Poll: "Clone" or "Custom"?

Author Topic: Poll: "Clone" or "Custom"?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Poll: "Clone" or "Custom"?
« on: November 22, 2004 - 12:17:04 PM »

I've always been a negative person towards the use of calling cars "clones" and try to call them Customs.

What do you prefer? I wouldn't call a Hot Rod a clone instead a Custom so why should we label our MoPars as "clones"?

What do you think sounds better? Challenger Clone, or Custom Challenger?   :grinyes:

It just sounds too tacky. You clone sheep, not MoPars.  8) Have your say........... :thumbs:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004 - 12:18:46 PM by NZ 440RT »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: Poll: "Clone" or "Custom"?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004 - 01:35:48 PM »
I've always thought of a clone as a car that is made out to be a higher level car. For instance a plain jane 70 challenger having a big block and an RT hood and badges would be a clone.  However, if a 70 challenger's engine blew sometime in it's life and the owner put in a new big block (now non-#s), it's not considered a clone...or a custom....just not #'s matching.  Soooo....I'd have to say none of the above.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004 - 01:53:59 PM »

It just sounds too tacky. You clone sheep, not MoPars.  8) Have your say........... :thumbs:

NZ you are too much!!

Let us not forget phantom cars either ( I believe the descript is a car that never was but could have been say like a big block '73 chalenger )  :wave:
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004 - 01:55:29 PM »
 :nono:

I do know how to spell Challenger, just don't proof read.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004 - 01:58:48 PM »
I consider a clone to be a car that tries to exactly duplicate an original.  Same badges, clamps, markings, colors, etc...  Not saying that everything has to be exact, but at least appear that way.
Custom, to me is when the owner tries to do things differently than the originial.  Could be putting different options together that orginally would not be available together, modernization of the car, or just getting creative with body work and or paint.

This being the way I look at it, most old muscle cars fall in to the custom category for me.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004 - 03:34:18 PM »
The question is . . . "what do you call a non numbers matching mopar?"   I guess I would call it 'Modified'  Since that is what you did ... right?

Clone = Exact reproduction
Custom = One of a kind . . . not available stock, never see another one exactly like it.
Modified = Not original but could of come that way . . . different engine, stripes, paint or other changes.

Just my opinion   :dontknow:     :grinyes:  :grinno:  :grinyes:  :grinno:

Offline JHMoparnut

• 74 Chally 440 Auto SOLD :>(
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004 - 04:01:21 PM »
I guess I'll call my 74 chally a "mutt"  :laughing:. Since it has a 70 front clip, 74 tailights, 70 sidemarker lights, 70 R/T hood, 70 interior, 440 engine and auto trans and non-mopar paint. Hopefully, by spring it will have the correct front clip and side marker lights.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004 - 04:31:23 PM »
All I can say is my '73 is going to be a clone, yet custom does sound so much better. :thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004 - 06:34:59 PM »
I agree with Rev, 4Cruzin and Hemi Dog on this topic. 

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004 - 06:40:48 PM »
A clone is taking a 318 car and making it a stock look alike of a 440 R/T.A custom is not stock looking or not exactly factory looking,it would be obviuosly modified.My Barracuda is what I consider modified b/c even though it has a 340,`cuda hood,dual exhaust rear valance,Rallye dash etc. it has 340 four barrel hood emblems instead of `cuda 340,has no `cuda emblem on the tail panel and is obviously modofied under the hood with chrome and non-stock items,aftermarket wheels etc.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 71'cuda340

• Mopar OR slow car!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004 - 06:59:38 PM »
A non #'s car is just a non #'s car.  It's not a clone, just because it doesn't have the same engine it left the factory with.   It's also not considered a custom car because of an engine swap.   ;)   just my opinion

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004 - 07:15:28 PM »
Not a big issue with me, the word was fine till all the #'s fanatics made it a curse.
The 73 is a 318 car "cloned" into a cuda lookalike, by the time I'm done it will be even more "modified" but to my liking & thats where it ends up for me, Modified to my taste! nough said! ;)
The 74 is a Cuda, but the engine doesn't match anyway, but it was a nice B5 car & I will do it up that way, but I'm no way gonna spend an extra 10 large to buy "nos" parts! So I guess that will be modified too! ;D Rich.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004 - 09:36:35 PM »
I consider a clone to be a car that tries to exactly duplicate an original.  Same badges, clamps, markings, colors, etc...  Not saying that everything has to be exact, but at least appear that way.
Custom, to me is when the owner tries to do things differently than the originial.  Could be putting different options together that orginally would not be available together, modernization of the car, or just getting creative with body work and or paint.

This being the way I look at it, most old muscle cars fall in to the custom category for me.

I agree :iagree:
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004 - 10:02:00 PM »
 :iagree:

Me too!

Below.......modified/custom engine bay

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004 - 10:54:02 PM »
The question is . . . "what do you call a non numbers matching mopar?"   I guess I would call it 'Modified'  Since that is what you did ... right?

Clone = Exact reproduction
Custom = One of a kind . . . not available stock, never see another one exactly like it.
Modified = Not original but could of come that way . . . different engine, stripes, paint or other changes.

Just my opinion   :dontknow:     :grinyes:  :grinno:  :grinyes:  :grinno:

Modified, would be classed as, Restified, I'm sure you've heard that?  :grinyes:

My car uis being restored but with a few of my personal touches and with some of todays tech = Restified.  ;D

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60