Calendar Question(s)

Author Topic: Calendar Question(s)  (Read 3564 times)

Alaskan_TA

Re: Calendar Question(s)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011 - 05:28:20 PM »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011 - 06:07:02 PM »
no problem with sending in multiple pictures of the same car, as long as there`s someone skilled to select the best pose ,before voting.

Speaking as the guy who was putting them up this year, and may well be doing the same next year, I'd rather avoid making those decisions for a couple of reasons. One is time; believe it or not, more than one person sent in more than a dozen pics. I didn't mind helping folks choose a shot, but a couple of times I had to put people off for a few days.

The other is more ethical. I had a lot of people ask me for advice about which pic to use among several, and I was happy to offer advice, and will do so again if asked. I don't want people to think that I was playing favorites, though, so I'd rather have owners themselves choose their own final submission so they can go with their gut and not have to think about my motivations.

I would also like to see the pages printed on sheetmetal...  :biggrin:   that would be nice walldecoration in the shop...  :woohoo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011 - 06:17:08 PM »
One set of older rules at http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=48725.0

Thanks Barry; those are the rules that I used for this year's voting. I'm trying to pare that down to essential information and make sure that the ideas that are coming up here are addressed.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011 - 10:14:11 PM »
Now that the 2011 calendar had been put to bed, I'm working on getting things updated for the 2012. I had a bunch of questions, and I may put them all here or put each in a different thread. I don't want to clutter things up too much, but I do want to get feedback from a lot of people.

First question: I could swear that at some point we had a rule that pictures submitted for the calendar had to be taken by the person submitting them. I can't find any sign of this, though. Is my mind making this up?

More info may follow if either that was a rule that I missed this year, or people think it should be a rule.

...to me, it only makes sense a person would have to do their own photography of their own car, thats what makes it fun and interesting (and maybe we can all improve our skills)...BUT, that would completely eliminate all action shots with the owner at the wheel...solution, another category for action shots of you at the wheel of your car...dedicate a couple of months (based on number of entries) for these types of shots and let them compete separately from the parked shots...just an idea
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011 - 11:14:08 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011 - 10:30:31 PM »
...photoshop....enhancing color, contrast, makes the photo come to life...it should be allowed to make the pix as nice as possible...extensive editing/changes are really hard to distinguish where they start and where they stop...to me, the photo tells the story, if it looks good, allow it, if it looks hokey, the voters will decide anyway

...one photo entry per car
...no cars repeated for a year or two
...multiple cars per owner, I'll stay out of this one, I had 2 cars in this years calendar and have more shots (different cars) for next year

...I guess bottom line is, do we want the 12 most popular (best) shots, or get choked up in rules...would dropping all the rules make any difference in the contest entries or results ?

...pix...my early attempts at car photography  :>)

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011 - 10:52:56 PM »
Is there a problem with the calendar or format? Granted, I've been in the last two, but I think it works because it's so simple right now. I thought several offered some great photo suggestions...lose the clutter, don't shoot on grass, find a setting that makes for a great overall picture.

Shooting your car in a driveway works better if you aim away from the garage.

Lose any distractions...the shot is of your car, not your wheelbarrow or dog.

We can rule this thing to death, or we can help others compose better shots...
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011 - 11:31:53 PM »
I'm not a big rules fan myself. What I'm really trying to do is clarify questions that I was asked during this year's run. When I looked at the rules a they are, they seemed unclear on this things.

Just from my experience I think that the people here are more than willing to help other's improve their shots.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011 - 02:02:33 AM »
...to me, it only makes sense a person would have to do their own photography of their own car, thats what makes it fun and interesting (and maybe we can all improve our skills)...BUT, that would completely eliminate all action shots with the owner at the wheel...solution, another category for action shots of you at the wheel of your car...dedicate a couple of months (based on number of entries) for these types of shots and let them compete separately from the parked shots...just an idea

So could one use a self timer or a remote shutter to capture the action shot?

That's the problem with rules there are always people willing to think out side the box.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011 - 07:18:53 AM »
I like the idea of amateur shots.
By owner or friend or wife or whatever.
If some members are better then amateur photographers...well...that's just their good luck.

I intend to make a submission for the next one now that mine's close enough to finished.
An international entry!!!
Do you think a few kangaroos in the foreground would help my chances?? :roflsmiley:
Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011 - 11:04:54 AM »
personally, I'd love to see the "roos" included.

I come from an 'old school" photography background, we enhanced photos in the darkroom on the spotting bench with oils or dyes, always with the end result for the betterment of the image. Image enhancement has been going on forever.

The images that were adjusted for the fillers in the calendar are the fun factor and I enjoy them. 

Too many rules takes the fun out, if a shot is good and can be enhanced to make it great, then why not. I'm not in favor of changing it so far from the original, but a few adjustments can open the field to many more entries.

I think the suggestion of getting out and taking pics before the calendar call comes is a great one. Shoot away post here and get feedback, that's how you learn.

judy

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011 - 12:45:12 PM »
The images that were adjusted for the fillers in the calendar are the fun factor and I enjoy them. 

For that matter, the main images were adjusted. I know Judy understands this, but images print differently than they look on a monitor, so there are always changes being made.

Too many rules takes the fun out, if a shot is good and can be enhanced to make it great, then why not. I'm not in favor of changing it so far from the original, but a few adjustments can open the field to many more entries.

I don't look at this as adding rules. In fact, I think (IIRC) that John's list had 9 or 10 rules, and my revision I'm working on has (I think) 5. More to the point, I look at it as clarifying things, especially in the realm of questions that came up.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline 1ownr

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011 - 01:08:08 PM »
 :2thumbs:

that's what I like about "jam" sessions, it gets everybody thinking and contributing.

great input, David

judy

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011 - 10:08:52 PM »
For that matter, the main images were adjusted. I know Judy understands this, but images print differently than they look on a monitor, so there are always changes being made.

HK , this site may be a help. It has various profiles for different monitors. Their profile worked great on my Samsung.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011 - 08:04:58 AM »
HK , this site may be a help. It has various profiles for different monitors. Their profile worked great on my Samsung.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Thanks, dodj. I actually use a Pantone Color Spyder, a sensor which goes over my monitor and generates a custom profile calibrated for the monitor, its age, and the lighting in the room.

- Han Solo, Star Wars