grass...avoid too much greenery, it's usually ugly in a picture...usually a 45 degree angle is pleasing to the eye, and you can shoot the car closer and make it bigger in the picture, remember the car is the star, not the background...pose the front wheels so the wheel shows, not the tire tread...and with all the planning in the world, sometimes you just get lucky and get a great shot without even trying

...the longest I have ever waited for a shot is in the winter, waiting for the proper snow...we usually only get one per year...the snow has to be wet so it sticks to the trees, but not too deep to manuver the car in...timing is key...snow shots are my favorites

...the Judge was shot across the street from my house in a cemetary...I bring a different car home each winter waiting for the snow shot...I waited 6 weeks for the proper snow for the GTO Judge

...the Challenger and Vette were shot in my neighbors driveway...again, I waited for weeks for the perfect snow(or as close as I could get)...backed the car out of the garage slowly across the street, took a couple hundred shots, slowly drove them back to the garage...all 3 shots, the snow was gone or ugly within an hour or so of the time I took the pix....timing/patience is the key

...so, start looking around for the locations now....

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2010 - 10:31:00 PM »
hey, it looks like there was a tree driving that vette :roflsmiley:
seriously, it looks like a pair of eyes about 3' above the top of the windshield, and he looks kinda shaggy
Very tall though!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010 - 10:32:55 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2010 - 01:35:09 AM »
hey, it looks like there was a tree driving that vette :roflsmiley:
seriously, it looks like a pair of eyes about 3' above the top of the windshield, and he looks kinda shaggy
Very tall though!

:roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:  :bigsmile:

...my buddy Woodie was driving the car that day

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2010 - 08:20:55 AM »
I completely concur with Daytona's advice above about taking shots when you see them. Many's the time I've seen a great shot and thought I'd get it later, but later, something had changed.

The other thing I would add is that there are three components to most any shot - subject, background, and lighting conditions. Your subject is a given (although how you shoot it, i.e., what angle you choose, is not). Background is a choice that some people think about and some people don't.

Almost no one thinks about the lighting conditions, and good light is what makes a shot. This doesn't necessarily mean "bright, blue skies and sunny." It means that the light is dramatic.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2010 - 07:23:20 PM »
I waited a year for this shot...........then I didn't get the car right..........Now they have trimmed the trees.............. :hyper:
Dave or David

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2010 - 07:26:45 PM »
Thats a nice pic all the same!  :2thumbs:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2010 - 07:50:44 PM »
What do you think is wrong with that shot, Dave? Is it because it's tilted? That can be fixed pretty easily, as long as the original has high enough resolution.

If you try to recreate that one somewhere else, try to get closer to the car to cut out some of the background clutter. Although, it looks like you may have been shooting from across a street, and we don't want you in the middle of the road  :grinno:

Here's a very quick revision:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010 - 08:47:43 PM by ChallengerHK »

- Han Solo, Star Wars