74 Challenger Project

Author Topic: 74 Challenger Project  (Read 43436 times)

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
74 Challenger Project
« on: December 18, 2010 - 03:35:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I took on a project this last month and its turned into well one heck of a job. I’m going to be keeping everyone up to date with the project, this is not a couple year job, we plan to get this beast back on the road within a year. Since I am already a ways into the project I am going to be writing a bit of a novel here to fill you all in, my spelling maybe a little bit off at times so please forgive me :screwy:. I have pictures to go along with it aswell.

My cousin bought what looked like a solid looking Challenger with a hopped up 360 under the hood. He had it for a couple months and decided to give it a complete overhaul. His Neighbor Rob (a great guy and mopar enthusiest) has a 70 duster that he had done years ago. This car gave my cousin the inspiration of what he wants his challenger to be like. (I will try and get pics of the duster later, its a show winning car and really would be a piece to feature in a mag)

Im a certified bodyman so my cousin asked me to take on the job. Just having finished doing a 74 AMX Javelin he knows up im for the task.

When I goto the car Guy (cousin) had already removed the interior, fenders, drivetrain and the car was sitting on the jack stands. Great! I was ready to tear into it. I began with the areas that had tell tail signs of trouble. Bubbling or cracking and holy chit, it was a MESS! Someone had the car done already and it was HACKED! First I went after the right rear quater panel. That panel was riveted and glued, glued with  PLASTIC glue! Not structure glue so I pretty much just had to grind a couple very very bad welds and then slid a putty knife between the panel and the newish patch panel pulled it away enough to get my hands on. I just had to pull on it and the hole quarter panel came off!

That was pretty scary, so I figured it was time to get after the rest of the areas that showed trouble, there was bubbling on the passenger fender at the front. I grabbed my stripping wheel and went at it. I immediately found body filler right below the paint so I kept sanding away. It went down and down and after over an inch I finally found metal… THE INNER they had cut a hole where there must have been damage or rust and just filled the whole thing up with filler!! WTF! Well needless to say we just ordered a whole new fender.

So at this point we have a quarter panel replacement, and fender replacement needed. I figured I might as well see how bad the left rear quarter panel was. Well… it was a LITTLE bit better they actually welded a bit more on instead of using glue but it is STILL done so bad I have to replace that quarter panel as well.

Overall the car is in poor shape, the cowl on the driver side is rotted right through, the firewall just below the rotted cowl is mostly gone as well. The left inner fender is completely rotted where the battery tray USED to be. The trunk floor pan was patched underneath with regular sheet metal and proper patches were tacked onto the top, (shakes my head). The inner trunk floor pan to quarter panel inners are destroyed, patched with square sheet metal with sharp edges sticking out because they didn’t even bother to trim the metal to fit. The rear bumper mount cross rail is 25% missing from rot also and the right rear frame rail has holes in it from rust too.

I have ordered all the nessasary parts; some we are still waiting on. I have new quarter panel patch panels, complete trunk floor pan, new complete 70” left rear frame rail, new right fender, new left inner fender and battery tray, new lower driver side door skin patch. Waiting on the inner quarter to floor pan inserts, the firewall, cowl and a firewall to fender bracket.
I have to finish removing all the small things on the car and remove the driver side fender before it goes out for media blasting. Which the challenger has an appointment to have the media blasting done just after Christmas.

We are trying to locate Robs old Rotisary that he used on the Duster but if we can’t get it we are going to have to build our own.
My cousin want the underside of the car to be painted the same color as the body except the frame rails and mechanicals to be black. All clear coated and flawless. So the rotisary is a nessasary item to get this project done.
The one thing I need to convince my cousin of is to have the vinyl roof removed to see what is underneath, the rest of the car was so poorly fixed that I hate to see all this work done just to have something major happen to the roof.

