Author Topic: What do you guys use to seal around freeze plugs?  (Read 7668 times)

Offline priderocks

What do you guys use to seal around freeze plugs?
« on: December 16, 2010 - 10:35:10 PM »
Do you need to seal around freeze plugs with anything special?

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: What do you guys use to seal around freeze plugs?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010 - 11:01:25 PM »
Permatex aviation sealer works great.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010 - 09:39:33 PM »
 :iagree:
I also use Permatex High Tack Gasket sealant, has the brush built into the cap, the goo is dark red in color.  I brush the permatex onto block, then install the freeze plug.
An important installation tip, assuming you don't have the factory service tool, then fit a socket to contact the OD of the freeze plug, NOT fit inside.  If fit the socket to inside, when installing the plug can slightly shrink the diameter and ON OCCASION will cause a leak.   Some people may disagree with me, but I have seen them leak.  THe factory service tools apply pressure against the OD of the plug. 
When your turning wrenches for a living, and paid commission only...a leak just cost you the profit of the entire job. 
Phil

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010 - 09:58:57 PM »
 :iagree:
Also have used the brown thick permatex (2A?) stuff with success. All the freeze plug tools I have drive on the outside edge of the plug - keeps you from installing them too deep as well. This is more critical if you choose to install brass plugs since they deform more easily
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010 - 10:16:14 PM »
Permatex sealer works well but when driving plugs the method varies with the type of plug being used.  A cup style is driven around the edges but the domed disk type will not seal if driven around the edges.  They must be at least "seated" from the middle to fully expand them to the opening. PK
The Brewmaster

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010 - 09:53:00 PM »
If your doing them on the engine stand and don't have the proper tool or socket , a piece of hard wood will work too...

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010 - 10:54:33 PM »
permatex 2b . you can buy it at autozone , oreillys, napa . use it on tranny seals around the out side / crank seals ect.
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30