Author Topic: Rich Idle Condition  (Read 1386 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Rich Idle Condition
« on: October 18, 2010 - 10:43:15 PM »
Help...My cuda is ideling rich, so bad you can smell it sitting in the driveway.

The specs are as follows:

360, stock bottom end
Stock heads
Aprox 9 :1 compression
Eddy Torker 340 Intake
Eddy Torker Plus Cam   
   @050 Int dur. 222 , Ex dur. 234
   Lift Int .447 Ex .450 
   Intake Centre line 107 Ex centerline 116
Stock dizzy
Intial timing at 20 deg
Total timing 38 deg (all in around 3000 rpm or slightly before)
Vac advance hooked to full manifold vacum
750 CFM Holly Vac sec
6.5 PV
Idles at 750 rpm in D all day long, but rich.

I spent an hour on the weekend adjusting the mixture screws, adjusted to highest vacum (10.5 or so).
The carb is working off the idle circut, but the idle slots may be uncovered a little too much.

My thought was to crack open the secondarys a little bit (using the adjustment screw under the baseplate on the pass side) and back off the primary idle speed screw, covering the idle slots a little more.

Am I on the right track here..would this help to lean out the idle?

Jason

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010 - 11:04:34 PM by CUDA JAS »
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Rich Idle Condition
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010 - 02:10:07 AM »
are the plugs going black or does it just smell rich ?
you could have an internal leak in the metering block to body gasket leaking into the powervalve or a bad power valve causing a rich idle or it just could be low vacuum created by the cam profile causing the problem , resticting the idle bleeds with wire will often increase idle sensitivity when there is low idle vacuum

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010 - 10:21:08 AM »
are the plugs going black or does it just smell rich ?
you could have an internal leak in the metering block to body gasket leaking into the powervalve or a bad power valve causing a rich idle or it just could be low vacuum created by the cam profile causing the problem , resticting the idle bleeds with wire will often increase idle sensitivity when there is low idle vacuum

Chryco, I will pull acouple of plugs and have a look.  No outward signs that the plugs are fouling, car runs stronger then ever (been playing with the carb lately).  PV seems to be good, turn the mixture screws in and the car stalls...would this also rule out an internal leak? 

Tell me more about the wire in the idle bleeds...I realize the cam is pretty big, and 10 in of vac is not much, so I am willing to play with some stuff.

I may also try a 4 hole spacer from FBO over the winter, as I hear that will increase the signla to the carb and improve the idle. 

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010 - 10:50:36 AM »
if the plugs are clean & they probably are if the car is running stronger then ever the duration of the cam can cause some cylinders to misfire & create a rich smell at idle if everything is working well .
 the two outer bleeds in the throat of the carb , primary & secondary side are the idle bleeds , if you bend a small gauge wire like this [ and insert the ends of the wire into the bleeds it will restrict the opening & often help the idle quality , worth trying but with 10" of vacuum I assume in neutral not in gear this may not help , it definatly works with lower vacuum

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010 - 10:59:55 AM »
if the plugs are clean & they probably are if the car is running stronger then ever the duration of the cam can cause some cylinders to misfire & create a rich smell at idle if everything is working well .
 the two outer bleeds in the throat of the carb , primary & secondary side are the idle bleeds , if you bend a small gauge wire like this [ and insert the ends of the wire into the bleeds it will restrict the opening & often help the idle quality , worth trying but with 10" of vacuum I assume in neutral not in gear this may not help , it definatly works with lower vacuum

Thanks...the 10" of vac is in gear.
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!