Put yours to bed yet?

Author Topic: Put yours to bed yet?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Put yours to bed yet?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010 - 03:48:15 PM »
When do you guys typically break them out of storage ?

Well around here (SE Wis) I like to get the girls out by tax day ... April 15th. But 2-3 years ago the weather was so $#ity I think NIKKI got out the week before memorial day! Here its all about the weather. I usually start getting the itch around  my birthday -Mar 1, but the roads are full of salt (they use it by the ton here not the pound LOL) and residue. Although we can get some days 40ish temps. I usually wait till a hard rain to clean up the streets!  :burnout:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010 - 04:29:49 PM »

the roads are full of salt (they use it by the ton here not the pound LOL) and residue. Although we can get some days 40ish temps. I usually wait till a hard rain to clean up the streets!  :burnout:

If you guys need salt, I got plenty of it near me about 5 miles away.   :grinyes:
This is a picture of the Salt factory. They harvest it from the bay.

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010 - 05:58:08 PM »
put a few miles on it today
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010 - 06:35:06 PM »
I had put the convertible up for the winter a few weeks ago, but had to wait on the '71 Challenger because it was signed up to appear at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals car show last weekend.  Fortunately the weather has held up around here, some real cold but no snow or salt yet!  Today was near 50 and sunny, so I got the '71 ready for winter.  The temp guage hasn't worked, and my friend lent me a sender unit he had sitting around, so I changed that out first, I wasn't as fast as I thought I'd be so I dumped a quart or 2 of coolant on the floor in the process!  But the new one works, so I then added some Stabil and took a drive to warm it up. 
Stopped at a Shell station to get some gas, and a guy in a new Mercedes followed me in and told me he bought a new '70 Challenger back in the day, a lime green 318 car.  That was cool to meet someone who bought one new 40 years ago!
Then changed the oil at my house and parked the car in the garage. Sunvisors are down, just need to get some Bounce sheets in the interior and maybe some steel wool pads in the exhaust tips to thwart those pesky mice, and its ready for winter. Now time to mark off the days until spring!
I still need to get the '09 ready for winter, I want to change the filter and oil, which I haven't done yet so I don't know what to expect.  I may just get lazy and stop at a dealer, I am so busy though, I don't know when I will do that, I don't want that car to get exposed to salt though, so I better do something soon!!  I have 3000 miles on the oil and filter since it was changed in March, doesn't have to be done but I think it should before the car sits 3 or 4 months.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010 - 06:38:42 PM by JH27N0B »

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010 - 06:44:47 PM »
I grew up in minnesota so I can at least relate a little bit.  4 to 5 months is not too bad.  I think I would want some snowmobiles as a distraction.

Offline sadil340

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010 - 09:05:21 PM »
My cars go away for the winter and back out in the spring based on when the salt/sand mix arrives and is finally swept off. As long as there is no salt or sand on the road the Cuda is prowling.

As to the Tonefiend's post I bought a pair of snowmobiles exactly so we'd be able to have some motorized mayhem during the winter months!
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010 - 09:15:04 PM »
Fast asleep for a long winters (or two) nap!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010 - 10:06:03 PM »
Mine's still at The Rod's Shop. Prolly for awhile , yet.

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010 - 11:03:48 PM »
My Cuda is put away for the winter for sure now as we had some snow and some ice on the roads so out came the salt trucks  :eek4: No more drivin her till probley May now of next year  :crying: But on the brite side i can do what i planned on doing to her now  :bigsmile:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline 360FISH

• BS23H3B567746
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010 - 01:08:47 AM »
Well living in So. Cal does have one good thing going for it...  no sleeping for cars.    :2thumbs:

Otherwise it's a looney bin.

1973 ‘Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to ’72 offset

Build: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=74674.0

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010 - 11:03:37 AM »
No snow here yet.... BUT they started salting last nite!!! Its coming my way...  :swear:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010 - 03:43:53 PM »
Well living in So. Cal does have one good thing going for it...  no sleeping for cars.    :2thumbs:

Otherwise it's a looney bin.

Yup! it's really easy to envy you at this time of the year! Especialy with this coming.....My front yard 2 winters ago.... :puke:

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Cdnchallenger

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010 - 04:00:55 PM »
Have not put mine away yet. No snow or salt yet but living in Ontario I know I am taking my chances. Maybe this weekend.

:canada:

Offline cj

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010 - 09:24:56 PM »
Mine's still on standby.  The last few weeks she's been running better than ever.  Haven't had it out for a week, it's been cold here but no snow yet.  I stop driving them when the salt hits the roads and bring them out when it's clear.   Best year was a couple years ago when I drove it till December and was back out again mid March, a nice cruise to the lake.  Drove the charger until yesterday, two snowflakes and when I got to work there was a truckload of salt on the parking lot ground.  I was ticked, but it was too late.  The few snowflakes were gone by noon,  the truckload of salt was still there today.  Oh well, gots lots of winter projects planned.
Cheryl
"Mopar or No Car"
1973 Challenger
1974 Barracuda
2006 Charger Daytona Torred

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010 - 03:26:06 AM »
I had a nice drive today.   I headed out to the back country of San Diego to carve up some mountain canyons and curves.   What a blast! The car is running like a champ.  Let me tell you it's not my Mini Cooper!   I almost lost it in a curve when I nearly slid right off the seat!