Author Topic: Where can I buy a GOOD fuel tank sender lock ring and gasket?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Where can I buy a GOOD fuel tank sender lock ring and gasket?
« on: October 30, 2010 - 07:48:39 AM »
I am finally getting around to trying the "add a wire from the float arm to the body of the sending unit" trick to try and get solid and consistent readings from my aftermarket fuel sending unit.

The locking ring the new unit came with is one of the ones that are a bit small and flimsy.  I made it work the last time, bending it a bit, using some permatex sealer and being really careful....that stopped the big leak I had.

But now I figure when I pull it apart to add the extra wire, the gasket will be an issue due to the permatex and I would like to get the RIGHT ring.

At the Carlisle Mopar event this summer I bought a cool wrench for the lock ring made by a a vendor...cant recall his name or the business name....but he said he also had GOOD locking rings....at the time I passed.

Any chance anyone knows who/what vendor I am talking about, or where I can get GOOD correct locking rings and gaskets?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Where can I buy a GOOD fuel tank sender lock ring and gasket?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010 - 09:28:17 AM »
 :popcorn:  I still have to replace my sender unit . I have a new one, just thought I'd learn ......
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010 - 10:05:29 AM »
I just read this and it got me thinking since I have my tank on my bench right now it`s real easy to try this idea I had.What if you take a piece of 16 Ga. metal and make a spacer with it (just a big washer).Place it between the sending unit and lock ring.The extra thickness might be enough to help the thinner lock rings seal.I can make one later today and I`ll post the results and some photos.

Just for the record I had a new gasket and lock ring with original sending unit on my tank and it felt pretty snug but I have not put any gas in it yet so I don`t know if it could leak.Tank ring and gasket were from Rockauto.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010 - 07:47:37 PM »
The aftermarket ones also seem to be slightly smaller in diameter...so its easy to get it cocked in there wrong and it doesnt cinch one side down.....ask me how I found that out....LOL

I am really kicking myself for tossing the original rusty one.

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010 - 12:55:38 AM »
Well I made a spacer for my lock ring it took a little more effort than I thought still made it in less than an hour.I first just sandwiched it between lock ring and sending unit but lock ring slid around way too much and could pop out so that was a no go.Next I tack welded it to the lock ring and cut out a notch in my homemade spacer to slip it beneath gas tank tabs it is a much tighter fit than just the ring alone and harder to tap into place,but I figure that is a good thing since if it`s loose it`ll leak.The 16. gauge steel I used to make the spacer with added just the right amount of thickness to lock ring when compared to a stock lock ring.
Use a good pair of tin snips and sand down all the sharp edges and any burrs before installing on tank

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010 - 01:59:34 AM »
I ended up buying one on ebay......a vendor named "mainlymopars".

The locking ring is waaaaay thicker than the aftermarket one. Works fine!