Author Topic: 1970 challenger r/t all original barn find 65K original miles. Go Mango  (Read 20946 times)

Offline PaxtonPwr

It arrived friday, to my buddies body shop this week and it begins. All original 383 R/T car # match all tags stickers etc.. matching. runs good actually, brakes work (1 front caliper will need rebuild), some 1/4 panels, and replace 1 fender (very saveable but not worth the effort for a driver). Verry happy evertything worked, even got some cool paperwork with it. Bought from 2nd owners widow, 2nd owner bought in 1972 paid off in 1975. Also found some raffle tickets from 1975 for a 1965 econoline van (hehe) for the local babe ruth league, original alkaselzter packets, bottle opener, pen and a few bank and union deposit slips from 75-76. inspection sticker last stamped 1976, plates say 1978 which is when it went into garage and never came out until widow got rid estate.  Have the orginal purchase papers and financing papers from 1972, title from 1972, original owners manual in mint condition, buildsheet cowl tags, stickers for tire pressure and build date still on door, just a cool original find. Needs a little love but rand and drove nice on the old tires even lol, dome light lit up and key buzzer sounded, am radio worked and cigarette lighter too ! Ill post pics as it comes along!

Keeping go mango paint, doing the side stripe in black and a black hood stripe also, keeping original interior besides recovering front seats and repairing (any ideas?) or replacing the interior panels fading and crack in dash pad. Also gonna remove and save the luggage rack and original wheels (missing one) and replace the wheels with repops.

pics coming shortly after i load them. 

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: 1970 challenger r/t all original barn find 65K original miles. Go Mango
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011 - 06:57:42 PM »
 :popcorn:   Sounds great, can't wait to see the pictures! :thumbsup:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011 - 08:08:27 PM »
Sounds like the one I picked up couple weeks ago. Numbers matching 70 R/T 383 4 spd in Go Mango with a blk vinyl top. Mine was very very rough with front end damage but the original motor had just been rebuilt professionally. Even the suspension and brakes were all redone.

My serial # is 100772. Yours? They could be long lost twin brothers, separated at birth.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011 - 08:41:49 PM »
Sounds like the one I picked up couple weeks ago. Numbers matching 70 R/T 383 4 spd in Go Mango with a blk vinyl top. Mine was very very rough with front end damage but the original motor had just been rebuilt professionally. Even the suspension and brakes were all redone.

My serial # is 100772. Yours? They could be long lost twin brothers, separated at birth.
:grinyes: Ya I was thinking about you when I read this!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline beekppr

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011 - 08:47:11 PM »
Being R/Ts, they probably came from same plant. Wouldn't that be cool if they had consecutive serial numbers? I heard the factory sometimes bunched similar cars together for efficiency but I don't know how true that really is.

I can't wait to see some of his pics.

I'm trying to get my 64 Corvette finished and painted so I can dive into my Challenger.

Offline PaxtonPwr

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011 - 09:45:54 PM »

Offline beekppr

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011 - 09:56:21 PM »
Very cool. That things in pretty good shape too.

Is that burnt orange interior? It has quite a few options. Nice! Mine had no console, no PS, no PB, but it did come with buckets, limited slip, 4 spd, and the chrome flip gas fill.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011 - 09:58:54 PM »
Very nice! :cooldancing: :clapping: :2thumbs:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline PaxtonPwr

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011 - 10:02:04 PM »
Yes burnt orange interior, my body guy wants me to go black but im gonna keep it original, too low miles and there to modify too much in my opinion.

Offline Jeffs 70 RT

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011 - 10:05:35 PM »
PaxtonPwr, I know the car. You got it from a friend of mine out of Daleville. I tried to buy the car before it went on E-bay, but I couldn't due to another project. Anyway, it is a cool, original barn find. Can't wait to see progress pix on the RT. Take care!! Jeff

Offline beekppr

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011 - 10:46:13 PM »
I wonder why your build sheet is not more colorful. The ones I found in my 70 super bee have all sorts of colors on them. Maybe different forms from plant to plant? Either way, I wish my Challenger had them.

Offline RUSTYNAIL

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011 - 10:47:18 PM »
 Glad to see the car go to a good home. I am constantly on the hunt for E-Bodies and they snagged that one right from my home town, I never even knew it was there and had been down that street a hundred times. The seller is my landlord of my shop and I didn't even know he had it until I saw it on E-bay  :screwy: I went and looked at it during the auction but passed on it, I think it was a great deal though. I am stuck on a EV2 71' or it would be in my garage now. Congrats on the purchase.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011 - 10:50:49 PM »
Great looking car, love all the documentation!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011 - 11:47:46 PM »
I see that the broadcast sheet is from the back seat. Have you looked inside the bucket seat backs for more yet?

Very cool car!

Offline PaxtonPwr

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011 - 12:22:18 AM »
 :hyper: thanks guys, Im gonna do some searches and see if i can track down any other history or documentation. I didnt look behind the seat backs yet, Ill do it during disassembly. My only question is on the plastics (door, rear 1/4, front kick panel) what are the options for restoring or is is not even worth it and just buy replacements ? And what are your opinions on changing over to a black interior? Stick with the original or go for the more popular?