replacement rear quarter panels

Author Topic: replacement rear quarter panels  (Read 7892 times)

Offline rb70

replacement rear quarter panels
« on: November 17, 2010 - 11:02:54 PM »
On the drivers side, where the quarter panel meets the body.  I have a huge hole right under the trunk lid, right on the top left portion of the lid.

My question is twofold, one does anybody make a quarter panel replacement that goes all the way to the seam, I have asked several dealers and even AMD and nobody knows for sure.

Second part, whose panels line up the best?
Or is it a crap shoot and you never know what you get?

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: replacement rear quarter panels
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010 - 11:43:55 PM »
On the drivers side, where the quarter panel meets the body.  I have a huge hole right under the trunk lid, right on the top left portion of the lid.

My question is twofold, one does anybody make a quarter panel replacement that goes all the way to the seam, I have asked several dealers and even AMD and nobody knows for sure.

Second part, whose panels line up the best?

Got a pic of this hole?
Many will say go with AMD.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010 - 12:39:07 AM »
The quarter panel didn't line up in the back corner. (Barracuda 70) I tried everything. Bad fitting panel, I thought. After all I had bought it back in the 80:s. Been sitting in the garage for years.
I had the body in the rotisseries. Then I turned the body upside down and the panels slowly lined up! Like magic. Tacked the panels in place with the body upside down.
I think the body had sagged a bit when I removed the old panel.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010 - 02:07:41 AM »
It's more like a crap shoot with what the factory did.  These cars were not originally built perfectly and expecting the reproduced panels to be like legos is not reality.  Expect to do some "bodywork" to make it look perfect.  If it was just as simple as a puzzle, then everyone would be a professional body man.

Sorry to be so short, but it gets old hearing over and over people blame the reproduction parts when most of the time it's a number of other things (sometimes including the repro part).  How was your panel removed?  Has the car been on a jig (dolly) supporting the car from the at least 6 points on the frame the whole time the panel been off?  Make sure the car is in the exact same spot (marked on the floor) as when you took the panel off.  Remember these cars are unibody and need the complete body to be structurally sound.  At best, there is a lot of flex even with all the panels on.  That's why so many people add subframe connectors, front and rear torque boxes and other stiffening techniques.  You can only imagine how much movement the body can have with a large panel missing.  The little things make a big difference and can make the panel not fit.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010 - 08:35:55 AM »
Got a pic of this hole?
Many will say go with AMD.

I agree. And would recommend AMD .They have by far best fitting parts and are thicker than Goodmark.

Post pics of the rust damage. ANd if you want a good discount on AMD, send PM, I'll get take care of you
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010 - 10:29:18 AM »
Are you talking about like theres a small half moon shaped hole about a half inch right where the curved edge meets the tail panel corner? Mine had that. I epoxied a small metal piece then filler'd it. You can't see it normally.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Brant

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010 - 10:47:11 AM »
I used AMD for everything except quarters. After comparing about 15 challengers under the same roof, all with either NOS or Goodmark Q-panels, I decided to go with AMD's. I was actually cutting off my Goodmark skins as I hated how they were done a few years back.

I was very happy with the AMD's in hand, but after lengthy trial fittings, discussions and continued comparisons – we had to exchange them for Goodmarks. Although the Goodmarks had all the flaws that bothered me, they were all fixable. The AMD issue was not! Basically, from the body line up it was extremely flat. There was no outward curve to them and the lower kickout seemed to start too early - which makes the body line not seem as aggressive. If the AMD Quarter had this, I'd go with AMD - hands down. What bothers me, is I read every post on multiple sites about AMD and Goodmark comparisons prior to purchasing and no one mentioned this issue. weird.

Anyways, my quarters look really good now. Took a lot of work though and cost me a fortune. Looking back, I should have found some NOS 72-74 and swapped out the light. The body line on NOS ones are sooooo beautiful.

Offline challengerminded

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010 - 10:00:28 AM »
The full quarter should go the roof panel and also to the dutchman panel (filler piece between rear window and trunk.
You could fix that section and save a few bucks.

You might also need the gutter piece second pic. I know most mopar guys would replace the whole quarter, but Im on a budget.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010 - 10:08:50 AM »
I used AMD for everything except quarters. After comparing about 15 challengers under the same roof, all with either NOS or Goodmark Q-panels, I decided to go with AMD's. I was actually cutting off my Goodmark skins as I hated how they were done a few years back.

I was very happy with the AMD's in hand, but after lengthy trial fittings, discussions and continued comparisons – we had to exchange them for Goodmarks. Although the Goodmarks had all the flaws that bothered me, they were all fixable. The AMD issue was not! Basically, from the body line up it was extremely flat. There was no outward curve to them and the lower kickout seemed to start too early - which makes the body line not seem as aggressive. If the AMD Quarter had this, I'd go with AMD - hands down. What bothers me, is I read every post on multiple sites about AMD and Goodmark comparisons prior to purchasing and no one mentioned this issue. weird.

Anyways, my quarters look really good now. Took a lot of work though and cost me a fortune. Looking back, I should have found some NOS 72-74 and swapped out the light. The body line on NOS ones are sooooo beautiful.

You talking about Challengers or CUdas?  Yes, I hear Goodmark quarters are better for Challengers.  Still not sure about Cudas which ones are better.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Brant

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010 - 09:36:54 PM »
I was talking about Challenger. sorry.

Offline Final Challenge

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011 - 12:53:30 AM »
My bodyman is very happy with the Goodmark full quarterpanels I bought.  So far the fit is as good as factory, and he is spending the time to make the fits better.

The fitment flaws that made me decide to replace the quarters, were still there when the new panels were fitted. That totally surprised me, and I felt that perhaps I did waste my money.

However, a good bodyman knows how to make those flaws go away.  I am happy with the progress.

Offline rb70

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011 - 04:19:03 PM »
I could not figure out how to post pics, bur here is one of the holes I was talking about, see my avatar.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011 - 04:50:00 PM »
I could not figure out how to post pics, bur here is one of the holes I was talking about, see my avatar.

Here's your picture you're referring to:

Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline rb70

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011 - 06:37:06 PM »
Thanks Topcat

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011 - 07:19:52 PM »
How bad is the rest of the Quarter Panel? Replacing the whole thing is a heck of a lot of work to take care of that hole.  :clueless:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0