Author Topic: Any Members in Ontario an engine Guy?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline bandt

Any Members in Ontario an engine Guy?
« on: October 13, 2010 - 08:40:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone local to me had the tools and knowledge to degree a cam?
I have a 72 340 with stock replacement 70-71 pistons. I'm not sure what the compression is. It has stock 360 3671587 heads with the 1.88 intake valves. I haven't done a compression test on it as it is in a stand right now. It has a Mopar purple cam in it 284 duration, .484 lift both sides. It has a 727 with 4:10 8 3/4 rear end. Sounds great at idle, but has no low end torque. I know this is a fairly old spec cam and there are better choices out there. What would be a better choice of cam with this setup? Anyone else with this cam have any better luck with it. May be ok in a four speed car.

Thanks,
Brian :canada:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010 - 08:51:37 PM by bandt »

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: Any Members in Ontario an engine Guy?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010 - 08:59:56 PM »
I don't know much about smallblocks but 1.88 intake valves are awfully small with that cam.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010 - 09:01:57 PM »
Sorry, I can not help with degreeing the cam, do not have the proper tools yet....where in Ontario are you??

Have you tried tuneing the carb.  It may help with the bottom end.

Jason

:canada:
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline bandt

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010 - 09:22:33 PM »
Funny you mentioned the carb. The carb is a 650dp. It was running poorly in my mind. I have nothing to compare it to. It has no choke, it takes forever to warm up just to back it out into the driveway, seems to want to to stall at lights for the first 20 minutes of driving. Double footing it so it won't stall. Is this normal for a no choke car?
I brought it to the shop late last December to start the tear down. It was freezing outside and the car ran awesome. Could break the tires loose no problem from a stop. Makes me think the carb is running rich, maybe leaking power valve at idle? Carb seems to load up. Idles extremely rough and the heads won"t be utilizing that duration anyway.  A cam swap seems to make sense while the engine is in a stand. Rebuilt the carb but without a vacuum reading at idle don't know what valve to put in. You may be right though carb is suspect to.
I live in Cambridge.

Brian

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010 - 09:46:47 PM »
 :popcorn:
Hope someone posts a link to a good explanation of how to degree a cam. Want to try it myself this winter.
 :popcorn:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010 - 09:51:47 PM »
How far are you from Detroit.  I have a good engine guy about 50 minutes from there.  :dunno:

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010 - 10:10:50 PM »
Funny you mentioned the carb. The carb is a 650dp. It was running poorly in my mind. I have nothing to compare it to. It has no choke, it takes forever to warm up just to back it out into the driveway, seems to want to to stall at lights for the first 20 minutes of driving. Double footing it so it won't stall. Is this normal for a no choke car?
I brought it to the shop late last December to start the tear down. It was freezing outside and the car ran awesome. Could break the tires loose no problem from a stop. Makes me think the carb is running rich, maybe leaking power valve at idle? Carb seems to load up. Idles extremely rough and the heads won"t be utilizing that duration anyway.  A cam swap seems to make sense while the engine is in a stand. Rebuilt the carb but without a vacuum reading at idle don't know what valve to put in. You may be right though carb is suspect to.
I live in Cambridge.

Brian

Hey I'm in Cambridge...man wish I could help with the cam.

So the engien is not in the car at the moment?

If it is, I could help out with setting up the carb.

Jason

Is the
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline bandt

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010 - 06:14:41 AM »
4cruizin- about 3 hours from Windsor so 3 1\2 depending on where you are in Detroit.

CUDA JAS- I can't believe your in Cambridge too, what are the odds?
 Yes the car is stripped, I'm in the process of reaasembling it. Engine is out in a stand. I rebuilt the carb already. Should have done 2 things before I pulled it. Compression test, and checked vacuum. I suspect the carb was aproblem and the cam is amplifying that.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010 - 10:33:13 AM »
I could always fly out

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline bandt

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010 - 05:15:54 PM »
I wish you could.

I know we have talked about this quite abit Chryco. I'm still not sure what to do with it. Poured a ton of money into the restoration, ran out of money to do much on the engine. Long story short I don't really want to put it back on the road running the way it did when I pulled it off. Would love to do heads a new cam and carb but just don't have the funds right now. Still looking for suggestions, what do you recommend? Still would like your opinion on a cam!

Brian

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010 - 11:46:31 PM »
I live in Toronto and drive 1.5 hrs to my engine guy at Newport Motors in Shelbourne Ont.
Ask for Andy, he does great work, but it's not free.
You can email me if you would like
boydsdodge@yahoo.ca
Jackson from Toronto.