Author Topic: 74 Challenger Project  (Read 43442 times)

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
Re: 74 Challenger Project
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011 - 07:09:12 AM »
verry cool

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011 - 10:13:31 PM »
Well today started up great... for about 10 minutes. I had the wife drop me off at the shop since she wanted to drive into town to a birthday party for the kid and well 15 minutes down the road the drive belt on the 99 grand voyageur decides it doesnt want to be apart of the car anymore. The belt didnt break, it just managed to work its way off... go figure, I need to check that tensioner. Its a new belt as of last fall. After I got the van back to the shop I had to fight with the damned thing for 3 hours. First was to get it out of the van, there was a ton of snow trapping it behind the lowest pulley near the firewall. After all said and done it was too much work for what it was worth. I even had to make my own tensioner tool since there was no room to put a socket in there...

Belt...

Tensioner tool...

Sorry no update for the challenger today it remained untouched.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011 - 10:16:04 PM by pywell »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011 - 10:37:25 PM »
Well today started up great... for about 10 minutes. I had the wife drop me off at the shop since she wanted to drive into town to a birthday party for the kid and well 15 minutes down the road the drive belt on the 99 grand voyageur decides it doesnt want to be apart of the car anymore. The belt didnt break, it just managed to work its way off... go figure, I need to check that tensioner. Its a new belt as of last fall. After I got the van back to the shop I had to fight with the damned thing for 3 hours. First was to get it out of the van, there was a ton of snow trapping it behind the lowest pulley near the firewall. After all said and done it was too much work for what it was worth. I even had to make my own tensioner tool since there was no room to put a socket in there...

Had that happen several times over the years...once the tensioner was replaced but soon occured again. ended up needing a balancer I believe.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2011 - 11:48:59 PM »
Well, I did not get as much done as I wanted, but I always set heavy goals for myself to accomplish anyways. The driver and passenger floor pans are now screwed into place. I started welding the driver side into place today aswell. The car is starting to look like a car again! Im going to have to share pics with you all tomorrow morning as im already in bed typing this up on my galaxy s, love my phone! The passenger floor went in with relatively minor modification but the driver side was making me curse at it a little bit. But its all in now and looks great. Need to pickup another couple hundred teck screws to finish sucking everything nice and tight before I finish welding it. After this is done its only the back end left. I feel that the sheet metal replacent will be done in 2 weeks. It sucks only being able to work on it only 4 days a month.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2011 - 10:25:14 AM »
Here are a couple of pics of the floor now in place. I started to weld it in but time crept up on me and I will have to finish it on sunday.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011 - 08:01:36 PM »
Today was a good day for getting things done on the car for a change. I got the front brackets on, the passenger side inner and outter wheel tubs and the trunk floor to quarter drop in, I also got a bunch of fine tuning completed on the panels. The driver and passenger side quarter panels are on aswell. Now before we go wow, they are all just fit in place with teck screws. There was a lot of fitting to make sure that everything fit up right straight accross the car before any welded could be done. I forgot to mention I got the gas tank support brackets fit up to the trunk floor too.

I still have to get the passenger side rear frame rail on, lower frame brackets, rear crossrail and end brackets, sub frame connectors rear cross member. So there is a lot left too to BUT hey take a look at the pics, sure looking great!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011 - 08:23:28 PM by pywell »

Offline usraptr

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2011 - 08:09:20 PM »
Looks great!!   :2thumbs:  We're just about at the same point on our restorations!   :ylsuper:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011 - 09:32:37 PM »
looks great
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011 - 09:04:06 AM »
 Great work!!!
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2011 - 03:33:32 PM »
Nice work!   :2thumbs:  Will there be any original  sheet metal on that car?  Thank goodness for reproduction sheetmetal.

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2011 - 08:10:01 PM »
Nice work!   :2thumbs:  Will there be any original  sheet metal on that car?  Thank goodness for reproduction sheetmetal.
on a e-body !! hahahahahahahaha  :smilielol:
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2011 - 08:28:15 PM »
Ya the original stuff is quite a bit rotten, saved what I could.

Today I got a little done, I stich welded the passenger floor down, about 45% done welding in the floor. I had plans to get a lot of welding done today but I got a nice little surprise.

3 surprises to be exact, a 1953 Ford F100, 1965 Olds 442 Coupe and a 1966 Pontiac GTO. I didnt take any pics of my work on the challenger today I will tomorrow. But I did take some pics of the cars and truck I will be doing aswell. The last truck not pictured which is suppose to be coming end of summer is a 1955 Chev pickup like the ford.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2011 - 10:14:01 PM »
"Got to give u guys a salute   :ylsuper: on restoring those e-bodies."   :cheers:

"Don't Crush UM Restore UM"

////////////  CUDA AAR
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2011 - 02:41:09 PM »
your car is coming together nicely     i have to do alot of the same metal work to my cuda one day. the firewall that it needs scares me!! not to mention the floor pan, trunk floor, drop offs, quarters, tail panel and the list goes on...................
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2011 - 10:41:09 PM »
your car is coming together nicely     i have to do alot of the same metal work to my cuda one day. the firewall that it needs scares me!! not to mention the floor pan, trunk floor, drop offs, quarters, tail panel and the list goes on...................

lol this is where any reasonable bodyman would pipe in and say you know Im very reasonably priced and you can see the work I do ;) Just a wee bit of a drive though I am sure.