Author Topic: vynil top problems  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Mopars Rule!!!!!!!! Always Have, Always Will
  • Chrysler did it best!
vynil top problems
« on: January 05, 2011 - 09:07:46 AM »
Hello!
About 6 months ago, I tackled the job of installing a vynil top on my challenger. I used a spray can of 3m vynil top glue. I followed the directions. In the last month or so, the vynil seems like it is shrinking on the B pillars. the glue did not work for some reason. The vynil used to go down to the trim and now it is above the trip and is curling up. I had a tuff time making it fit on the B pillars when I installed it. I had to use the flat body panel pliers to pull it down and I put weight on the pliers until the adhesive dried. I'm not sure how to tackle this issue. the top of the roof looks fine. I need to find some glued that will perminatly adhere the top to the B pillars. I am also going to run into an issue of removing the dried up glue that is now on the B pillars and the vynil top. I can sand it off the B pillars, but I'm not sure about the back of the vynil. I will post pics as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011 - 09:09:31 AM by Scat Pack Fever »

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Re: vynil top problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011 - 01:56:10 PM »
Well i would be pretty upset myself.  I installed my own as well(first time ever)last spring.  I made the mistake the first time of trimming my vinyl so i didnt have so much excess hanging all over the place as i pulled it.  $200 Mistake!    :banghead:   I found that there is an ideal position for it. So the second one, i positioned properly and i had to do very little stretching and pulling. As far as the glue, i used almost 2 quart cans of the brush on Weldwood vinyl glue that i bought from Home Depot. So far the stuff has worked great. If you have areas pulling up now, i would think that maybe you stretched to hard and regardless the glue, it probably wont hold if there is that much tension.   :clueless:   good luck

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Chrysler did it best!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011 - 03:50:20 PM »
Cool! Thanks for the response! I think I might have made the same $200 mistake. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair:

Offline Roppa440

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011 - 04:39:25 PM »
You probably need at least 3 cans of that spray glue (maybe even 4) to get enough on there. Just smooth the vinyl down with a firm sweep of a damp cloth. Dont try to stretch it. Work from the center line to one side spraying a six inch strip at a time. Then do the other side. The important bit is to mark the centerline of the vinyl with chalk or something and also mark the centerline of the roof so that the whole thing starts at the right point. Work in a heated garage to keep the vinyl supple.
Dave
1970 Challenger R/T
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011 - 04:49:33 PM »
I found that there seemed to be a slight built in crease in the vinyl above the rear window. Having that positioned in the right place and not cutting off any vinly material untill i was 100% certain, made for an almost perfect second job.   :bigsmile:

Offline Matt70

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011 - 10:21:22 PM »
 :popcorn:

Great info guys
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011 - 10:18:23 PM »
Challenger crazy is right. In the old days when we'd lift a corner to replace a 1/4, we'd have a hell of a time with the old glue residue showing through the roof. You can wash it (somewhat) with lacquer thinner to remove some, but be careful because you can also wash the base out of the material. The other guys are right on the money, measure, centre, install, don't stretch for length(ripples are ok to pull) and don't cut ANYTHING until you're happy with how it lies. Besides, the vinyl guys kids have to eat, too. Speaking of which, does anyone know where to access 'gator pattern vinyl for MY roof? 74 Challenger, sorry.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011 - 11:39:18 PM »
I'm not sure where to get a correct one.  I did see a post about getting a correct Gator top on Moparts.  It was awhile back so you will have to do a search for it.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Chrysler did it best!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011 - 10:43:56 AM »
I thought I saw it in the legendary catalog.

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011 - 10:04:58 PM »
Legendary is repoping is gator tops.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)

Offline acudanut

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011 - 10:10:14 AM »
 I just bit the bullet and paid an upholstery shop to install my vynil  :roflsmiley:.....I mean vinyl... top.  Or was it Vineall.... Why is there no spell check here.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011 - 10:12:39 AM by acudanut »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011 - 12:21:22 PM »
I mean vinyl... top.  Or was it Vineall.... Why is there no spell check here.  :banghead:

That word trips me up too.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011 - 12:59:00 PM »
 :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011 - 01:13:24 PM »
Well, I decided to replace my original vinyl (?) top (and a new paint job ($$) so spent the day stripping off the old top and trim.   Was afraid of some rust issues under the corner pieces of the original top (discolored) - but I was pleasantly surprised of no issues.   This car has the original windshield, back window (only 44,000 miles on her)   

It was difficult getting the window trim (and vinyl off) as they seemed to have installed the windows after the top - so the sealant around the glass was holding the vinyl & trim pieces.   I wasn't too smart though - should have taken the drip rails off first :)   

I also note that while the they had traveling broadcast sheets telling the crew what to do -- they marked a big ole "W" on the roof to be sure this car got a White top!    I was looking at Legendary last night - they seem to have the right grain top.   

When I was going to college, I had a buddy who had a Top Shop business - put vinyl tops on dealer cars (instead of ordering from factory, this guy made $60/top and dealer retailed at $120 - he made a good living off it while they were hot.  He would do 3 or 4 a day -- I helped him many times - so putting one on now (35 years later) doesn't seem to scary  :cheers:

A few pics...

VT Mopar

VT MOPAR