Winter storage??

Author Topic: Winter storage??  (Read 1622 times)

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
Winter storage??
« on: November 12, 2004 - 06:50:48 AM »
I tried to do a search for old threads so if I repeat an old topic sorry, but how are many of you storing your cars ( at least those of us who get the crapy white stuff ).

I have my own garage that the car will stay in and always keep her covered. I also use a gas stabalizer, as one year one of the cars I had I didn't and spent all of spring trying to correct that.

My major concern is rodents. One year a mouse was kind enough to make a home in my hood insulation!!
When I would run the car in 30 day intervals, it must have been a nice warm place for them. I was very lucky that they didn't acctualy get IN the car. A tip off was I was tinkering with her one day and there was mouse crap on my intake.

After searching the web the following seems to be standard, but I was curious what other real car guys do -

1) fresh oil and filter change - if it is going to be a long period with no running periods remove spark plugs and oil the cyliders. Another arguement is, is it better to run the engine and move it some as opposed to just leave it till spring?

2) wash and wax body / clean interior

3) use a gas stabalizer - I've heard that in some cases gas will go bad after as little as 30 days.

4) lay a thick tarp under the car to prevent moisture from coming through concrete floor.

5) stuff tail pipe with foil to prevent mice from getting in - now here is one I have not done, does any one else?
   and while staying on the rodent theme, one site said to place moth balls in the interior, is any one doing this     
   and won't that make your interior stink?

I just want to put my car to bed in the best possible conditions and was unclear on a couple things.

I'm done rambling now - talk to you later!  wave
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
Re: Winter storage??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004 - 09:11:42 AM »
Winter storage is definetely an issue were i live in Canada. This is what i have done now for 6 seasons. Wash and clean the car inside and out. And me being a clean freak as well ::) i do the complete undercarage, every square inch. Fresh oil and filter,fuel stabalizer,up off the ground on jackstands(to keep weight off the tires and suspension),keep the windows down a couple of inches to reduce moisture build up,start it every month for about 15 minutes,keep a car cover on it,keep mouse traps loaded year round,and count the days untill spring when i can find a rustang to pound. beer

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004 - 10:14:51 AM »
I have never had a problem of fuel going bad my self, but always keep mouse traps around and do not cover the car as then it is a nice dark place for a mouse to hide. My garage thermostat is always set at 60ºF and have never had a problem in my new garage that has VERY good sealing.

Forgot to mention I never put it up on stands because I am scared if there is a fire I won't be able to get it out quick enough. But they are a good idea.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004 - 11:04:23 AM »
Whats Winter storage? dontknow

Offline 72cuda

• mmmmm, boiling gas
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004 - 11:15:00 AM »
Moth balls do work well. Smells a bit in the spring, but it will go away, and mice *hate* it.

Just put a sandwich bag or plastic wrap over the exhaust and secure with rubber bands. No foreign matter in the pipe that way.
72 Cuda 383 4-spd

Drive it like you paid for it

Offline challenger72rt

• My l'il girl w' Dodge hat
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004 - 11:17:17 AM »

Eat me!

Signed,
Your friendly neighbourhood Canuck deprived of his Mopar for the next 6 months.
"Once upon a time I had a really bad Monday"

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004 - 11:47:29 AM »
 laughup

Yup - I'm so jealous

Keep 'em coming guys, good stuff here

thanks for the help/input!! 
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline budrinker

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004 - 01:39:37 PM »
i,ve heard dont run it unless you can take it out and blow the water out the tail pipe unless you like replacing your exhaust.its better if you are worried about piston stick to just bump it over every now and agian. is unless a word? it sure looks funny

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004 - 01:44:07 PM »
Basically, Jess is gonna sit in my garage, with no cover except on the exhaust.  The interior is not in the car right now, so I dont have to worry about mice getting at it.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004 - 01:45:02 PM »
Yep I have gotten pretty good with the storage thing. Yes I use moth balls in everything I store.  Boat, pontoon boat, cars and even the storage shed.  Mice and other critters hate the smell of moth balls and will stay clear of them! The other thing that I do that no one has mentioned is . . . I always fog out the engine before storage.  Unless you have fuel injection, get some fogging oil and spray it into the carb for approx 5 sec and then,  shut it off.  Its a good idea to run the engine for 5 minutes after adding the fuel stabilizer but before fogging.  After spraying the fogging oil in the carb, remove each spark plug and hit each cylinder with a shot of that stuff as directed on the can!!  Has always worked well for me with both the boats and the cars! I usually let it sit until spring after that!  Hope this helps!   tongue  tongue
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004 - 03:21:44 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline onebadhemi

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004 - 01:56:52 PM »
I always wash and wax, pull the battery,cover the exhaust,throw the cover on it and don't look at it till spring thumbs

Dave

1970 R/T Challenger
1971 Pro street"HEMI" Challenger
2003 V-10 Ram 2500 Q/C
2006 Charger R/T

Offline 72cuda

• mmmmm, boiling gas
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004 - 07:38:27 PM »
It isn't a good idea to start the engine and let it idle during storage - the oil won't get hot enough to boil off condensate and acids.

Fogging oil or a bit of oil in each cylinder, crank it a little to coat the cylinder walls, then let it sit.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2004 - 07:40:21 PM by 72cuda »
72 Cuda 383 4-spd

Drive it like you paid for it

Offline 1973challenger360

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004 - 01:01:29 AM »
can you please explain, the car season just started.    Move south                

2000+car  hot rod show 11-  21-22 - 04 and top fuel boats and I heard an autoshow.  whats this winter crap.
1965 barracuda. Was 273/2 904 car had 440 360 in plans
1996 Dodge 1500 ST 5.2 Np3500 4x2 club cab short bed

2008 Veracruz AWD Limited     I pay she drives

lemonboy69

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004 - 01:17:14 AM »

Winter storage for me this year means putting her back together!!! I'm thinking about a very special New Year's Eve present this year.... hearing that 300+ HP slant six come to life!!! grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes grinyes worship worship worship worship worship worship worship worship worship beer beer beer beer

LB

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004 - 04:05:17 PM »

You know, in the winter, with the storage, and the not driving... what most people in Joisey do... ::)

If anyone wants, I have a walk-through on "Prepping your car for Winter Storage". It has one GM A-Body specific reference, on Jacking points, but otherwise is universal to all cars. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll send you the file.