Author Topic: hit by a semi today  (Read 18280 times)

Offline sadil340

Re: hit by a semi today
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2010 - 12:31:34 PM »
Get a good lawyer ASAP and stop talking to the insurance company directly. If they can cut out the lawyer then they reduce the amount they will have to pay considerably.

You might feel good now but protect yourself and if possible put an open ended medical claim clause into your settlement so if you have future problems they will have to pay medical on it even after your settlement. Good luck, I hope they make everything right.
You've been getting some great advice here...
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2010 - 12:34:08 PM »
Sorry this happened to you. What you are hearing from others is right, the insurance company will be all sugar to you right now trying to get you to settle cheap.

If you have not done it, get a physical like was suggested. Get x-rays and an MRI. You need to know NOW what damage is there so they cannot jerk you around later, and believe me, unless  you settle in the near future they will use everything at their disposal to make you out to be a money hungry, sue happy person. Get a good lawyer ASAP and stop talking to the insurance company directly. If they can cut out the lawyer then they reduce the amount they will have to pay considerably.

After a truck ran over me on my motorcycle in '98 it took months for symptoms and problems from 3 bulging discs and a compression fracture to show up. You might feel good now but protect yourself and if possible put an open ended medical claim clause into your settlement so if you have future problems they will have to pay medical on it even after your settlement. Good luck, I hope they make everything right.

Do This.

Offline one54dodgetruck

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2010 - 03:45:21 PM »
i just went through all of the paperwork that came with the car and picked the last 20,000 miles of the car. i have over 16,600 in receipts including the engine, tranny, brakes and all new front end joints. i just faxed 32 pages of this to the insurance  and the bill of sale for $16,000. i told the guy i would settle for 16,000 and call it good but he says he thinks 12800 is a resonable offer. i hadent even had the car for a full month. so we will see where it goes from here.
andrew
73 challenger rally 340

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2010 - 04:32:51 PM »
Why are you volunteering a settlement amount?  You'll never get $16,000 now.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2010 - 07:29:43 PM »
Even though you have way more $ into it that car in primer before the accident wasn`t worth $12k in this market so as long as there are no injuries anything at or over the $12.8 they are offering is good IMO.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2010 - 08:15:17 PM »
thats not bad of a settlement,,you can sink that 12k and turn that car into a a nice ride,and dont be to quick to settle on that,you need to get under it an look closely,also you should still see a doctor and a chiropractor and see if there is any problems that your unaware ,,dont settle on the medical side untill you do so,,u could end up with 12k and be paying medical bills down the road and no way to fix the car,,most medical problems arise later and you would be stuck with it,,i have problems with my neck due to a wreck from months ago,,luckily i am not out of pocket for anything,,
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2010 - 09:12:44 PM »
First get to a doctor, you will regret not going, telling them what you will take has just down graded your pay-out. What are they saying the wreck is worth? I would be wanting the original purchase price at least plus the wreck thrown in, go and see a lawyer before it is too late. They may be able to salvage something for you other wise the insurance will drag this out until you beg them for crumbs.   :money:
Dave

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2010 - 10:26:03 PM »
Negotiate. Meet em in the middle.  :2cents:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2010 - 04:16:11 PM »
First get to a doctor, you will regret not going, telling them what you will take has just down graded your pay-out. What are they saying the wreck is worth? I would be wanting the original purchase price at least plus the wreck thrown in, go and see a lawyer before it is too late. They may be able to salvage something for you other wise the insurance will drag this out until you beg them for crumbs.   :money:

The attorney can get you 16K...but of course he gets half. Welcome to the good ole USA.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline one54dodgetruck

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2010 - 04:32:23 PM »
The  lawyers in the area dont want to deal with the property damage because their fees would be greater then the settlement. If i went to the ER right after the accident mabe they would go for the personal injury. The problem is i have to many existing medical problems from my time in millitary service. Since I have all the paperwork since the car was new, so yesterday i faxed 32 pages of receipts for the last 20,000 miles that added to over 16,600 so i figured 16,000 was a fair price. I have a bill of sale for $16,000 thats dated nov 28 2010 i havent had the for a month when the accident happened.
andrew
73 challenger rally 340

Offline one54dodgetruck

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2011 - 07:04:52 PM »
Claim Settled!!!!! :money: :money:
$20,000 on its way here and i keep the car! :woohoo:
thanks for all the support.
i had to call the trucking company and tell them that a good friend works at our local new station and  wants to do a storie about companys pushing their drivers to hard and they wanted to interview me! about a hour later i got a call from the insurance offering the money i requested. which to me is a reasonable amount.
thanks
again
andrew
Ps need to build another shop to fix this car.
73 challenger rally 340

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2011 - 07:09:14 PM »
As long as you are ok and happy, that is all that matters...glad it worked out for you!
Jason

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011 - 09:19:11 PM »
Good job. In my opinion they should still go and do the story. You probably had to sign something saying you wouldn't go through with the story?

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011 - 10:04:24 PM »
That turned out pretty well , as long as you are OK physically?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2011 - 10:18:52 PM »
Good news Andrew!  If you are OK physically that is a very good settlement.  Good luck with the body rebuild.  I still have that rotisserie and let us know which size shop you go with.  PK
The Brewmaster