Author Topic: Bumblebee stripes  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Bumblebee stripes
« on: November 15, 2010 - 03:43:43 AM »
Thinking about doing a bumblebee stripe on my car. 

What do you guys think?  I now have a ralley hood and wheel well trim is on the way.  I am thinking of doing the stripe on the hood with DODGE letters and a 340 4bbl callout for the motor I have for it.  Would it look good with the T/A spoiler?   Also since the car is already painted and polished out in single stage paint, I am thinking of doing it in SEM trim black which is a satin finish. I am going to use it on the spoiler too.  Good idea?  Also these unilug Keystones are not sticking around too much longer.  Ralley wheels or Torque Thrust Ds will be on shortly. 

Anyone have a pic of a bumblebee stripe with a T/A spoiler?

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Bumblebee stripes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010 - 10:54:04 AM »
I don't know if it will look good with the spoiler or not.  Maybe someone can photoshop the strip on there so you can see what it looks like.

ALso, you could go buy some wide painters tape and lay out the strip.  That would be a cheap way of seeing how it will look.  You can also look at it from mulitple angles that way too.

Offline chaps70rt

• 70 Challenger R/T Hardtop in Progress (Canada)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011 - 04:43:50 PM »
Never seen a Challenger with the Bumble Bee stripes and the spoiler.  It may look too busy back there.   I think you need to decide which one and then stick with the plan.   Although the spoiler is cool and looks correct on the T/A, I personally like the clean lines produced by the bumble bee stripes ... and its association with the Scat Pack promotion back in the day.  I am also not a fan of the side stripes as I believe it takes away from the body lines.  Just my opinion ..... as Jack Nicholson said "Opinions are like @$$ Holes, everyone got one".    Do what feels right.

Nice ride ..... CHAPS
White 1970 Challenger R/T
440 - 4BBL - Shaker
Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge RAM 1500
Stouffville, Ontario Canada

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011 - 04:58:14 PM »
I want to see a pic of it with that nice wheelwell trim on it ;)
Thats a sweet looking car :cooldancing:

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011 - 05:16:35 PM »
Got any higher res side-on & aerial shots (similar to what you have above)?

I can easily Photoshop one on there, but that image is a little too small, plus it's in & out of shadows.

Here's a few of Dave Robson's recently sold - I used his as it was the only one I could think of off the top of my head with a rear spoiler.

I know the stripe's not exact, but good enough for an idea:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 - 05:34:13 PM by _Russ_ »

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011 - 06:05:51 PM »
The spoiler actually blends in well.   Never really paid that much attention but now.............Looks good...................
Dave or David

Offline _Russ_

• Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011 - 06:53:06 PM »

... and the artsy-fartsy version:

:2thumbs:

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011 - 07:33:44 PM »
I went with the 340 all outs ont he ralleye hood and a bumble bee stripe-so you know my vote, but I think the stripe and spoiler are too much

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011 - 10:47:16 PM »
Thanks Russ!  That looks good imho. 

Moparclown,  I will get some updated pics.  The trim is on and looks good!  Thanks again for that.   I also have a ralley hood now, but have not painted it yet. It's still flat black. What an improvement that makes!

I have been trying very hard to stay away from, and not think about my car. It's been difficult, and the 6 weeks of lousy weather and rain have helped.  I am building a new shop for my business and cannot be side tracked with my time or $$$ at this point lol!

I am thinking I need to change the wheels before I make a decision on the stripe.  Either Torq thrust Ds or stock ralleys.   I plan on putting the T/A spoiler on the front as well. 

Chaps, I like the Scat pack theme.  I have a 340 block to build, and am thinking of making it into an a66 clone since I have the rear valence exhaust and ralley hood.   Or just build it as the mutt it is with all the stuff I like. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 - 10:52:01 PM by tonefiend »

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011 - 10:18:22 PM »
It was a nice day today so I took her for a spin and shot some pictures.  I don't think the wheel molding looks as good with the keystones as it will with the ralley wheels or torq thrust Ds I plan on putting on. 

More photos.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/72593510@N00/sets/72157623078168198/

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011 - 10:23:42 PM by tonefiend »

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011 - 01:32:42 AM »
Looks good!  :thumbsup:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline _Russ_

• Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011 - 03:00:50 AM »
It was a nice day today so I took her for a spin and shot some pictures.  I don't think the wheel molding looks as good with the keystones as it will with the ralley wheels or torq thrust Ds I plan on putting on.

I don't think it's the wheels. The chrome trim just looks better as a package.

Drip rails by themselves look fine, but with the rest of the chrome trim for the side of the car - wheel arch, door top, side mirror - it's all or nothing. With no door chrome & a body-colour mirror, the chrome wheel-arch looks out of place.

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011 - 05:32:54 AM »
I don't think it's the wheels. The chrome trim just looks better as a package.

Drip rails by themselves look fine, but with the rest of the chrome trim for the side of the car - wheel arch, door top, side mirror - it's all or nothing. With no door chrome & a body-colour mirror, the chrome wheel-arch looks out of place.

Yeah thats it.  The previous owners aced  the trim, emblems and antenna.   Do the fenders have the holes drilled if the car did not come with the wheel trim? I like the trim, I would love to find the top of hood and door trim.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011 - 02:04:28 PM »
71's had studs for the rocker moulding, 72 had holes (or at least thats the clip package thats available)

:cheers:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline chaps70rt

• 70 Challenger R/T Hardtop in Progress (Canada)
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011 - 04:43:54 PM »
Hey ... the rallye hood looks terrific and way more balanced.   Not a fan of the aftermarket bubble hood scoop.   Too much of a traditionalist in some ways I guess?    Nice job.
White 1970 Challenger R/T
440 - 4BBL - Shaker
Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge RAM 1500
Stouffville, Ontario Canada