Author Topic: Need help with throttle linkage '72 Challenger  (Read 2619 times)

Offline rilko

Need help with throttle linkage '72 Challenger
« on: October 26, 2010 - 03:37:19 PM »
Hi! I'm new to the forum :) I'm working on a '72 Challenger Rallye 340. The previous owner installed an Edelbrock Performer but for
whatever reason didn't hook up kickdown linkage. I'm trying to figure out what this linkage looked like and how it would have been
originally connected to the orig Thermoquad (I have the carb but no linkages). The current throttle cable hookup is a cobbled up
job as well. Can anyone post a few pics of a stock throtlle linkage to kickdown (single kickdown lever) connection - Thermoquad install
or even with an Edelbrock? I know about LOKAR setup but would like to install orig if possible. THANX!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Need help with throttle linkage '72 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010 - 04:29:37 PM »
Welcome to the site. :thumbsup:

First of all, if you don't already know, do NOT drive the car at all without the kickdown linkage.  You'll fry the trans in no time.

Locating all the correct factory pieces could be difficult.  With an aftermarked carb, it might be easier to run the Lokar set-up.  I've used a similar set-up from Bouchilon Performance before and installation was easy.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010 - 06:39:28 PM »
 :iagree: Here is good reference as what happens with OE linkage & taller intakes along with a pic from my '73 ....
  I think someone offers a tall version of the bracket

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=57503.0
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 72 Cuda Replica

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010 - 10:23:05 AM »
my 72 cuda repli-mod came to me with an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold and an Edelbrock Performer #1411 carb.  The kickdown connection at the carb is a cable.  Don't know what brand.  At a cruise nite this past summer a guy who seemed to be quite knowledgable looked at the setup and said "that won't work, it should be pushing instead of pulling, unless the trans end is backwards too."  It does work.  I have a couple pics of the carb end which I can send to you.  Or if possible, I could post them somehwere in the forum?
'72 Cuda Repli-mod-custom 340 with cam, headers, 10:1 pistons, ported factory heads, manifold and carb, hi-flow custom (loud) exhaust
A727, 3.55 Sure Grip
'11 Ranger 4x4
'03 Grand Marquis
'08 Sportster Stage 1

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010 - 11:13:56 AM »
It's been a long time since I put the cable on my truck but the guy is right...it has to pull the lever back.  The only way it can work is if the cable is looped and swings back twards the front.  I'm sure the cable gets routed past the trans, turns back twards the front and is connected to the lever.  That way the cable IS pulling the lever back.

Offline rilko

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010 - 10:11:24 PM »
HI! I've been looking at the pics at the link that bullitt posted (THANX!). I can understand how bullitt's OEM '73
setup works but can't figure out the other arrrangment. Doesn't the throttle stud need to rest against back edge of lever slot that connects to tranny lever? As throttle plate opens it pushes backwards on the kickdown lever like in
bullitt's OEM setup. How does this work in the other setup???

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010 - 10:54:37 PM »
HI! I've been looking at the pics at the link that bullitt posted (THANX!). I can understand how bullitt's OEM '73
setup works but can't figure out the other arrrangment. Doesn't the throttle stud need to rest against back edge of lever slot that connects to tranny lever? As throttle plate opens it pushes backwards on the kickdown lever like in
bullitt's OEM setup. How does this work in the other setup???
I think that's the point that was being made...it doesn't, the rear of the slot needs to ride on the throttle stud
  I got your email & just responded
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010 - 10:06:24 AM »
On the cable setup, there is an extra bracket that is mounted on the carb.  The bracket hangs below the throttle shaft centerline.  The throttle cable is attached above the throttle shaft centerline and the kickdown cable is attached below the centerline.  When the throttle is applied, the lower bracket moves forward so it pulls on the kickdown cable.  That cable then routes down past the trans...loops around back twards the trans and attaches to the linkage.  That way, the cable is pulling the linkage back.   Does that make sence?