That pretty much sums up the project to this point. I found this site and am very happy to see so many other projects and knowledegable people here. I hope everyone will check back often and please if you see anything or know of trouble areas etc… let me know, also if you have any questions to what I am doing or have questions about your own projects and you are not sure what I did etc… ask away! I am exited to be sharing this with everyone. I update my facebook page with content every time I come back from working on the car so if you want to see the latest news check it out.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/PPC-Customs/311024106505
Pictures viewable at http://www.ppccustoms.ca/images2/main.php/v/port/74challenger/ or at my facebook page.
Justin Pywell
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011 - 10:19:28 PM by pywell »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: 74 Challenger Project
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010 - 04:48:04 PM »

The one thing I need to convince my cousin of is to have the vinyl roof removed to see what is underneath, the rest of the car was so poorly fixed that I hate to see all this work done just to have something major happen to the roof.

Quite an undertaking to skimp on a hundred dollar piece of vinyl.... Tear it of with or w/o cuz's blessing.......  Will be interesting to watch. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010 - 11:48:09 PM »
This evenings update. We took off the vinyl roof, stripped the roof, glad we did. It has a couple trouble spot starting to show which I can take care of before anything major happens. The roof also wasnt clear coated, talk about asking for trouble down the road. After that was done I started on the driver side patch panel removal. This side they actually tried to weld it on better. The top part of the skin was still attached with plastic bumper repair (Fusor 142 for those that may know of it). I did not get it all off tonight like I had hoped my cousin came back from a month and a half long shift up north so it was a mad house with visitors checking out the car and visiting. We also managed to remove the upper control arm pins to get the control arms right out of there. Thats about it for this evening. Tommorow is cleaning and organizing the parts that were removed before I got their and that will end the weekend. Monday I am going to pull out the plasma cutter and get after the trunk floor pan after the quarters are finished being pulled off.`

Im going to try and get some pictures up here tommorow since hopefully it will be a slow day. I have to resize them all so they will be allowed to attach to the threads.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 - 12:04:53 AM by pywell »

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010 - 12:13:17 AM »
Quite an undertaking to skimp on a hundred dollar piece of vinyl.... Tear it of with or w/o cuz's blessing.......  Will be interesting to watch.

Im pretty exited about it, its going to be eye candy when done. I talked with him this evening and ripped the thing right off before he could change his mind lol, actually when we talked about it he agreed right off the top. And I found out he has a 2nd challenger being shipped out of Montreal in the next 4 weeks. Im going to bleed challenger here pretty quick.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010 - 09:36:14 AM »

Im going to try and get some pictures up here tommorow since hopefully it will be a slow day. I have to resize them all so they will be allowed to attach to the threads.

You don't need to re-size or upload here, just use the "Insert Image" tool & paste a link to your gallery shots, a lot more efficient.

Here is the "IMAGE LOCATION" to one of your pics http://www.ppccustoms.ca/images2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6113&g2_serialNumber=5
  copied & inserted in the "Insert Image" tool.

Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010 - 10:57:53 AM »
You don't need to re-size or upload here, just use the "Insert Image" tool & paste a link to your gallery shots, a lot more efficient.

Thanks, ya after I posted that comment I started playing with the ubb code to see if it still supported hyperlinked images for the thumbnails off my gallery. That way I could use the thumbnails which the gallery resized automatically and keep this page from being 3 miles long and load times fast.  :thumbsup:

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010 - 12:13:30 PM »
Looks like a great project, and one that's right up your alley.  Bringing another one away from the crusher:)
Phil

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010 - 02:13:05 PM »
Looks like a great project, and one that's right up your alley.  Bringing another one away from the crusher:)

I would like to try and find a 71 cuda to do this too. But it will be probably cheaper and easier to find a 66 - 67 Shelby GT350 (not that anyone wants to hear that here ;))

Some new pics from yesterday before I go in and do a little more work this afternoon.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 - 02:23:35 PM by pywell »

