Author Topic: 74 Challenger Project  (Read 43441 times)

Offline Final Challenge

Re: 74 Challenger Project
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011 - 11:48:01 AM »
I gave a lot of thought about the firewall/cowl/ inner fender work you are doing on my own project.

Looks like everything fits well.

You must have a small fortune into this project, but she will be solid when you are done.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011 - 12:26:44 PM »
I gave a lot of thought about the firewall/cowl/ inner fender work you are doing on my own project.

Looks like everything fits well.

You must have a small fortune into this project, but she will be solid when you are done.

Small fortune.. ya I think we are sitting pretty at about 13,000$USD (not including purchase of car). I expect about another 6 - 7k to go, plus the motor is looking to sit around 10,000$ but we are trying to find something for 7500 (motor wise) not including the EFI conversion.

Fits well... yep, after I found a small sledge hammer I convinced it to work with me instead of against me lol.<<<<<  just an after thought I didnt beat the panel to a dented pulp, I have years of experience so dont take my words dead to heart and destroy your new parts (for those reading this and decide to give it a try too :D)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011 - 12:29:31 PM by pywell »

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011 - 12:49:48 PM »
 :iagree: Nice looking work! I find if you talk nice to it, things start fitting better.  :lol:  :cheers:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline usraptr

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011 - 12:54:29 PM »
Wow!  Just found this thread and read all three pages.  What an undertaking.  Your cousin should be really happy he has somebody like you to undertake this project and do it right.  It's amazing what can be covered up with a coat of paint.  I really admire your work and look forward to seeing more updates and pictures!  :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011 - 08:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the props always appreciated.

I got the passenger side inner fender on and the apron to cowl bracket all welded up. Shock tower gusset is on there too. I test fitted up the fender and everything looks like it wants to line up nicely.

Pretty much at this point I have some pretty nasty work ahead of me. I need to remove the front floor boards and replace those I have to finish removing all the excess metal in the rear end of the car that was left over from cutting everything out with the plasma cutter. And then I still have 2 more frame rails to cut out and replace too.

Quote from: Challenger iii
talking nice too it
I find the same thing ;) but cursing at it makes me feel better too.

Wow!  Just found this thread and read all three pages.  What an undertaking.  Your cousin should be really happy he has somebody like you to undertake this project and do it right.  It's amazing what can be covered up with a coat of paint.  I really admire your work and look forward to seeing more updates and pictures!  :2thumbs:

Every 2 weeks I update what I can, the rear of the car is going to see some changes at the end of Feb. Which was the original completion target... ugh.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011 - 10:00:08 PM »
Well I didnt get as much as I would have liked done this time around, I only got the one days worth of work in. I cleaned up the welds and etch primed the bare metal around the firewall. Then I began the ugly work of removing the excess metal from the trunk area and inner tubs etc... I managed to get the inner wheel tub in and the 1 peice trunk floor all setup. The outer wheel tub is current fitted and the 1/4 to trunk floor drop is in and same with the driver panel. They are all fitted and held in place with tek screws. I have a lot of removal of the excess metal in the passenger wheel tub area so I have not welded this in. When I get back I will have the passenger side 100% fitted and I can begin the process of welding everything into place. I am very impressed with the fitment of the parts, they are not 100% but really anyone who takes the time to work it and make it right they fit great

Time for some pictures: 23 pics were uploaded today, click here to see them all.

This last pic shows how nice they actually sandwich together.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011 - 12:09:25 AM by pywell »

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011 - 12:01:39 PM »
Got the call in this morning, it looks like the rad support made it in from roseville moparts. So this morning I am off to the post office to pick it up and then head over to air lquide to pickup the new Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter. This turn around I plan to finish fitting the rear end (passenger side tubs, floor drop, quarter panel and fuel tank supports) and then weld them all in and if that goes smoothly I will have the driver side rear frame rail welded in and the passenger side frame rail removed. Pics to come over the next couple of days.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011 - 09:55:22 PM »
The day started out with removing some excess metal around the passenger side rear wheel tubs getting that ready. Then I finished removing the driver side rear frame rail, got the new one setup and started to weld it, that was a real bugger since it wasnt 100% the same angles as the original and well the frame rail is not bendable or forgiving in anyway since it is strong steel. I then removed most of the passenger side frame rail and also the driver side front frame rail is now gone too. I also cut out 95% of the driver side front floor pan. The pictures should hopefully show everything.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011 - 07:05:26 PM »
Another day down. This time I got the driver side front frame rail in, inner fender, shock tower etc... etc... pretty much just focused on the front end today, over all it went really well.

Im gone again until the 24th or so, so my goal for then will be to have the front end 100% done and put together (the rad support never made it this weekend so I couldnt finish it all up) and the rear end all put together except for the quarter skins. The only thing remaining I hope after the end of march will be the quarter skins and the front floor boards. Mid April is going to be dents and dings and priming and getting the car on the rotisserie.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011 - 07:10:55 PM by pywell »

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011 - 07:29:18 PM »
Looking good!! coming along nicely!
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011 - 08:20:42 PM »
Coming along nice.  :thumbsup:

Be careful when grinding on the welds. A few times I ended up in the eye clinic.  :o
Somehow no matter how careful; its like your eyes are metal magnets.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011 - 11:37:26 PM »
Very nice progress with the project thus far!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011 - 12:39:43 AM »
Be careful when grinding on the welds. A few times I ended up in the eye clinic.  Somehow no matter how careful; its like your eyes are metal magnets.

Me too Mike,  Twice now I had to go to the eye doctor and have a metal splinter dug out of my eye.  I was wearing safety glasses both times too. The first time, I thought I just scratched it and waited a couple of days. It was in the lower half of my cornea and was starting to rust. That eye also became light sensitive where headlights and daylight started to hurt. Now I go as soon as I can get in to see him.

I'm glad most of my grinding is over with.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011 - 04:45:43 AM »
Me too Mike,  Twice now I had to go to the eye doctor and have a metal splinter dug out of my eye.  I was wearing safety glasses both times too. The first time, I thought I just scratched it and waited a couple of days. It was in the lower half of my cornea and was starting to rust. That eye also became light sensitive where headlights and daylight started to hurt. Now I go as soon as I can get in to see him.

I'm glad most of my grinding is over with.

At work when grinding we must wear safety glasses under our face sheilds. I haven't had a problem yet with anything in my eyes that way. It takes getting used to but I dont do it without anymore. Same with ear plugs.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011 - 04:48:16 AM by pywell »

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011 - 09:48:54 PM »
Ok, today was a long day, lots of grinding, welding, cutting, measuring. The front end of the car is now 98% done, just the lower firewall to inner fender brackets that remain. The driver side inner fender is welded in now, the rad support is now all in too, frame rail etc... all done. I also cut out the passenger side floor and cleaned up a lot of the crossmember and seat supports. Now for the pictures. The rad support upper came pre-welded, which led to me having to drill out the welds since they were not anywhere close to where they were suppose to be, but its done! And it now fits right too. AMD needs to adjust there jig. The floor pans are just sitting in there so I can get an idea for ftiment and cutting etc... to splice them into place. Im honestly thinking that if I were to do it again, I would be using the 1 peice front pan, not these.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011 - 09:57:50 PM by pywell »