Author Topic: Speedo error - odometer correct  (Read 4219 times)

Offline mrwfp

Speedo error - odometer correct
« on: November 06, 2010 - 10:31:14 PM »
I replaced the 36 tooth speedo gear in the transmission box (4 speed) with a 42 tooth gear because my speedo was off by 30 percent (showed 60 mph when actually at 45 mph).  I have 295/50/15 tires and a 4.10 rear end and all speedo calculators show the 42 tooth as the correct gear for this set up. The ododmeter appears to be reasonably correct as it showed 107 miles after a trip that both Mapquest and GPS showed as a 106 mile trip.  However, the speedometer was still off by 15 percent (showed 69 mph when actual speed was 60 mph).  If I go to a 48 tooth gear, I believe the speedometer will then be correct but won't the odometer now be short 15 percent? How does one get both correct?

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: Speedo error - odometer correct
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010 - 10:50:32 PM »
The 2 should work together, no seperate adjustments.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010 - 07:40:58 AM »

The 2 should work together, no seperate adjustments.
:iagree:
I believe, unless you take it out and have it reconditioned, you will just have to choose which reading you prefer to be correct.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010 - 08:37:20 AM »
if the odometer is correct then the problem is in the guage & it would need to be lubed & cleaned or rebuilt

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010 - 09:51:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, the speedo was already cleaned and rebuilt but like a lot of other parts that have been rebuilt by or purchased through supposed Mopar experts, they do not work correctly beyond the 90 day warranty periods.  My thought is to get a 48 tooth gear and let the speedo be correct as I don't like to have to compensate for what the speed actually is in real time.  I'd rather apply a 15 percent fudge factor to the odometer mileage to keep track of fuel usage as I fill the tank.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010 - 12:42:36 PM »
Keep in mind that the charts are just a ballpark , you could still be off by one tooth either way..

My Cuda 275/60/15 w/3.55 said to use a 33 tooth, it was off 1/10 mile for every 3 miles that I drove. I put in a 34 tooth and it is on the money.

Same go's for my friends Dart said to use a 38 tooth with his combo, off the same amount , we put in a 39 tooth, dead nuts..

P.S. measure your tire, Just because your tire size is let say 275/60/15 which should be 27.9 it could be off a little, every tire mfg. is or could be a couple or few tenths different..

Hope that helps some..... :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010 - 12:47:26 PM by vinb »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010 - 02:28:44 PM »
I agree with what Vin says. Use the charts as a guide. I also was "supposed" to need a 33, but it took a 34 to make it correct.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010 - 07:21:43 PM »
It occurred to me, & I know virtually nothing about speedo.odo workings, that maybe the needle is just in the wrong place....needs to be removed & backed up 9-MPH..... Just a crazy idea.  :dunno:   
  Or a combination of the two
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010 - 07:28:03 PM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010 - 08:42:18 PM »
I don't think moving the needle will help as it is a consistent 15 percent off.  When I am actually moving at 60 mph, the needle shows 69, but at an actual speed of 20 mph, the needle shows 23. When the speedo was reworked, they must have put in the wrong gear that drives the needle as the odometer readout is correct. The speedo was reworked over a year ago but since the car was completed only recently, it's too late to do anything about it.  That's the problem with restoring a car and taking a year or so to do it.  You buy or have the parts reworked and when the car is finally ready, the warranties are long expired even though the parts have never actually been in use.

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010 - 09:51:48 PM »
If the odometer is close or correct to actual the problem of speed is with the speedometer it's self.  The odometer is a gear drive device and only changes if you physically change the drive gears.  The speedometer needle has no direct connection with the cable or gear drives.  It operates by electromagnetic force and has to be calibrated to match the speed the car should be going. This requires a speciality shop or a very innovative ammature.  I'm restoring my 70 Challenger and reset my odometer back to zero.  This was an interesting experience but once I figured it out it is a 5 minute job, assuming the unit is out of the car. 
On determining tire size for calculating distance and speed, don't bother with the charts.  With car sitting on level ground measure from the ground to the center of the hub or axel and double that number.  As an example If you measure 13.25 inches and double it your rolling diameter is 26.50.  This will allow for car weight, tire wear and variances between manfacturers and is much more accurate than the charts. 
The Brewmaster

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010 - 06:05:53 PM »
Whether it is electromagnetic force or a gear, the speed displayed on the dial is a function of the speedo gear in the transmission case.  When I had a 36 tooth gear, the speed was always off by 30 percent.  Now with a 42 tooth gear, it's off by only 15 percent.  The electromagnetic force that moves the needle is caused by the rotation of something in the speedo - either the odometer gear or the cable itself turning.  The cable turns relative to the gear size in the transmission case, thus changing the electromagnetic force that is generated and applied to the needle.  I appreciate your response but that calibration is exactly what was supposed to happen when the speedo was sent in during the restore. And of course, I could not verify a correct calibration until the whole car is together and running.  I am not about to take out the dash at this time to remove the speedo and go through the process again.

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010 - 10:56:08 AM »
To have a correctly reading odometer or a correctly reading speedometer is a choice you have to make since you don't want to do a recalibration.  The speedometer is more "necessary" since it could be costly to get a speeding ticket.  Or, maybe you could just explain it to the Officer.  I'm sure he hasen't heard that one before!
The Brewmaster

Offline mrwfp

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010 - 06:09:32 PM »
No, actually there is another way.  I have been driving the car a lot on the highway and with 4.10 gears in the rear, the engine has to wind higher than it really needs to.  Since I don't race the car either at the strip or on the street, 4.10 gears are not really needed.  I have a 3.55 gear kit that I got over a year ago and if I swap to 3.55 gears, the speedo will be correct with the 42 tooth gear in the tranny.  Of course, then the odometer will be short 15 percent but I can deal with that.  I just don't want to take apart the dash to get the speedo out as that is a real pain. I have been driving with the speedo off by 30 percent ever since the car was completed but I knew it was off from the first time that I drove it. With a 15 percent error, I can easily calculate the proper speed to be displayed. I guess my point of this whole thing is that I am annoyed at the vendors that I have used to either buy parts from or have parts repaired/reconditioned.  Because restoring a car takes time, by the time you are done, you have exceeded the part's expressed warranty period and you had never actually got to use the part yet.  Just like my wiper motor. It cost a bundle to buy, worked perfectly when it was bench checked when it was installed, then months later when the car is out for a drive for the first time, the wipers initially worked but when the switch was turned off, they stopped in mid-wipe and failed to park. I bench checked it again at home and the park circuit fails. Same thing with the instrument cluster voltage regulator. Worked fine for 3 weeks then the oil, water and fuel gauges stopped working. It's just annoying because the vendors won't do anything after the warranty period even though the part was really never used until the car was finished and drivable.

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010 - 08:20:38 PM »
I understand the problem of expired warrantees perfectely.  I'm in my 4th year restoring my Challenger and by the time it gets on the road nothing will be covered by warranty--- excepty maybe the battery that I haven't bought yet. Guess that's life for us restorers.    :cheers: :wavingflag:, Happy Armistist Day!
The Brewmaster

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010 - 04:36:41 PM »
did you know your speedometer is only correct with new tires?  as they wear down to 20% worn, your gps will show as much as 3 mph different than your speed. even my new truck does this and my  personal truck. that is when I start noticing tire wear. My gps will show 70 and my speedo shows 73 and 72.   Just for an FYI  this is why cops dont really bother you going 5 over most of the time :2thumbs: