Author Topic: Where do you bolt your motor stand to?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
Where do you bolt your motor stand to?
« on: January 03, 2011 - 07:19:58 PM »
I would assume where the trans bolts to, but it seems like four 3/8 inch bolts are kinda small to be holding up the weight of a small block. But I really don't see another place to bolt it to. Thanks for the help. Oh and pics would be great if y'all have any.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Where do you bolt your motor stand to?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011 - 07:31:44 PM »
Two 3/8 grade 8 bolts into the threaded holes for the bellhousing, and two of the same bolts with nuts on the end for the 'outboard' mounts on my 360. Poor thing has been that way for like 5 years now  :crying: :eek4:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011 - 08:30:34 PM »
Same set up for all v8's. Just think what a big block looks like on there. Just use a good engine stand.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011 - 09:09:21 PM »
They make another type of stand for long term storage. It is lower to the ground and cradles the engine. Not much use for rebuilding but rather to sit it on while you finish the rest of the car. I was thinking of getting one for my 383 when I redo the whole body as it is easier to move around and store.  Fairly cheap too and more secure. Everytime I see my loaded big block straining on the four little bolts I wonder if they will last through the night. They do though.

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011 - 10:06:37 PM »
I just took my 440 off a stand that was rated at 750 pounds.  I was worried at first but it held it up for two years.  As I added components back on I did brace it from the bottom unless I was rotating it. That kept it from jiggling up and down when I was working on it. A small block should be no sweat.  PK
The Brewmaster

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011 - 10:22:58 PM »
They make another type of stand for long term storage. It is lower to the ground and cradles the engine. Not much use for rebuilding but rather to sit it on while you finish the rest of the car. I was thinking of getting one for my 383 when I redo the whole body as it is easier to move around and store.  Fairly cheap too and more secure. Everytime I see my loaded big block straining on the four little bolts I wonder if they will last through the night. They do though.

I just moved my 360 short block x-country on a 'rebuild' stand. I ended up making a 2x4 brace for it that bolted through the balancer bolt to take much of the load/bounce off the back of the stand. I was certainly nervous about road vibrations and dropping the block through the floor of the trailer!  :bricks1: :faint:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011 - 07:45:11 AM »
I now have an engine stand that bolts onto the bell housing but a few years back I made my own stand which bolted to the engine mounts and it rotated length ways, good for installing the cam. The main reason was so I could bolt the gearbox or auto up, and no it didn't over balance but I did put a stand under the transmission if it was going to sit around for awhile.   :working:
Dave

Offline alphabuck

• Pics of my project
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011 - 04:56:22 PM »
my 750 pound rated rhino stand i put a scissors jack under the harmonic balancer to support my 360 donor motor.  my 1250 pound rated bluepoint stand i just bolted my motor up to with 4 grade 8 bolts and the stand doesnt even know theres an engine on it.  it moves and spins and twirls like a contestant on a tv dancing show.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011 - 10:02:59 PM »
Ok. It just seemed to me like I should check. I bought the 1 ton stand from Harbor freight. Not the best, but it's pretty sturdy. I didn't use the holes on the bottom that the studs go into for the trans, but I used the two holes directly above that. Once I get the heads and intake off it will take some weight off.
Kevin

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011 - 04:05:58 PM »
I had a 392 hemi on a Harbor Freight engine stand for quite some time with no problems at all. That thing weighed a good 200 lbs. more than a smallblock, and the 3/8th's bolts were just fine.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011 - 04:26:15 PM »
Cool/ Thanks for the help yall!
Kevin

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011 - 08:13:19 AM »
I bolt mine to the motor  :dunno:

Couldn't resist  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars