Author Topic: 70 challenger R/T hood  (Read 2096 times)

Offline dixiedog

70 challenger R/T hood
« on: October 14, 2010 - 10:52:10 AM »
After getting my car back from the paint shop the hood won't line up.  I have adjusted on it but no good.  The paint and body guy did a good job on most of it (great paint job),but must have been out there on a few things.  He must not have mounted the hood prior to painting it.  It was an after market R/T hood.  When you shut the hood the pasenger side front wants to stay up an inch or so.  If you push it down in the right position the drivers rear comes up.  I can't believe some of the issues I am dealing with that I shouldn't have had to if it had been done correctly to begin with.  The hood is painted as is the black out stripe on it.  I have thought about using some pressure and trying to bend the hood into shape without messing up the paint.  Is this going to be possible?  Anybody had this issue?  Thanks, danny

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: 70 challenger R/T hood
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010 - 12:28:34 PM »
First off, dont bend the hood.

A couple things comes to mind. Are the hinges week? Rivots?  There is 3 bolts on each hinge to achieve alignment with. Even with semi bad springs, it should be able to get the hood to set flat. Also, are the rear hood rubber bumpers in place?  You just have to adust untill it's right. Like loosen the back bolt on the hinge, the raise up on the hood in front. This pulls the hood down more in the back. 

Dont bend the hood

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010 - 07:01:41 AM »
Really sounds like your hinges are shot.  When you open the hood all of the way, can you wiggle it on the hinges or is it pretty tight?
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline dixiedog

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010 - 08:37:40 AM »
I take it you don't want me to bend the hood Al.  I won't yet, but I was going to try it.  How many rear rubber bumpers go on the rear of the hood, I don't have them in place yet?  I think the rivets are fine.  I have adjusted on it several times, loosen the back bolts, raise the front and retighten.  That laid the back down.  It's weird I can get it all adjusted except for the passenger front being to high and when I push it down it raises the driver rear.  Also it seems to be a little loose when raised all the way, I will recheck that Gary.  Thanks Guys, Danny
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010 - 08:43:58 AM by dixiedog »

Offline dixiedog

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010 - 11:46:55 AM »
Still can't get this hood adjusted.  I think the hinges are shot but I also think if they were new this hood wouldn't adjust.  I honestly believe it is warped or something

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010 - 12:21:08 AM »
Pics speak a thousand words mate. Any chance of snapping a few of the hood shut/open, as well as the hinges? Give everyone a good look at the lines.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010 - 12:27:10 AM »
Can you lay it on a flat floor to see if it 'rocks' ?

If it is OK on the floor, something else is amiss..........

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010 - 09:07:45 AM »
Can you lay it on a flat floor to see if it 'rocks' ?

If it is OK on the floor, something else is amiss..........
Great Idea, Barry!
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline dixiedog

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010 - 09:37:03 AM »
I will snap some pics of the hood and hinges, when I get a chance.  That is a good idea Barry, I will try that as well.    Thanks, Danny

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010 - 10:03:46 AM »
It's not that the latch is too high, is it?  If you remove the latch and the spring next to it, does it lay flat?

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010 - 09:10:37 PM »
So, tell us WHY you are not holding the body/painter accountable for proper fitment of the hood?  If it turns out to be anything other than correcting the hood adjustment bolts, then your body/painter messed up by proceeding.

If you have a level hood, the guys here can walk you through the steps to get it to sit flat.   
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010 - 09:24:55 PM »
About 30 years ago, I bought a NOS Cowl Induction Z28 Hood from GM. As it turned out, it required 12 hours of body work as it was warped and didn't fit. With the after market stuff today from Taiwan and India, I'm not holding my breath that its better quality.

Offline dixiedog

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010 - 09:26:36 AM »
Finally after to many attempts to count (FY1 hit it on), the front latch was to high causing the hood to pivot on it. After all of the adjusting this was an easy fix.  Hood is adjusted and looks good.  Thanks, Danny   

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010 - 10:16:23 AM »
The hood is not easy to fit correctly. It took me a week of messing around before I got mine right. The worst bit is getting the back edge sitting down. It messes with your mind because you have to rotate the hinges UP to get the back of the hood down.

I had to walk away from it a few times to calm down. ;D
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010 - 04:50:01 PM »
Finally after to many attempts to count (FY1 hit it on), the front latch was to high causing the hood to pivot on it. After all of the adjusting this was an easy fix.  Hood is adjusted and looks good.  Thanks, Danny

I think you should of bent the hood :smokin: