Author Topic: whats the easiest way to remove hood springs?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Barracudadan

whats the easiest way to remove hood springs?
« on: January 05, 2011 - 11:53:30 AM »
Just got my AAR hood and I need to switch the stock springs out for the new springs to go with my hood. I`ve never done this before and was wondering if there are any tricks to this,or do I just pry them off with a screwdriver and keep my fingers out of harms way.I assume the hood should be removed first from the hinges before I change springs or does it not matter.If I can`t get a second pair of hands right away to help with the hood I`d like to at least change the springs if  possible.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: whats the easiest way to remove hood springs?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011 - 12:37:12 PM »
No Tricks.

Take them off the car, in relaxed position, use a large pry bar between.
Best put in vice to hold and steady it while you do it.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011 - 05:50:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply I just wasnt sure how to go about it maybe this weekend I can get it done.Thanks

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011 - 06:04:34 PM »
While I have never tried this, someone said once to shove paint stir sticks in between the coils till you can just slide it off?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011 - 08:14:56 PM »
Another method is to insert flat washers between the coils, make two rows of washers one row opposite the other.  Force sharp screwdriver between coils, then insert washer and remove/insert screwdriver between next set of coils. May have to experiment to find best washer thickness, maybe try 6 washers each row.
I did this method to replace the clutch pedal return spring.   The washers spread the hook ends of the spring further apart, and then just lift the spring out of position.  After install the spring, use vise grips to pull out the washers. Worked perfect.
Phil

Offline DY3-T/A

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011 - 08:18:47 PM »
Removing is easy , put a number of pieces of cardboard or whatever between the expanded spring and and open the hood all the way , the spring stays stretched .  Now to put the new spring on , be careful .  :-\ 

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011 - 08:57:12 PM »
To do it on the car;

Put a LONG heavy-duty screwdriver through the front hook at a slight angle.

Use the angle to keep the spring hook next to the front of the handle so it can not slide.

Moving springs hurt people, so see the step above again.

Using one hand on the handle & one hand as far away as possible on the LONG shaft of the screwdriver, pull the spring straight forward.

Once the front hook clears the notch in the hinge, move it a little off to one side, ease up until the spring relaxes then remove it.

A pal to hold the hood up helps, but is not always required.

Either way, be careful.

Offline daveh

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011 - 01:10:22 PM »
Make it simple and easy.  For 25 years I've been doing the following and it's very easy and you won't scratch the springs.  Take a piece of rope I use 3/8" boat line but anything strong enough will work.  With the hinges attached to the car stand in front of the car wrap the rope around both hands a couple of times and then over the front of the spring.  With your body leveraged right pull slow and hard.  The spring will come right off of the hinge and let off of the rope easy.  Installation is in the reverse.  Even if it let's loose it will go the opposite way.  But that has never happened to me in all of these years. 

I know some of you guys will say no but it works great and it's simple.  It doesn't have to be complicated to work.  Who wants to fit all of those washers in there and mess with a screw driver.  Keep it simple.  Good luck.

Dave

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011 - 01:52:10 PM »
I'm sure most of use ignore eye protection most of the time, but this is one time where I would seek out goggles/safety glasses beforehand.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011 - 01:58:52 PM »
I wouldnt make to much of a fuzz about them springs.  You guys are talking like they should be compared to coilsprings that keep your car from sitting on the ground.  These springs aren`t  hard to pull out... the rope will work just fine. Also, the springs are the pulling kind, so no way they will come after you.... and if they would they would make contact lenses out of your goggles in the blink of an eye...  :2cents:
*** Bart ***

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011 - 02:18:16 PM »
Anything with a lot of energy stored can release a lot of energy. Chaos theory says that we can't predict the outcome of the energy release. Which is a fancy way of saying that the scredriver can slip and fly off, the springs can fly off and hit something else sending it flying, little shards of metal could shave off and go flying...

Eye protection is cheap and fast. Eyes are not cheap.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011 - 11:15:13 PM »
I used a similar method thaat daveh used and it worked way too easy. When I picked up my Challenger project, someone had already taken the springs off. Instead of a rope, I just used another old spring. Hooked it on the back of the upright spring and I had no trouble pulling it onto the front. When I disassemble it for cleaning and paint, I might try the rope trick. The springs really aren't that strong, in my opinion.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011 - 10:54:33 AM »
I wouldnt make to much of a fuzz about them springs.  You guys are talking like they should be compared to coilsprings that keep your car from sitting on the ground.  These springs aren`t  hard to pull out... the rope will work just fine. Also, the springs are the pulling kind, so no way they will come after you.... and if they would they would make contact lenses out of your goggles in the blink of an eye...  :2cents:

Exactly...they work oppositely from a coil spring in the suspension...and if they did not, plastic goggles would not help at all...use a rope

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011 - 02:32:24 PM »
Make it simple and easy.  For 25 years I've been doing the following and it's very easy and you won't scratch the springs.  Take a piece of rope I use 3/8" boat line but anything strong enough will work.  With the hinges attached to the car stand in front of the car wrap the rope around both hands a couple of times and then over the front of the spring.  With your body leveraged right pull slow and hard.  The spring will come right off of the hinge and let off of the rope easy.  Installation is in the reverse.  Even if it let's loose it will go the opposite way.  But that has never happened to me in all of these years. 

I know some of you guys will say no but it works great and it's simple.  It doesn't have to be complicated to work.  Who wants to fit all of those washers in there and mess with a screw driver.  Keep it simple.  Good luck.

Dave

This sounds like a good method, I've never done it myself, but I've always thought the washer/screwdriver method would scratch everything up.

You need to post a youtube video for us chickens.