1971 Cuda

Author Topic: 1971 Cuda  (Read 4672 times)

Offline R71CUDA

1971 Cuda
« on: January 06, 2011 - 11:26:47 AM »
So my journey continues!  It’s off to the body shop in Mid-January 2011 or sooner.  It will take 2-days to strip it down.  Then I get to see what is there for the first time.  A plan of attack will be made, then it’s off to media blasting.  The motor and trany will get sent off to be done.  With the back-log at the media blaster, it may be back at the body shop sometime in late February.  Then “real body” is reveled.
71 Cuda
2003 PT Cruiser - Ghost Flamed GT Turbo

Offline Cdnchallenger

Re: 1971 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011 - 12:25:45 PM »
Great project.

What are your color plans?

Steve

Offline R71CUDA

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011 - 12:48:06 PM »
Keeping it factory.  B5 Blue
71 Cuda

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011 - 01:45:08 PM »
Long time coming, good for you! That's going to be a sweet 'cuda once the paint has flown :2thumbs:

Do you have a written contract laying out what is to be done at/through the shop that will be performing the work? Pictures along the way, everything bagged and tagged and all that jazz?

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline R71CUDA

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011 - 01:53:35 PM »
I am looking foreward to it.

Thank you for that input on pics and bag and tag.  It is greatly appreciated.  I have done those thing on the parts I have capability nand started.  I will pose those questions as I go forward.  You all know what happens when you assume, so that will be part of the next step.  If anyone has any other input regarding their experiences, or things I should consider when working with these shops, I am open to your thoughts as I am sure others here are.  Thank you once again!

Steve
71 Cuda

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011 - 02:42:36 PM »
Thanks Steve, it's a two part process before the shop even receives the car.

Discussing what you would like them to accomplish and them explaining the length of time as well as resources necessary to carry out each step/phase; then transferring the verbal into the written. It protects both the shop as well as the car owner from future misunderstandings.

I am on this path with my own Challenger; no contract other than verbal before my car went to a local shop late 2006. Even though they are Mopar folk through and through, quick turnover collision and insurance jobs had to be given priority - it is after all how they meet payroll and day to day operating expenses. Four years later the rolling chassis occupys a rented storage unit and the forseeable future will be spent paying down life's normal bill$. I'm still on good terms with them however my car will be completed at a dedicated restoration shop when the time comes :)

Learning from the various threads and experiences here at c-c.com is invaluable. Everyone knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge :working:

Plan a family trip to Carlisle to meet those members who show up there if you can - they're even better in person. You haven't lived until you've seen Chryco Psycho woop up on a carb with a mini-screwdriver and a pen-knife!!

Didn't mean to be so long winded man :blah: :blah:

:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011 - 02:44:33 PM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011 - 03:31:16 PM »
BE VERY CAREFUL!  Lots of gone down the path you have and not often does it end well.  Get EVERYTHING in writing and I do mean EVERYTHING.

If you only do one thing besides getting it in writing, ask for referrals of previous customers.  Take the time to go see these people and the restorations the customers ended up with.  Ask these older customs about their experiences with the shop.

Good luck!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011 - 04:11:40 PM »
Congratulations! It will be a very exciting journey! Keep us updated on the progress.

Definitely define a plan of action for your build and stick to it (as much as possible). If you waver while other people are working on your car, the time and cost could likely get way out of hand. Even with a solid plan in place, my advice is to keep an open line of communication between you and the restoration shop helping you out. Time can rack up on a project like this very quickly and lead to some surprising bills. I have to admit that I spent way more money on my car than what it's worth, but in the end, I'm really happy with the car, and -- I'm told -- "if you get what you want, you soon will forget what you paid for it." I'm not sure if I've totally forgotten, but I haven't had a chance to enjoy the car much yet either.  :)
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011 - 04:33:38 PM »
I'm envious! :bigsmile:  Looks like a 1st rate project! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline R71CUDA

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011 - 05:00:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.   :wave:

Truly, it is greatly appreciated.  I will make my own plan of attack as I go in ao ensure everything is covered. :worshippy
71 Cuda

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011 - 07:22:50 PM »
That's going to be an AWESOME car when you're done.  Also, another thing that helps is to let the shop know you will be stopping by every Tuesday and Thursday to take updated photos on the progress.

Have fun and keep posting those pictures along the way.  :clapping:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011 - 07:38:21 PM »
Nice 71'.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011 - 11:25:40 PM »
Great car to start with as far as I can tell. Keep us posted on the progress!  :thumbsup:
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011 - 03:53:54 PM »
Well looks like you have a good start on your project good luck.My husband does restorations here in PA and one thing he tells people when they start on the process is expect to run into problems and surprises so be ready for the unexpected things to happen and go wrong.Make sure the shop takes alot of pics so you have a record that is what he does.

good luck

and good to see another 71 saved and redone.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline R71CUDA

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011 - 04:34:35 PM »
Hi Michele,

Thanks for the insight from someone really close to the process.  I feel bodywork is an art, and that is one brush that is not in my tool kit.  Fortunately, the shop I have chosen is just slightly out of the way I go to work.  It is just over 12-miles from home, and a little over 8-miles from where I work.

BTW, your Cuda looks great.  I like the way the car sits with the aftermarket rims.  Any mods to the suspension from the factory like drop spindles?  It doesn't look like a mini-tub based on the size if the rear tires.  What did you use for rims and tires?

Steve
71 Cuda