master cylinder question??

Author Topic: master cylinder question??  (Read 1268 times)

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
master cylinder question??
« on: November 15, 2004 - 09:38:34 AM »
My Challenger has power brakes, so it is a little packed in with the 440.
When I bought the car, there was evidence of a leak from the master cylinder ( peeled paint behind and around the darn thing  gripe )
When I took a closer look the master guru I bought the car from, his solution to the leak that appeared to be coming from the resivoir itself was to double up on the rubber gasket between the master cylinder and the cap.

I figured that any car I value is worth replacing a simple master cylider just to be sure, as I've seen them leak out the back of the pushrod area anyway. I replaced it and behold still the same situation. Not leaking bad enough to be unsafe but enough to ruin any painted surfaces under the hood.

My 440 does have headers, am I possibly overheating the brake fluid?? Can you boil over brake fluid?

Also, I'm thinking of replacing all of my lines,as they are 30 years old and I like to get my car up to freeway speeds( on the freeway ). Does anyone have a good link for a place that would sell replacement brake goodies like the steel and rubber lines.
Just want to make sure as fun as it is going fast I can stop when I want!! burnout
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: master cylinder question??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004 - 02:42:44 PM »
sounds like you have a problem with the rebuilt master you bought , if it is recent it may stil be covered under the rebuilders warranty

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004 - 05:33:00 PM »
For your brake lines, give these guys a look. 

http://inlinetube.com/

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004 - 06:40:28 AM »
Thanks MEKrunner - that was exactly what I was looking for  wasted

The ONLY good thing about winter is I can take my car apart for an extended period and it doesn't bother me.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio