Author Topic: AMD 4 Speed Hump Installation Placement  (Read 4763 times)

Offline rhamson

AMD 4 Speed Hump Installation Placement
« on: January 07, 2011 - 09:50:57 AM »
I am in the process of restomoding my '72 Challenger and am trying to locate the placement of the AMD part on the tunnel. After placing it on the tunnel there seems to be a lot of shifting sloppiness that makes me hesitant to start massaging the part in place. Does anybody have any measurements I could go by to locate the part. I don't have the motor or the 4 speed to reference from.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
Re: AMD 4 Speed Hump Installation Placement
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011 - 08:51:09 PM »
I wish I could help you with this one, but I can say that I installed a 4-speed AMD hump in 69 Dart not too long ago and it literally just fell in place,there wasn't but 1/8 of an inch movemement. If you can't get any help here,try moparts. Good luck, 
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011 - 09:19:06 PM »
i cant remember if mine was an amd or not but it lined up good when i put it in for a test fit,,marked it out,and  and it lined up very nice in the grooves on the floor may shift some but just checked all sides for the best fit and cut it out,,i had no real problems in my 72 challenger
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011 - 11:13:06 PM »
Mine was AMD...fit pretty well with a little massaging to follow the floor contours.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline roy282

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011 - 09:45:02 AM »
Here are some pics that I took from a factory 4spd challenger convertable.Hope they help!! Rob
1974 barracuda 360 gone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1968 charger 318 gone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1970 barracuda gran coupe 383 4spd Gator in the garage

Offline rhamson

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011 - 11:04:21 AM »
Thanks Roy282.  These are really helpful.  You wouldn't happen to have the measurements from the seam where the firewall meets the floorpan to the front of the hole would you?

Offline roy282

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011 - 11:38:55 AM »
I don't have a picture for that measurement but I wrote it down Its around 21" and here's another pic for the foot / pedal clearance!! ROB
1974 barracuda 360 gone
1968 charger 318 gone
1970 barracuda gran coupe 383 4spd Gator in the garage

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011 - 08:40:35 PM »
Pictures and measurements are good, but the most important part is that the tunnel is actually in the right place for the shifter. The factory tolerances mean that the measurements from one car may not be ideal for another. I'd put a rough tracing of the hump on the floor pan and cut just enough of the pan to clear the shift rods and install the transmission. Once the transmission is in place you can make the final adjustments on the hump location and clean up the floor.

Offline rhamson

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011 - 10:06:38 AM »
Are you saying that factory placement of the hole is not the same from car to car?  I don't have the engine or transmission and won't for quite some time.  I am also going to use the Keisler 5 speed transmission and it is supposed to set in place where the stock hole is.  The Keisler transmission uses an internal linkage and will not require linkage clearances.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011 - 12:58:41 PM »
Are you saying that factory placement of the hole is not the same from car to car? 

In a word, yes, that's what I'm saying.

Obviously, it's fairly close. But the body fit tolerances on these cars are not perfect. Even straight off the assembly line, suspension points could vary by as much as a 1/4". Now, suspension points are a precise deal. You can imagine that if the suspension points can be off by a 1/4" that something like the transmission hump can be off by more than that. Plus, you're dealing with a 40+ year old car, and a unibody at that. I would suspect that they'd all be within an inch, but it doesn't take that much to cause interference.

Didn't realize you were running a 5 speed. That of course brings aftermarket fits into the equation as well. My suggestion would be to not permanently attach the 4 speed hump until you have the transmission in place. Better to do that than find out that your shifter hits the hump when its in 1st, or reverse or whatever and that you have to cut a notch in it. But maybe that's no big deal either, its not like you'd see it. Just my  :2cents:.