Author Topic: Street car -or- Race car?  (Read 9084 times)

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
Re: Street car -or- Race car?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010 - 11:45:10 PM »
would like to see if the Dart can break the 12 sec. time. Providing I don't stare too long at the pretty blinking lights.  :smilielol:  :smilielol:

Jim it wouldnt surprise me if your Dart ends up a 11 sec car. 

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010 - 03:58:42 AM »
Bottom line is like a buddy of mine once said and it's spot on....."You ain't gonna go but so fast with a "Street car...After a certain ET, you WILL become a Race car"...

Nothing could be more truthful...I've tried to turn high 10's in a Stock suspensioned, iron headed, stroked 440 Dart and it seems the lower the ET, the more BS track (Tech) rules dictate I need "Race car" sh*t in order to run the times...So, bottom line? If your in the 7-10 Second 1/4 mile range, you are in the "Race Car" class whether you like it or not.....There simply isn't a TRUE "Street Car" capable of doing that without ALOT of "Race Car" sh*t on it...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010 - 08:10:02 AM »
Bottom line is like a buddy of mine once said and it's spot on....."You ain't gonna go but so fast with a "Street car...After a certain ET, you WILL become a Race car"...

Nothing could be more truthful...I've tried to turn high 10's in a Stock suspensioned, iron headed, stroked 440 Dart and it seems the lower the ET, the more BS track (Tech) rules dictate I need "Race car" sh*t in order to run the times...So, bottom line? If your in the 7-10 Second 1/4 mile range, you are in the "Race Car" class whether you like it or not.....There simply isn't a TRUE "Street Car" capable of doing that without ALOT of "Race Car" sh*t on it...

So, where do you draw the line?  At what point do bolt-ons, (headers, intakes, cams,....) change a car from street to race?  If a car runs the quick numbers on pump gas, then what does that make the car?  No one is saying STOCK street car. I have a buddy with an 8 second twin screw vette. It runs on pump gas and appears totally stock to the untrained eye. No NHRA safety equipment on it, but he goes to outlaw tracks that are slack on tech.
As I said earlier, this debate can go on and on. I am not going by ET, MPH, or any of that. If the car runs truly on pump gas and it primarilly driven on the street, it will be a street car. If it is a car that is raced frequently, and rarely street driven, it will be a race car.
I am not saying that is the end all to this debate. But the line must be drawn for the purposes of these E.T. threads.   :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010 - 09:30:49 AM »
years ago , at Baton Rouge, they used to have the street car races there.  to qualify, your car had to be tagged , insured, with all required items working. Like lights, horn, wipers, bumpers, exhaust, and dot tires. Then you had to drive a 30 mile road trip on the same day you raced.  all in one group. Not through city traffic and a determind speed though like 45 mph or something. But you had to complete the course, in order to qualify.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010 - 09:43:49 AM »
years ago , at Baton Rouge, they used to have the street car races there.  to qualify, your car had to be tagged , insured, with all required items working. Like lights, horn, wipers, bumpers, exhaust, and dot tires. Then you had to drive a 30 mile road trip on the same day you raced.  all in one group. Not through city traffic and a determind speed though like 45 mph or something. But you had to complete the course, in order to qualify.

My '69 would meet all the above qualifications.  I drive it somewhere every weekend.  But by some peoples definition, my car would not meet the street car criteria because it is too quick and it has modified suspension and rear tires. Rear tires are DOT approved by the way.  Those who were at Carlisle in '06 saw me drive it back and forth the 18 miles each way, every day we were there. I also drove it to the social events. I would call mine a street car, but others here would not. Same with SledgeHammers Dart. It is a street car, pump gas and all.   :2thumbs: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Cooter

• christinecarclub.com
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010 - 01:27:11 PM »
You guys know what i'm referring to, but for the sake of arguement, a Corvette is sold as a "Race car" IMO...This is why everybody wants "vette" sh*t on their cars as an "upgrade"...

It's the same thing with the Viper, Vette, Porche, Lamborghini, Bently, Mercedes, Etc...Any Super car IMO, is considered sold as a Race type car...This is where I draw the line at..I guess i'm moreof a S/S type person where it gets down to who knows the most about tuning their ride for thelowest ET rather than who has the most money and can buy showroom HP...

I didn't say completely stock, but in order for the Term Street car to mean the same across the board, there are a few criteria that the cars ust meet in order to be called a true street car...

Just because your $100K Mustang with a 331 SB will go 50 Miles without overheating, doesn't mean it isn't a Race car with turn signals and wipers..There's radiator systems out there that will cool 2500 HP so overheating has become a thing of the past as long as the block isn't creted...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010 - 01:30:13 PM by Cooter »

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010 - 02:38:38 PM »
Just because your $100K Mustang with a 331 SB will go 50 Miles without overheating, doesn't mean it isn't a Race car with turn signals and wipers..There's radiator systems out there that will cool 2500 HP so overheating has become a thing of the past as long as the block isn't creted...

sorry, but if it is legal for the road, and can meet the state criteria, then it doesnt matter about hp level. There are different levels of street cars.   Pure stock, modified, and super street.  sounds like your kinda hung up on modified. Some states make it tougher by having to have an anual inspection.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010 - 02:23:16 AM »
well under your criteria I fit that all! I dont run slicks or race gas either! I have full interior and full exhaust! the ONLY thing I do different at the track is air the tires down! (how many can say that) and 1000 rpm idle! I can better that  :lol2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V74cnr_Xjl4

When Alan gets done with the cuda it will fit in that criteria.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Cooter

• christinecarclub.com
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010 - 07:56:02 AM »

sorry, but if it is legal for the road, and can meet the state criteria, then it doesnt matter about hp level. There are different levels of street cars.   Pure stock, modified, and super street.  sounds like your kinda hung up on modified. Some states make it tougher by having to have an anual inspection.

And that right there is why I have a problem with the NMCA "Street car" shootouts right today...Those cars are NOT "Street cars" IMO...Just because it will pass a certain states laws does NOT make it a "Street car"..Hell, in Germany, or whatever, you can drive at 200 MPH on that Autobaun, that doesn't mean you can do it here in the States...So should be allow a "Street car" that will do 250 MPH in Gemany, race HERE with American cars that are set up to Run at `100 MPH?  THIS is what I'm referring to here...Just because it's legal in your state, doesn't mean THAT's the bar for the entire "Street car" class.....What's legal in one area, isn't in another.....Make it the toughest state in the USA as far as HP laws, and such, and Make the "Street cars" adhere to that...I can bet there'd be more 10.0 Second 1/4 milers than 6.0 second then...

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010 - 09:07:26 AM »
were not mixing other countries together here Cooter.  also, on the streets, even tho we can do excessive speeds, we still do the speed limits posted on highways.