i found a hemi cuda.......

Author Topic: i found a hemi cuda.......  (Read 12259 times)

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
Re: i found a hemi cuda.......
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010 - 07:52:18 PM »
Depends if you feel like typing  alot :poopoke:
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010 - 07:55:24 PM »
It sounds like a good story, if not entirely happy; I want the long version.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010 - 07:59:23 PM »
 ?????
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010 - 08:06:31 PM »
I can't wait to hear it...
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010 - 08:15:16 PM »
I vote for the long story.  :bigsmile: any pictures?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010 - 08:29:51 PM »
Loooooooooooooooooooooooong

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010 - 08:49:27 PM »
Ok here goes

I would like to first start out by saying that i am quite proud of myself for finding the exact location of the car in only 2 days with having pretty much nothing to go on except the car was somewhere between 2 towns that are 100 miles apart.

This is the info i got from the person that told me about it. It was originally black, the guy who owned it was the son of someone who owned a body shop, and that the dash had been taken out of it before and put in a challenger but when the guy sold the challenger that he took the dash out and had the original dash for it (this is all very important later in the story)

I started 2 days ago by calling up a few people who lived in the areas where the car could possibly be located. Within 30 minutes of calling i had a lead. A small town called Pfeiffer.

We began the day by using the last 30 dollars i had to my name to fill up with gas and stock up on gas station food. We then proceeded to drive 2 hours to this location where we believed the car to be.

When we arrived in Pheiffer the first place we hit up was a local junk yard. The first thing we asked is if he had any old cars we could look at that we were just some kids that liked to look at old cars. The owner of the yard proceeded to tell me he had nothing older then a 1980. While he was telling me this i was looking at about 600 pre 1970 cars that were in his yard. The guy was a total d**k. Then i told him i had a restored 70 challenger and i was looking for a 70 cuda to restore as well and i asked him if he knew of any. He replied "i dont know of any, and even if i did i wouldnt tell you" at this point we decided that it was probably time to leave and try somewhere else.

We did about 2 hours worth of pointless driving and looking in this little town to no avail. We then stopped at the local parts store and pretty much said the same thing we did at the junk yard, got a 70 chall, lookin for a 70 cuda. The guy said he didnt know of any but gave us the name of a local shop that does custom painting and said if anyone knew where some mopar stuff was that this guy would know

So we loaded up and headed that way, turns out this guys property is right next to the junkyard we were at earlier. I walked in and asked if he knew of any cudas sitting around and he asked if i tried the junkyard. I said yea but that guy said he had nothing but 1980 and newer (as we were having this conversation we were looking at 5-600 pre 1980 cars that were visible from this guys shop. The guy that owned the shop said yea that guy is a complete a$$ hole and everyone in town hates him...he is waiting for the crusher to get here so he can crush all those old cars so people will quit asking him about them. He knew there was a cuda or two in that junkyard but didnt know years, engine sizes ect. At this point i was thinking great that Hemi is probably sitting in there just waiting to be crushed. I asked him if he knew what colors they were and he said yes that one was yellow and one was orange. (the hemi is supposed to be black) we were a little relieved when he said that.

It was getting late in the day and we decided we should start heading back and search another day. We took a different route back and passed a place with about 30 71-74 b-bodies. There was someone at the building so we decided to stop. We got out and introduced ourselves and asked him if he had any cars forsale and he said well do you have money? i said yea i have money. He then said how much? cause you are currently driving a piece of s***. (this guy was almost as big of an a hole as the guy who owned the junkyard) That kinda pissed me off and so i said i have enough money to buy any car you have here (which was a complete lie) but none the less it worked. He said yea i got a 68 383 4 speed bee sitting beside the shop you can go look at. I said ok. he said but thats all you can look at, you and your buddy cant be taking a f'n nature hike out thru my yard looking at anything else, the bee is the only thing you can look at. So i went and looked it over and pretended i was half assed interested in it then came back inside and asked him if he had any other mopars. And he said well what kind?

This is where all the puzzle pieces and bits of information i had collected over the last 2 days started to come together. I said i have a 70 challenger and im lookin for a 70 cuda now. He says yea i had a cuda. Sold it about 2 months ago. I said man that stinks, what color was it? he said purple. He then said if i could go back and do it over again i would still have that car. I said why is that? he said well it was originally a black car which is a rare color and i said yea.......he contiuted to say that it had been hit HARD in the front and was pretty much totalled out. And that when he sold it he had to take some parts away from his challenger to put back on it. I start too look around and we are in an old body shop. He then looked at me and said you know what else? and i said what? he says it was originally an R code 426 hemi car. (at this moment my heart pretty much sank because i knew that all the details were too specific for it to be any other car but the one i was looking for) I said so you sold it only 2 months ago? and he said yea. I said how much did you get our of it? if you dont mind me asking. He looked at me and said 2 grand.

I didnt say another word....just turned around, walked out of the building, and drove off.

Only to be fired 4 hours later

So here is how my day went. I spent the last 30 dollars in my bank account, didnt meet a single person in the whole area who wasnt a complete (insert whatever curse word you can think of here), and to top it off i got fired just now for something i didnt know i wasnt doing wrong, and was never pointed out to me until after i had been fired.....all in all...id say a GREAT day
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010 - 08:51:10 PM »
All I know is Crooks have gotten ALOT smarter than days past....I once read a story in MM Mag. about these two guys reading about a "Supposed" 1970 "Hemi Cuda" that was for sale.. The "kid" didn't sound like he was into "Dad's old car", but knew EXACTLY what the Hemi meant..Big $$$$...So they advertise it and get a few bites...Says the price is something like $12K..When asked specific questions about this and that, the guys figure it's "legit"....These two guys go out there with around $2K in their pockets and as soon as they realize they are in a "Seedy" part of town, it's too late...Three "Thugs" roll up on 'em damanding the entire wad of $12K be shown before they take 'em to the car..Of course, the two guys refuse and ask to see the car. At which point, the two guys get the hell beaten out of 'em, in the hospital with multiple broken bones and concusions and without their $2K.....

1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010 - 09:01:24 PM »
Holys Sh!t, thats a crazy day...someone got a great deal, wonder when that car will show up in a mag..

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010 - 09:02:10 PM »
Whoa...

Sounds like this is the part you need to be talking about. What the hell happened here?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010 - 09:05:49 PM »
Whoa...

Sounds like this is the part you need to be talking about. What the hell happened here?

I started a job a week ago and i said i had never worked with horses, only cows and the guy fired me today saying that i didnt know enough about horses.....
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010 - 09:08:46 PM »
My very first job was mucking horse stables, when I was 14. Woman had a pair of supposed champions, and she had a horse trailer pinstriped in real gold with rubies, sapphires and amethysts set into it, and air conditioned.

Horse people are damned particular. I hope everything works out for you.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010 - 09:12:06 PM »
What a crazy and  Crappy day sorry to hear that.

Wonder whats going to happen the the 500 600 Pre 70 cars in the junkyard  :villagers:
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010 - 09:20:04 PM »
Whoa...

Time to go back or call the old boss and sing "Take this job and shove it!"

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010 - 09:58:25 PM »
WOW! Sorry to hear about your day. I must admit that this is nothing like how I thought it would turn out.
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net