Rat Neighbor Narks on Me!

Author Topic: Rat Neighbor Narks on Me!  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Rat Neighbor Narks on Me!
« on: November 18, 2004 - 12:21:52 PM »
I was out in the driveway doing some blast work on my car over the weekend. A code enforcement truck pulled up and checked things out, but didn't talk with me. I get a letter in the mail today saying that I can't work on vehicles in a residential neighborhood!!!  Around here, code enforcement doesn't come out unless someone calls and complains.  :madvibe:

I have some calls out trying to get an answer about what is and what isn't OK. I would assume I can do whatever in my garage?

I don't live in a swanky neighborhood or anything and I always keep my stuff behind closed doors. Some people just gotta be nosey dorks!  :mad:

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
Re: Rat Neighbor Narks on Me!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004 - 12:30:03 PM »
Really sucks doesn't it?  Just when you thought you owned your house.  :banghead:

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004 - 12:51:10 PM »
Yeah that sounds about right.

Land of the free huh  :patriot:

I'm very fortunate as that I have great neighbors that I wouldn't trade for the world, but I've had some that sucked and I feel even worse for my mom and her terrible neighbors. Makes me want to move to the sticks at times.

I know there are rules in place to keep people from putting a rusty pinto on blocks out in the front yard but how is this story even fair?

Makes me want to sniff propane  :tongue:
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004 - 01:09:59 PM »
Well that stinks!  I hate busy body neighbors!  We had a jerk next door once who told us he was going to take us to court because our fence was too close to his property line.  Soooo stupid!  We checked out the code and he had no case at all, but what a way to make a first impression...he had just bought the house.  Well if you don't like it...DON'T BUY THE HOUSE!  Anyway, sorry for ranting, but I feel your pain!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004 - 01:49:01 PM »
My neighborhood is backwards too.  I have lived there all my life and it is kind of in the middle of an industrial area.  Anyway we have no noise ordinances at all, unless you get a bunch of people to complain at the same time.  However you aren't suppose to store inoperative vehicles on your property and various other things I am sure I am in violation of.  I try to work as much as possible with the garage closed, but when I don't, people walking through the alley stop and talk all the time.  (One reason I don't get as much done as I like.  ;)) Never had any complaints from anyone.  The police are the ones I worry about sometimes.  We have too many for the area and I know they get bored.

Hopefully I will find some land soon and move to the outskirts of the city, where I can get a little more freedom.  But it is amazing how little you get even doing that.  I have heard that some counties to reconnaissance to monitor building and what people are up to.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004 - 02:16:25 PM »
Get this guys: I got a hold of someone at the code enforcement office. Turn out that in my area, you are only allowed to do MINOR vehicle repair in residential neighborhoods- even in your own garage!  :madvibe:

I get the whole deal about not wanting junk cars and stuff like that...but this is just nuts!

The official did say that what I do with my door CLOSED is something they don't know about! the complaint was anonymous, of course.  I'd like to be able to talk to the rat to find out what's cool by them. Do they have a problem with me doing work in general....is it that they don't want to see the work from the road? What's the deal? The complaint was made October 18th, which is a Monday, which means whoever called in after seeing me do something that weekend. I don't know what I was doing...can't remember. I guess I'll just have to keep the door down.

I have a bit of body work to go on the car. I need to finish welding in my metal. I can handle taking it somewhere to get the rest of the car done.

What a bite in the rear.   :banghead:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004 - 02:19:48 PM »
When we were having our garage built, we had to go to the zoning commission because we wanted to build onto the part of the land that is within 10 feet of our "nice" neighbors property line.  There's plenty of room and had talked with our neighbors...everything honky-dory.  One day we get a knock on the door and here's this lady with a clipboard wanting to ask questions.  She's asking, what exactly do you plan on doing in that garage your going to build?...Are you planning on opening a home business?....etc.  You know who she was?  Just a plain old citizen who checks on the zoning issues each week and goes and asks questions to make sure "her" neighborhood stays like it is.  She attends the meetings every week.  Apparently, there are a lot of people who do this.  These people need to get a life!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004 - 02:21:22 PM »
The way I see it, "minor work" is relative. :boxer:  ;D

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004 - 02:40:58 PM »
 :iagree:

1 engine swap could be considered minor in comparison to the dozens I've done in a life time!

It's probably the same A-hole ( and EVERY neighborhood has one ) that lets his/her dog bark at 7:00 am on Saturday morning.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline rnsykes

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004 - 02:51:11 PM »
I won't get started on this, but I'm sure they wouldn't be complaining if you were re-siding or painting your house.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004 - 03:33:40 PM »
Funny you say that, rsykes. We're having a pool put in right now. Of course, they'd probably bit*h about that, too, if they had the chance.

I had a few drinks and I've calmed down a bit. I guess I'm just giong to go "underground". I'll have to do my work behind closed doors. But, you can bet I'm going to try to find out who called in.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004 - 03:58:37 PM »
 :madvibe:
Isn't it nice that instead of coming up to you and talking with you and maybe making some kind of compromise, they just go right to the city. Typical spineless weasles! I have pretty good neighbors here, I work on my cars without any problems. I do all of the work in my barn though, hardly anything outside. Have even painted cars without problems. Of course, this can change  if someone moves out.
I could care less what my neighbors do on thier property, leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. People today just want to stick thier nose into everybody else's business. What they need is a little of this:  :spank:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Moparmatt

• Resident
  • Mopar or No Car - Member Since 10/09/03
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004 - 04:13:22 PM »
Well, my "neighborhood police" that might not let me keep a car outside, etc., isn't a nosey neighbor. It's my mom. ::)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004 - 05:23:22 PM »
Yeah Steve,
  This stinks. :gripe: When I was a kid, there was this nice guy in the neighborhood that had a garage built behind his house. He would work on other people's cars. Just body work. I loved watching him. He knew what he was doing ;) Anyway, someone turned him in for operating a business out of his garage :gripe: That was the end of that. I felt terrible for him. He helped me and wouldn't take any money for it. This was truely a great guy getting $crewd.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004 - 05:45:13 PM »
I can understand running a business working on other peoples cars but just working on you own car,man that $ucks!I`ve been real lucky with my neighbors being cool with me working on cars all the time but I still do try and keep the doors closed to help keep things qiueter.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi