Author Topic: Another gas tank Question  (Read 955 times)

Offline bandt

Another gas tank Question
« on: November 08, 2010 - 08:33:39 PM »
I have a 72 Challenger with the newer style tank. 4 vent tubes going into a manifold mounted to the shock support under the trunk. The previous owner had removed all the smog equipment on the car. The only thing that remains is the hoses to the manifold from the tank, which were leaking . I am going to be using the 70-71 flip up gas cap. My question is can I cap the smog tubes on the tank? Will the flip up cap allow enough air in the tank to prevent vapour lock?

Thanks,
Brian

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
Re: Another gas tank Question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010 - 10:59:39 PM »
use one tube as a vent / put a small filter on it (air filter type) use the highest one .
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Another gas tank Question
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010 - 10:11:22 AM »
71-74 and 70's with California emissions, used a sealed gas cap.  If you block the vapor lines you need to use a vented cap.

I'd still retain the vapor separator on the x-member.  There are four tubes that come out of the tank and four tubes going into the separator.  Run a line off of the one tube that comes out of the separator.  Run the line up higher then the tank and put a filter on it.  If your 1/4" vapor line is still under the car that runs up into the engine compartment I'd reuse it instead of making a new line.

Make sure your separator is in working order.  If it's rusted up inside, soak it in EvapoRust and it will free up.  You can tell if it's working properly by plugging the four inlet tubes with your fingures.  Then suck and blow on the outlet tube.  There is an internal valve that you will feel open and close.