Author Topic: Most Popular/Valuable Challenger color?  (Read 16314 times)

Offline dalevt

Most Popular/Valuable Challenger color?
« on: December 14, 2010 - 04:14:09 PM »
I am building a 73 Challenger strictly to sell; what color will sell the easiest and bring the most money?

FYI: the car has a shaker hood and go wing.  It wont be a show car; just a driver.  It will probably have some R/T stripes from 70 or 71.

My plans were to paint it Panther Pink, when I was going to keep it, but since I have the intent to sell it, I don't think that's a good move.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Most Popular/Valuable Challenger color?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010 - 04:30:59 PM »
Is this the car you want to put the 70 grill in?   I don't think that would be a good move if you are building it to sell.

Red seems to be a good resale color but...a lot of Mopar guys will walk away from a car that isn't painted it's origonal color.  That may not be true with a 73 though.  What color was the car origonally? 

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010 - 05:12:07 PM »
vinyl top?

In addition to b5 blue and black, My favorite colors are high impact:
hemorange/go mango
sassygrass/green go
limelight/sublime

and a lot of people like the purple, but not me.
Dont think you can go wrong with any of these though.

If you want to go another route, the viper blue and snakeskin green are beautiful too, and will appeal more to the younger guys I think
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010 - 07:33:56 AM by tommyg29 »
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010 - 06:44:20 PM »
I would go with Rallye Red.  It appeals to Mopar and non Mopar people.  Red appeals to most that are looking for a hot rod. It is also a color that was available on your car.  I watch a lot of auctions.  A purple car will sell higher than, for instance, a yellow car.  This is when the purple was available on the car.  You could not get purple in 73, so go with the Rallye (resale) Red.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010 - 06:47:58 PM »
Its just my opinion but nothing looks better than a black ebody!   :drool:

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010 - 08:30:32 PM »
Hmmmm, resale red.....   :eek4:  :puke:
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010 - 11:01:58 PM »
Hmmmm, resale red.....   :eek4:  :puke:
I agree with 4Cruizn black is my favorite also.  My Cuda is factory black with a red stripe and my SE is also a factory triple black car.  The question was which color will help it sell the most. Red is a proven seller.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010 - 11:18:56 PM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010 - 11:45:27 PM »
 :iagree:  Black is very cool with red strobe stripes.  I think the black helps to "hide" the front grill some and make the cars snout appear smaller.

What was the original color?  Stock will usually bring more $$$ but it all depends on how stock the car is.  As far as "stockness", color of the exterior and engine/tranny originality come to mind first.  If the car is missing the fender tag/buildsheet, I say make it pleasing to the eye.

Look on the internet and see what catches you eyes.  A nice set of 15" rims with wider tires out back with a little bit of a mean stance will help it sell, IMO.

This is one of my favoite '72-'74 Challenger pics.  :2cents:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010 - 12:00:34 AM »
Hands down it would be B5 Blue with a black vt and either a black or blue interior (possibly even white).  Just be careful how much $ you invest in the 72 to 74 model years as they don't command big $ for resale and you could find yourself operating in the red (so maybe that is the color it should be)!

ps: this use to be my girl!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010 - 10:36:38 PM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010 - 08:05:13 AM »
I agree that the Black or Blue look great on these cars and would sell.

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010 - 08:32:11 AM »
like the black and red, Alpine white, gunmetal....and of course K5 Burnt Orange  :stirpot:

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010 - 10:49:31 AM »
My favorite color is also black but, you have to have a perfectly straight body in order to go black.

I don't know the OP and I'm not saying that he can't get the body straight enough to go black but....most people who are building a car just to sell, don't want to put the extra time/money into making a car that straight.  I just don't think black would be a good choise in the case.  I'm not a fan of red but it seems to appeal to a wide range of people.  B5 is also a great color.

My only suggestion is that whatever color is chosen, make sure you take the extra time to remove the wiring, body plugs, latches and strikers.  Nothing looks more sloppy than seeing a freshly painted car with painted latches/strikers and body plugs.  You'll have a nicer finished product and will get more money from the sale if you remove those items before you paint. :2cents:

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010 - 11:08:37 AM »
Some guys don't like the 72 and up Chally grille, black compliments it beautifully. As far as any other color....oroginal if it is a stock resto and any color you want if it is not. Plum crazy, mango or hemi orange, b5 blue are all nice

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010 - 03:49:37 PM »
Resale red....... :smilielol: best comment I've seen in a long time. :2thumbs:

Per
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010 - 05:27:56 PM »
My  :2cents:

Sell the shaker and get a bulge hood, go-wings are good.

Use 71 RT stripes or The Rally Stripes offered with Challenger Rallys

Paint, here are five fail proof colors combos for you car

L5 (Butterscotch) black stripes, black or tan int (Im bais as this is my cuda combo)

C8 (Mood Indiglo, better than Plum Crazy IMO) white RT stripes and no hood black out treatment, white or black int

V2 (Hemi Orange) with black stripes and black int

A4 (Gunmetal Gray) with black stripes and black int

X9 (Black) with black or red or white stripes or yellow bumble bee stripes, black, red, white int depending on the color of the stripes you go with.

My vote is on the 71 RT stripes because they look the best.

Good luck on whatever you decide. 

Don

The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002