Hypereutectic Pistons and NOS

Author Topic: Hypereutectic Pistons and NOS  (Read 4399 times)

Offline gunmetal

Hypereutectic Pistons and NOS
« on: December 26, 2010 - 04:23:44 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on using a 100 shot of NOS on a pretty much stock 340 with Hypereutectic Pistons?  Dyno's at 227 HP> I"ve been told both; don't do it and it should be no issue what so ever. Not sure on the brand of pistons only have about 3500 miles on the motor.  The manufactureres (NOS sniper kit) say it is not an issue.  I don't plan on using it very much.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: Hypereutectic Pistons and NOS
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010 - 05:06:40 PM »
OK for occasional use. Don't go over the 100 hp mark, hypereutectic pistons are brittle by comparison.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010 - 05:51:07 PM »
When you say things like "Not sure of the brand of pistons" and "I don't plan on using it very much."...

Both of these things can spell disaster when using Nitrous and Hypereutectic pistons...

Kinda like using a Turbo with a 10:1 motor, you better be SURE your tune up is dead nuts on, or you'll be buying some nice new parts....I don't recommend using Nitrous if the engine has Hyper. pistons as you don't know what the builder set the ring gap for..There's a ring gap for Nitrous, Alcohol, Gasoline, Blower, Turbo, etc...If you don't know, you are sure to leave the piston tops in the bores. This happened ALOT with the 1991-93 Mustang 5.0 engines and Hypereutectic pistons from the factory when running Nitrous...

Oh and BTW: Once you experience What I refer to as "Nitrous Happy", that idea of "Only use it occasionally" crap goes out the window.....You will be bombin' that thing every time you turn around as all your buddies will be wanting to use YOUR car as their "test bed" for whether or not they should buy a Kit.....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010 - 05:56:12 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline rb70

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010 - 07:13:36 PM »
Vette's run hyper pistons and run 11:1 compression and I know of a lot of racers using 100-125 shot w/no problems.

Offline Cooter

• christinecarclub.com
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010 - 07:50:15 PM »
And I've bomb'd 500 HP Pro shot fogger system on a "Stock" 302 Ford and lived as well....I just figured he wanted the car to live a little longer than 5 passes...

Offline gunmetal

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010 - 10:55:22 PM »
Now I guess you see my confusion.  I do want  to have the car last longer than 5 passes. Everyones got good points.  It still sounds like it will work as long as I don't go crazy but will degrade the life of the engine if it's not tuned right. No matter what I would not go over a 100 shot.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010 - 03:26:17 AM »
I know what you're thinking. It's cheaper to go fast with what you have now + nitrous. You could build another engine to get your speed but that costs alot more money.

Unless that more economical nitrous kit melts a piston. My opinion is that you should only play with fire if you know EXACTLY what is in your engine. Compression ratio, ring gap, ......brand of piston?
Better solution may be to buy a better set of pistons and gap the rings for nitrous. Beat rebuilding an engine or wasting the whole block .

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010 - 05:43:46 AM »
There is no such thing as an occasional squirt of funny gas, it is like when we build our motors we want to get more out of them just after they are finished and saying that 100 will be the max. it won't take long before you might just add a bit more.   :burnout:
Dave

Offline gunmetal

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010 - 10:05:23 AM »
Scares me to death.  I started off wanting a set of heads and ran into as you all know expensive options.  I'd like to add 100 horse and the NOS is the cheapest way to do so.  I think I'll keep the kit and see what I can do after I save some funds for other options.
Seems like a winter project to change pistons, cam and heads.  After I find about $2,000...........

Offline 440mike

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010 - 02:37:40 PM »
it is not the nitros that breaks things, it is the way it is used and tuned for the nitros that kills stuff.
 you are prolly thinking of just using a tee into your existing fuel line now for example, for the nitros ?
 how do you know, you have enough fuel to supply the nitros off the existing line ? because the instructions say so ?
wrong !
Go lean and boom !
hypers are strong because they are hard, but that makes them brittle also ?
detonation(lean), is a high freqency vibration which can shatter & break the strong but brittle hyper piston.

if you are thinking of nitros, make sure you back the timing up at least 6 degrees for 100hp, and have tons of fuel delivery, make it rich to be safe.
if you are going to tee into the fuel line make sure you back up the stock fuel pump with an electric at the back.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010 - 07:58:01 PM »
It takes a little bit to break them. The small kits are designed rich. Dont mess with that. Pull 2-4° of timing out of it and run one step colder plugs. However, more worrying to me is not the hyper material as they can take a lot of punishment, but rather the manufacturer of the pistons. KB has a special top ring gap that's wider than normal, and if you are planning to beat on it or run NOS, you add even more gap. So if you have the KBs, and the top rings are not gapped properly, even if the tune is perfect you could butt the ring and break pistons.

Offline Cooter

• christinecarclub.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010 - 08:28:02 PM »
I know a sure fire way for you to add OVER 100 HP, still drive it normally and not have to run Nitrous....

Put a 440 in it...Then, that guy in that 5.0 liter will be a distant memory..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010 - 08:33:28 PM by Cooter »