Author Topic: Package tray below rear window held in place by ????  (Read 3142 times)

Offline femtnmax

Package tray below rear window held in place by ????
« on: November 15, 2010 - 11:19:59 PM »
On a 74 chally, the package tray fits under the rear window interior trim. 
Does the front edge of the tray just get held in place by the rear seat?
Looks like there are placed in the unibody to fasten the tray in place...but....
Phil

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Package tray below rear window held in place by ????
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010 - 12:16:18 AM »
Pretty much although there are a couple of spring like clips on the forward corners (on my '73), how to transfer the clip holders to a new tray eludes me.

something like these
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010 - 08:21:17 AM »
I didnt realize there were clips in the front.
In the back it just rests up against the trim, and it fits under the plastic panels on the two sides, but in front I thought it just butted up against the back of the seat.
Since I installed some padding under there, now it bulges up behind the seatback, so it looks like I have another project to find those clips! Is one end of the clip visible when you look in the rear window?
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010 - 01:55:14 PM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010 - 08:44:28 AM »
Not visible... there are these rectangular metal pieces that are attached to the board that have a pocket for the hook end to slide in, then there are holes in the metal tray for the spring ends to snap in. I think the clips are standard door panel items you can P/U at autozone type places..the metal items could be created easily.... how to attach  :dunno:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010 - 08:47:54 AM by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010 - 09:58:23 AM »
The replacement package trays don't have any metal clip retainers on them.  My guess is that without the clips, the tray will vibrate and you'll get a noise while going over bumps in the road.  A last resort might be a few beads of silicone or weatherstripping adheasive under the tray.  Let us know what you end up doing.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010 - 10:22:42 AM »
Good point about the vibration, burdar.  :grinyes:

I wasn't aware about the clips.  I took my package try out a while ago and don't remember seeing clips, I probably lost them.  I thought the front edge was held by the rear seat.  :dunno:

Also keep in mind if you have speakers your speaker grills will help hold down the package tray.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010 - 01:57:10 PM »
I have a defroster too which tends to hold it down
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010 - 09:17:22 PM »
Thats what I get for tossing the old crap tray!!!  Never knew those metal brackets were there, or would be needed, because sure enough the new tray does not have the clips...just like the repro gas tanks don't have expansion chambers (would be easy to have the same expansion chamber in all the similar tanks,IMO).
I"ll bet I can get the clips from the parts yard, but how to attach them or the metal brackets.....HHHMMM.  This car is no trailer queen...a black screw with built in washer at each forward corner???   Will see what I come up with.
When I worked turning wrenches as a car mechanic, everything was held in place with screws, and more screws...none of the plastic snap together stuff.  So I kinda like the solid assembly & easy removal.  I guess I'm not scared of threaded fasteners.
The board I have has notches in it, one each side up near the seat back, maybe the clips would fit into the notches, but they might be visible when looking thru the back glass.
Thanks for all your comments, and helpfull pictures Bullitt!  All really a great help!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010 - 09:22:16 PM by femtnmax »
Phil

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010 - 09:44:28 PM »

The board I have has notches in it, one each side up near the seat back, maybe the clips would fit into the notches, but they might be visible when looking thru the back glass.

These go inboard from the notches in the OE...about even with the outer edges of the speaker openings...there should be small round holes in the metal for the clip.
 As for attaching Ive wondered if I stapled the metal to a large thin board of some kind then glued the board to the new tray....the factory had a machine that punched the metal which affixed it but I'm sure any attempt to simulate would damage the new package tray.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010 - 03:28:16 AM »
you can put screws under the end of the panel , it is hidden by the inner 1/4 panels , it may still buldge in the middle though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010 - 09:07:37 AM »
I have an aftermarket in mine with no screws or clips, and it lays nice and flat with no vibration noises or anything.  Maybe I just got lucky.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010 - 09:19:38 AM »
Yea, me too. No clips or glue and no problems.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010 - 08:35:23 PM »
you can put screws under the end of the panel , it is hidden by the inner 1/4 panels , it may still buldge in the middle though
I ended up with 1/4 inch thick carpet pad under the panel, anything thicker won't let the panel lay flat, and won't let the panel slip under the inside trim for back glass.
I mocked it up, and yes, the ends of the panel are coverd by the inner qtr panels, and the qtr panel screws hold everything together.  Also, the top of the rear seat back is above the flat panel, and the panel is held tight in place with the seat back in place, so 73chally and acudanut are totally correct.
Not sure if 74 is the same as other years, but there are no clips, the notches in the flat panel are to allow the screws to pass thru that hold down the inner qtr panels, and the very aft end of these qtr panels slip under the trim for inside of rear glass.  The glass trim even has a step formed into it giving extra room for the inner qtr panel to slide into.
I found my old package try, and not in the dumpster!!.  It is mopar oem, no metal clips or anything just the panel with felt glued to the backside, and has the notches which the aftermarket copied.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010 - 08:46:31 PM by femtnmax »
Phil