74 Challenger Project

Author Topic: 74 Challenger Project  (Read 43458 times)

Offline Mentally Challenged

Re: 74 Challenger Project
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2011 - 02:37:49 AM »
Coming along nicely
Chris, Ohio

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2011 - 11:49:00 AM »
Coming along nicely

Thanks, so close to getting the edge painting done I can almost taste it. I so want this car to be off the rotisserie and back down on its own wheels!

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2011 - 03:30:20 PM »
nice progress.  from the pics, it looks like you`ve got a bit of body-line issue between door and quarterpanel...?  :clueless:
*** Bart ***

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2011 - 03:50:12 PM »
 :-[
nice progress.  from the pics, it looks like you`ve got a bit of body-line issue between door and quarterpanel...?  :clueless:

Yes the quarter skin stamp is off. I have to do some work to it to bring it up. Driver side is good. Ill upload pics of that side tonight.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2011 - 03:52:20 PM »
Its off by just over an 1/8th of an inch. Good spotting :-)

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2011 - 09:07:17 PM »
Just a quick update. I have been away for a bit so not much happend until today. Today I welded on the rear crossrail and rail extensions. Then I cleaned up the front end (engine bay) and started prepping all the surfaces. Tomorrow there will be some finishing glaze put down and then some primer and with any luck on holiday monday I will have the front end in a nice shiny Atomic Orange. I have been taking pics and will get them up in a little bit.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2011 - 09:36:41 PM »
Ok, quick update. Have some pictures being uploaded and you should see them a little later tonight.

Engine bay is now in primer and guide coat.
Hood Top has been repaired and in primer / guide coat.
Trunk Top has been repaired and in primer / guide coat.
Front interior floor is in primer.
Roof is in primer all the way to the rear 1/4 joiner (still working on the 1/4's)
Driver Side door outside is now in primer and guide coat.

1/4 panels are still being worked on, body filler etc...
Need to weld in a passenger side e-brake bracket to the frame rail and weld in a bolt for the driver side rear seatbelt.
Minor welding required in a few more spots.

Engine bay is going to be seam sealed and ready for paint tomorrow. Underside of hood and trunk will be painted tomorrow aswell. Once that is done the car is going back onto the rottisserie to prime and paint the underside of the car.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2011 - 10:57:51 PM »
A little late, but here are the pics.

I also managed to get that pesky screw out of the driver side door track so I finally could get the window out of the door today. I basically stripped the driver side fender down to bare metal to see what nasty stuff was hidden under there. Besides a good amount of dents and 50 lbs of bondo, there wasnt anything there that could not be fixed with a dolly and hammer.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2011 - 07:30:25 PM »

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2011 - 07:13:24 PM »
Slow going, but its getting there... all the little tedious details are getting taken care of. I got the fuel tank rails welded on, the other e-brake rear bracket welded on since for whatever reason the frame didnt come with it. And I got a few other misc. brackets welded on aswell.

All that is left for peices to be welded on is the 4 front seat floor supports and 1 more rear bracket. I finished welding on the 1/4 panels (the wheel wells and rockers are now done). And I have been doing a ton of grinding, and a ton more left. Im getting lots done but it looks like Im getting nothing done, its starting to drive me nuts.

Oh well, a little at a time and eventually I will get it. I hope to have all the grinding/welding done next time I update and will be deep into the bodyfiller/primer stage.

Here are some pics of todays work. [looks like they are stuck in email somewhere... once they get to my email I will update them.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011 - 07:27:06 PM by pywell »

Offline usraptr

« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2011 - 08:18:05 PM »
Coming along very nicely.  Keep up the good work.  :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2011 - 07:55:27 PM »
Today was a productive day on the challenger. Put in 6hrs on it and managed to get the driver quarter panel on and in final layer of body filler. I used this new stuff (new to me), a polyester spray on filler. I am really impressed so far by what I have seen! If it sands good I dont think I will ever do a car without it again. The passenger side quarter panel is almost done but I need to finish the lower 1/2 and then it will be good to go. My plan for tomorrow is to have the passenger quarter panel done and the roof done aswell in final body filler stage. Then I can flip the car on its side and do a ton of seam sealer, I bought a large amount of factory Fusor seam sealer and some expanding seam sealer for those areas in the kick panel and floor panel to wheel tub. Again waiting for pics to be emailed off my phone to my pc, then I will put them up on my image server and link to them here aswell.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011 - 08:40:12 PM by pywell »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2012 - 06:19:32 PM »
  Keep em comming  :2thumbs::
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline pywell

• Autobody Technician
    • PPC Customs
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2012 - 08:17:22 PM »
Well I had 3 weeks of off time to work on the challenger. Day 1... wife breaks leg. Rest of christmas was spent in hospital waiting for surgery and then the rest of my days off are spent looking after the family and home. So Im afraid that nothing got done on the challenger. I didnt even have time to head to the shop to even look at it.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2012 - 08:21:53 PM »
Hope she heals up soon for yah!! So you can get back to yer chally. Life has a way of kickin you in the Mc nuggets every once and a while.