Author Topic: clips for windshield and rear window trim  (Read 2096 times)

Offline femtnmax

clips for windshield and rear window trim
« on: November 10, 2010 - 08:37:21 PM »
On my 74 challenger, these trim clips snap onto studs that are welded to the unibody.
I had bought the reproduction clips simillar to OEM, but the shape wasn't correct; the top of the clip was almost at right angle to the flange on the trim, so the trim wouldn't snap in place without damaging the trim.  Also the portion of the clip that actually holds the trim in place was a simple thin blade which held the trim 'down' but did not stop up/down movement of the trim.
So I talked with three different outfits that delt with auto glass, then researched the net.
Found clips of correct height, that have a curved flange/bulb that has an angle to the top of the clip which allows for easy "snap" in place installation of the trim, plus the clips have a "bulb" with an edge that positively holds the clip in place; holds the trim down in place and prevents up/down motion.  Part numbers that I used:
Tall clips, same height as OEM:  71-3467
Shorter clips, fit where there is a height restriction:  83-5726
Both clips are supplied by crlaurence.com
Phil

Offline cj

Re: clips for windshield and rear window trim
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010 - 11:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll be needing it...but first

How do you get the trim off.  Mine's so loose on the passenger side I can hear it when I'm driving down the road.  I can pull it out a bit, but I can't figure out how to take it off.
Cheryl
"Mopar or No Car"
1973 Challenger
1974 Barracuda
2006 Charger Daytona Torred

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010 - 12:18:41 PM »
I got new clips from Tom at R/T Specialties.  I don't know how that trim come off or goes on.  I'm not to that point yet.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010 - 02:36:50 PM »
How do you get the trim off. 

I removed the trim using tool # KD 2038, available at some NAPA, or at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Tools-2038-Window-Molding-Remover/dp/B0002SRCN8

I filed the ends of the 'teeth' down to a sharper point, and rebent the ends a little to allow the tool to lay flat against the glass, yet reach up to the "S" bend in the clip.  Slide the tool between window glass and metal trim, then hook the tool behind the clip that holds the trim in place.  Pivot the tool, which pulls the clip away from the trim piece, but don't put too much upward pressure on the trim or the trim has a harder time popping loose from the clip.   Then either twist the tool slightly, or use a second flat blade scraper to lift up on the trim.  It will pop loose.  The clip may stay on the car, or may fall loose.
To remove the clips from the car, I made a tool from a thick blade scraper that looks like the tool in the bottom of the pic from this amazon listing:
http://www.amazon.com/DOOR-PANEL-TRIM-Windshield-REMOVAL/dp/B000NGIPP8

With this last tool, and the trim removed exposing the clip, I use the tool to pry up on the clip.  As you pry up, you may need a small flat blade screw driver to hold the clip away from the car body, or the sharp edge of the clip may chip/damage the car paint clear coat.  Ask me how I figured this out!!!  The replacement clips I ended up using have a rounded backside that doesn't damage the paint like the sharp edge of the OEM style replacement clips.  Then slide a small blade flat blade screw driver under the clip, pry up gently, and pivot the clip up and off the stud welded to the unibody.

To install the trim line it up with the clips, and press down with your thumb.  The trim will easily snap in place with the clips I suggested.  The problem I had with the oem style replacement clips is the trim would not snap in place because the top of the clip was at a right angle to the trim flange, rather than with an angle like the original clips that came on my challenger.
This is what I did, not saying its the best way to do it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010 - 02:49:50 PM by femtnmax »
Phil