Author Topic: Fiberglass hood damaged in shipping need advice  (Read 11902 times)

Offline Barracudadan

Fiberglass hood damaged in shipping need advice
« on: December 20, 2010 - 10:49:48 PM »
Just got my AAR hood delivered and the corner of it was cracked bad.Needless to say I AM PISSED!!!!
Here is my problem my wife signed for the shipment since I was still at work.The shipper was supposed to call ahead before they delivered since they were delivering to a residence and not a business address.I was told they would call first so I could be home to sign for it.I just got off the phone with the person I bought hood from they will guarantee the hood and send a new one but I have to pay for shipping since my wife signed for the hood and didn`t know to check it for damage.They claim I now have no recourse with the shipper.I still don`t think it`s right I have to pay for shipping since I already paid for this thing and it shows up busted.I have deliberatly left out the name of the vendor in my post untill this whole thing is settled.It seems to me it`s a 50-50 split between the vendor and shipper to place the blame.The vendor did a poor job packaging the hood,it was in a cardboard box no bubble wrap on the corners nothing at all to protect it,the shipper was just rough and damaged it somewhere during transit.If anyone has had a similar situation happen to them and has any advice it is appreciated.Thanks.

Offline AARCUDADEN

Re: Fiberglass hood damaged in shipping need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010 - 11:12:31 PM »
I have no advice for you but damn that sure sucks. I agree the vendor could have done a much better job packaging your hood. At least around the corners of it anyways especially what they charge for shipping  :faint:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010 - 11:28:18 PM »
no advice, but if you have to eat the shipping, fold the hood smaller, fit it in a much smaller box, and ship it back the roughest way possible...maybe through the Austrailian Outback  :stirpot: good luck and post pics of the hood if possible

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010 - 11:59:32 PM »
Here is a pic of the bashed corner and what it looked like when I opened the box.If I have to pay shipping for another hood i`m wondering if they want the old one back? It`s gonna cost $$ to ship it back and I sure as hell ain`t payin for that! I just might end up with 2 hoods!

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010 - 01:33:58 AM »
If you won't disclose who the hood is from, can you tell me who the shipper was? My wife is a shipping guru. She says depending on who it was, there are different actions you can take. She says it is not the drivers responsibility to handle any kind of dispute and that checking the package while the driver doesn't help any more than dealing with their claims dept.

You need to contact the shipper, despite the seller saying they won't help you.

CONTACT THE SHIPPING COMPANY'S CLAIMS DEPT.!

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010 - 06:27:13 AM »
The shipper was Schenker out of Freeport N.Y I had never heard of them before this.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010 - 06:42:30 AM »
Hang onto the original hood at least until the new one arrives if possible and contact the shipper, you might end up with a second hood or be able to make the shipper pay for its return at least.   :bigsmile:
You might even be able to sell the damaged hood to recover the shipping.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010 - 07:31:38 AM »
that sucks

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010 - 08:44:18 AM »
Did you have it in writing that they were supposed to call before delivery, or was that a gentleman's agreement? If it's in writing, call the shipper and force the issue.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Cuda54

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010 - 09:34:39 AM »
What are you going to do with the bad hood?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010 - 11:50:53 AM »
What are you going to do with the bad hood?

I assume he will have to send it back???

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010 - 08:20:09 PM »
Ok Here is the latest the vendor wants the damaged hood back before he sends me a new one. It looks like I have to pay the shipping for the old hood to go back.He`ll pay for the shipping on the replacement hood to the carriers hub an hours drive away for me.So now I have to make two trips to this hub one to send damaged hood back and then go there again when the new one arrives.
The carrier wont help at all in this mess since the shipment was signed for they don`t want to help.So it looks like they get off the hook and their the ones who damaged the F`in hood in the first place!The middleman or middlewoman in this case (hint!-hint!) already ate the shipping on the damaged hood.I feel she and the vendor are trying to making an honest effort to make this right for me but I don`t think this is gonna end well for me.
I suggested they pay for shipping on the new hood and return shipping on damaged hood in return I`ll buy the hood pin kit,springs and pin brackets from him.Thats about $150-$175 worth of product he gets to move and they can ship it with the new hood.Not sure yet if that idea will work.

So this is how it`s playing out:

1 Vendor sends out new hood pays for shipping,gets old hood back repairs it and re-sells hood to recoup most of his cost.

2 The middleman (middlewoman) I`m not even sure what she loses out on but it has been a major headache for her.I`ll give her that!

3 Me I have to make 2 separate trips to the shipping hub just to get my hood about 4 hours total driving time minimum and pay return shipping on damaged hood to boot!

4 The carrier who ****ed up the hood they win!

Nothing like having to create my own flow chart to see how bad I`m getting porked in the ass!

I am still hoping for a good outcome,either way good or bad when this is done I will say who the parties involved are and the members here can judge their customer service for themselves and decide if they want to do business with them!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010 - 08:33:12 PM »
The carrier wont help at all in this mess since the shipment was signed for they don`t want to help.

There are obviously a lot of variables here, but one thing I'm sure of: if you had it in writing that they were supposed to call you before delivery, then they're responsible. They were supposed to call you because you would know how to inspect the package; your wife was not familiar with the procedure, and so was not qualified to sign. (Don' tell her that  :bigsmile:)

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010 - 08:33:25 PM »
That sucks but looking in that box I would hold the seller responsible for not putting protection at all four corners.
Heres an idea,know any good body/fiberglass guys in your area?if so go get an estimate for the repair and send the vender the estimate?
good luck
Doug

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010 - 09:06:50 PM »
 :iagree:  That packaging by the vendor was criminal!  Total inadequate to ship such a large and fragile item.  The shipper should not be responsible for what is clearly the vendors fault.  I'd like to know the vendor just to see who would send this hood this way  :grinno:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010 - 09:12:08 PM by troutstreamnm »
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500