Author Topic: A better fuel sender lock ring  (Read 1396 times)

Offline femtnmax

A better fuel sender lock ring
« on: November 26, 2010 - 08:17:30 PM »
There is an earlier post on 'rest of tech' where Shadango bought a lock ring off ebay from Mainelymopars (also called Pepsparts).  His post:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=72598.0
He mentioned the lock ring was way thicker than aftermarket.  So I followed his advice and bought a lock ring from mainelymopars.
http://www.pepsparts.com/

Sure enough the lock ring was 0.072 inch thick vs 0.05 thick for the previous replacement I had purchased somewhere a couple years ago.  Peps lock rings was also slightly larger in diameter, and it still fit perfectly with no issues.  I also bought the lock ring tool, but had to lengthen the handle to have enough torque to tighten the lock ring.  If I remember right, I had bent the fuel tank lock ring tabs down in an attempt to eliminated fuel leaks at the fuel sender.
I am pleased with the thicker lock ring, which should help seal the fuel sender to the fuel tank.  I have not filled the fuel tank yet, still putting the car together, but I will post the results.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010 - 07:45:49 PM by femtnmax »
Phil

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: A better fuel sender lock ring
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010 - 11:30:20 PM »
Cool , Good to know thanks for sharing!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010 - 12:00:36 AM »
Same here, I just ordered one with the O ring gasket.  Had forgotten I needed one.  PK
The Brewmaster

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010 - 04:05:26 AM »
I got the thinner one with my sender kit.  I used the old one, the thin one didn't work too well.  It would have leaked for sure with that thing. 

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010 - 09:51:57 AM »
Good info,

Thx!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010 - 11:17:13 AM »
 :cheers:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010 - 01:57:26 PM »
I prepped the lock ring by deburring the edges at the cutouts where the ring slips past the tangs on the fuel tank.  So I rounded the edge that rubs against the rubber O-ring, and added a 45 degree chamfer to the edge that first engages the fuel tank tangs...to help the ring get 'started'.  Both mods helped IMO.

When installing the lock ring, I noticed after initial rotation it was not perfectly centered over the sender unit because of the way I was twisting on the wrench.  So just before the last part of rotation to lock the ring in place I tapped the lock ring sideways to center it.  Then final rotation had it perfectly centered over the sender and it looks good.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010 - 02:20:10 PM by femtnmax »
Phil

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010 - 05:58:15 AM »
Glad that one of my posts finally helped someone Phil.   

I had struggled with the aftermarket one and I know the heartache it can cause...LOL

Truthfully, I wasnt sure about having to pay $20 for a locking ring and gasket....The guy at Mainly Mopars assured me it was the right one so I splurged.

Getting the RIGHT part was worth it.  Amazing how much grief the RIGHT part can prevent. LOL
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010 - 06:01:06 AM by shadango »