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010 - 07:56:24 PM »
Ok, today wasnt too bad. We took apart the rear end and got all the mechanicals ready to go in for blasting. I removed the driver side quarter panel, what a mess that was. And removed some more of the misc. things still hiding around the car. It was a nice easy day today. Tomorrow I dont think you will see much of an update I need to grab some more materials and pickup the plasma cutter so I can cut out that trunk pan. So if I have the energy I am going to have some updates late tomorrow, and if there isnt any updates well I got warn out running around.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 - 08:56:42 PM by pywell »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010 - 10:10:30 PM »
Looks pretty solid inside

Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010 - 12:02:48 AM »
Looks pretty solid inside

I wish that was true. The floor in the trunk is made up of patch panels and looks like partially some of the old quarter panels that were on the car originally. The wells are new replacements so they are ok, the trunk pan to quarter insert on the driver side is good but the passenger side is just a mess. There is rust starting to rot through the rear light pan. I already bought the 70" left frame rail and looks like I should have ordered the right one aswell... ugh. I now have to weld up some support brackets to keep the car rigid when I rip 1/2 of it off lol.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010 - 10:15:19 PM »
Nearing the end of what I can do before the car has to goto the blasting shop. I removed the floor pan to quarter panel inserts with the plasma cutter today. I got my hands on the plasma cutter to make my life easier and wow does it ever. I also removed the driver side inner fender and took a chunk out of the cowl to see how bad it is underneath.

I welded up all the holes in the quarter panel that were left behind from the old patch skins where they had used rivets to hold it in place with the plastic repair glue. On the passenger side there was a crack starting to form about 4" long from the corner of the 1/4 window straight down the 1/4 skin. So I cut the crack and welded it all back up nice.

Hard to believe I summed up 6hrs work in 2 paragraphs but hey now its time for a couple pics.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010 - 08:13:49 PM »
Had a nice couple days off, I hope everyone else is having good holidays!

Everything is now out of the car, grommets, etc... I found a hole in the roof from a repair that wasnt repaired. (the hole was from the bodyman not rust or anything else). So that is all fixed up, K-member is removed and all the bump stops etc.. off the bottom of the car.

We started to scrape off all the undercoating which there wasnt much up really but we did come across an 8 inch crack right down the inside of the front driver side frame rail. I also found a nice rotten section on the rad support. So I have a few more peices to add to my order of parts here come tuesday.

We are also ordering US Car tool Subframe connectors for the car on tues.

Found a couple nasty spots in the front floor boards but its just from peices that were not removed when the floor boards were replaced. We also spent a little time removing the nasty gobs of expanding seam sealer they used on the car floor boards inside.

I was also wondering if anyone knows a good factory sticker company? I need to replace all the factory information stickers throughout the car including ones with all the vehicle specific info which I believe I have to call Chrysler to get them to reprint the ones with the VIN on it, at least I know Ford will do that. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010 - 08:16:17 PM by pywell »

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010 - 09:23:03 PM »
I am going to love this project.  :clapping:  keep it coming, and good luck with the project     :2thumbs:

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010 - 10:23:25 PM »
Today was just a dirty day, and a little disapointing really. We spent the better part of the day on our back with a propane torch and putty knifes scraping away the nasty undercoating. I think we scraped off a good 30 lbs. off the bottom of the challenger. And the disapointing part. I had completely got all the welds cleaned up and looking great finally around the wheel tubs. (Previous repare left gobby mess). When we got to cleaning the tubs near the floor pan/rocker panel area... well lets say I found a ton of glue (Fusor 142 and HOT GLUE GUN GLUE!! WTF!) So I pulled it all out to find nasty rotten holes through the tub to the inside of the rocker and car. Well I pulled out the plasma cutter and cut out the outer wheel housing and all the rotten area of the inner. I have to leave the inner on for now because we need to transport the car to get sand blasted tommorow. I will finish sandblasting the missed areas after I pull the inner off when the car gets back. We had to do this to both sides.

So tommorow we load it on the trailer and clean the shop. I will then work on the hood and patching the lower drivers door while its gone. I have put the new pics on Facebook but havent put them up in my gallery yet so I will try and show the rest of the changes a little later.