Author Topic: AC deletion heater hookup?  (Read 662 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
AC deletion heater hookup?
« on: November 28, 2010 - 03:32:50 AM »
Ok my 318 car has had the AC equipment under the hood removed and the heater hoses have been bypassed and the electrical connection has been disconnected. 

So the cable that attaches to the TEMP sliding lever runs into the engine compartment and is cut off.  Just hanging there loose, not attached to anything if you can picture that..

I searched my service manual and diagrams for a clue on what to do to get the heater working.  ANyone ever run across this before and have any advice or ideas?? 

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: AC deletion heater hookup?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010 - 03:58:55 AM »
The cable attaches to the heater valve that is mounted on the passenger's side inner fender. It sounds like maybe yours might be missing. One, or both heater houses would connect to this valve. I have seen it both ways and I'm not sure what valve is factory correct. Anyway, since the heater hoses have been bypassed, I wonder if this was just for as cleaner looking engine bay, or if the heater core under the dash had leaked?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010 - 04:33:14 AM »
Thanks, that is some good info.  I will do some poking around and see if the valve is still there.

The car was dropped off at the paint shop then the owner passed away.  The car was there 5 years as the brother fought to get the car back.  Some things went missing.  The story from the prior owner is he disconnected the heater as it was always on and blowing very hot.   The thermostat was bad!  So he disconnected everything.  He tells me the heater core was good, but i have an invoice from a mechanic with the paperwork that states it's bad.  I need to pressure test it before I put some heater hoses on the car. 

Thanks again I will start researching that valve. 

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010 - 04:42:04 AM »
I found a thread started by my buddy Glennster about this exact same thing.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=63227.0

It looks like I may need to find that valve to get my heater to work.  Uggg thats going to look ugly under the hood.   

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010 - 04:58:12 AM »
Ok I think I got it figured out.  Test the core to see if it leaks.  Get the heater control valve, mount it on the fender run the heater hoses through it and connect the cable. 

So I am guessing how that works is it shuts off the flow of coolant through the heater core, thus controlling the temp? 

I am trying to clean up the clutter.  Are there any alternatives that don't involve replacing the heater box?