Author Topic: Please take this poll---> New Cuda  (Read 6248 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: Please take this poll---> New Cuda
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010 - 03:41:08 PM »
The design and wieght of the Challenger was dictated by having to use an existing platform so there had to be some compromises.I think we are lucky that we have a 2dr musclecar from Chysler as I never thought it would happen.A new `cuda on a new platfrorm would be great but I don`t see that happening so I`d be very happy with a better version of the current Challenger.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010 - 07:54:05 PM »
The design and wieght of the Challenger was dictated by having to use an existing platform so there had to be some compromises.I think we are lucky that we have a 2dr musclecar from Chysler as I never thought it would happen.A new `cuda on a new platfrorm would be great but I don`t see that happening so I`d be very happy with a better version of the current Challenger.
:iagree:  What he said.
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline MrNormsTA

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010 - 09:18:54 PM »
My gosh, you naysayers should be happy that they even considered our middle age market, pony car loving, complain about anything group, that can find any reason to bash anything that is not pure to original70 or 71 fortunate! I bet if any of you critics got behind the wheel of a new challenger and drove it over 10 miles you would love the feel, performance, comfort and over all nostalgia of the old car wrapped in a new shell. I am a purist at heart, but I have to admit that driving my wifes new furious fuschia challenger makes me wonder why I spend thousands of dollars a year on a hobby that returns little than a hope of finally getting 1 of my projects done before I die. I finally drove my fathers 08 SRT after he had owned it for 2 summers. I purposely tried not to because I knew I would want one. Well the wife had no problem getting a new car for her, since I can drive my T/A anytime, it only seemed right for her to have one. I have talked to several new challenger owners and they all LOVE their cars! I wonder if all the critics are just sore because they can't afford a new one?

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010 - 10:49:43 PM »
To me the Magnum & 300 are better looking for the new cars, that is all.

I am sure they drive about the same as the new Challenger?

I have not driven any of them, can't afford them either, but on looks alone the other two win, just one man's opinion.

If I DID have the money to buy a new one, I would rather buy an old one & drive it, but that's me.  ;)

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010 - 07:01:09 AM »
My gosh, you naysayers should be happy that they even considered our middle age market, pony car loving, complain about anything group, that can find any reason to bash anything that is not pure to original70 or 71 fortunate! I bet if any of you critics got behind the wheel of a new challenger and drove it over 10 miles you would love the feel, performance, comfort and over all nostalgia of the old car wrapped in a new shell. I am a purist at heart, but I have to admit that driving my wifes new furious fuschia challenger makes me wonder why I spend thousands of dollars a year on a hobby that returns little than a hope of finally getting 1 of my projects done before I die. I finally drove my fathers 08 SRT after he had owned it for 2 summers. I purposely tried not to because I knew I would want one. Well the wife had no problem getting a new car for her, since I can drive my T/A anytime, it only seemed right for her to have one. I have talked to several new challenger owners and they all LOVE their cars! I wonder if all the critics are just sore because they can't afford a new one?

I've driven them. They drive quite a bit like my wifes magnum. And while I do enjoy driving my wifes magnum, it lacks the old school muscle car feel.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline MrNormsTA

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010 - 08:41:17 AM »
Good point Barry, I must admit that I really like the 300's as well. Very sharp!

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010 - 08:57:53 AM »
everyone will have there own take on the NEW vs OLD challenger, Some can't understand why the NEW challengers are the way they are. IF Chrysler re-invents the Barracuda, I am sure it will share the same platform LC/LX as the challenger. OLD production/safety standards cannot be put into play just styling hughes. AS for the new Challenger like it leave it. Dont complain if you havent drivin a new or and old version. There is no comparison old vs New.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010 - 09:11:43 AM »
And then there`s those who take an old Challenger or `cuda and put in modern suspension and drivetrain to make it feel like a new car.To me an old musclecar should feel and drive like an old musclecar b/c that`s what makes it cool and if I want a new car feel i`ll buy a new Challenger.  :2cents:
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010 - 09:13:27 AM »

For years we had no 2dr v8 rwd drive cars from Chrysler and now that we finally have one people still complain.  :clueless:
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline inviolet

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010 - 11:01:55 AM »

LC/LX is a great platform BUT NOT FOR A 2 DOOR CAR. Chrysler NEEDS A NEW 2 DOOR SPECIFIC PLATFORM  :2thumbs: Something Like a Viper that fits 4 seats........ :bigsmile:

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010 - 11:14:43 AM »
This has been beat to death on this board many times, but since I love this topic I'll chime in again.

The new Challenger does not feel like the old Challenger.  There's a reason for that, it's not supposed to.

1)  The old Challenger is a death trap by modern standards.   No airbags.  No ABS.  No traction control.  Most don't even have disc brakes.  Static seat belts (one of which is more like a neck strap than a seat belt), and only lap belts in the rear.  An unadjustable steering wheel.  The new Challenger is big and heavy because there's a lot of stuff included to keep you alive.  Go back and look at the pictures of that smashed up yellow car.  Those people walked away.  In a 1970-74 Challenger those people are dead or severely maimed.

2)  Most of the people who are interested in the new Challenger are of an age group that likes more amenities and comfort than the original Challenger provided.  If you want a modern Mopar that gives you a driving experience more akin to the orignal Challenger you should be looking for an SRT-4 Neon or Caliber.

Offline inviolet

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010 - 11:50:35 AM »

"The new Challenger is big and heavy because there's a lot of stuff included to keep you alive." 

No disrespect, but that sounds like a pile of Bull-  :poopoke:   

There are many Lightweight/Fast cars out there that have a safe ride these days.....

Bottom line, If Your gonna build Another Muscle Car its needs to be able to do this from the factory

BUT BETTER  ;)

and this...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010 - 12:01:25 PM by inviolet »

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010 - 04:02:06 PM »
No disrespect, but that sounds like a pile of Bull-  :poopoke:   

There are many Lightweight/Fast cars out there that have a safe ride these days.....

In a crash I like my chances in a Challenger better than in a Lotus Elise.

I'm not saying the Challenger couldn't stand to lose a few pounds, but being based on the Charger platform isn't all bad.  The back seats in the Mustang and Camaro are useless for anyone that has legs.  Going back to my comment about who this car is marketed to, a functional back seat is a good thing.  The original Challenger was marketed to young people with few responsibilities.  Young people can't afford this car.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010 - 06:00:48 PM »
Been thinking about this some more and you know historically Challengers & Cudas had a few extra lbs over their competition.  Don't know if that still being the case with their current reincarnations is a good thing or a repeated mistake, but they've never been considered svelt but were always more comfortable but still high performing cars.  They must have done something right back then for them to be such desired cars today.  Just sayin...   I've already told the wife I want a new Cuda if they come out with it.  Made her day I'm sure.  :2cents:

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline bandt

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010 - 09:31:37 PM »
I'm always astonished at the "your bitter cause you can't afford one" comment. Some guys have more money tied up in there drivetrain then a new Challenger is worth. So I don't think that is the case with a lot of people here. Also not sure how someone's economic status has any impact on there opinion of a car. I can't afford a 71 Hemi Cuda but I don't not like them because of it.