Author Topic: 1970 challenger r/t all original barn find 65K original miles. Go Mango  (Read 20953 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: 1970 challenger r/t all original barn find 65K original miles. Go Mango
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011 - 02:34:10 AM »
:hyper: thanks guys, Im gonna do some searches and see if i can track down any other history or documentation. I didnt look behind the seat backs yet, Ill do it during disassembly. My only question is on the plastics (door, rear 1/4, front kick panel) what are the options for restoring or is is not even worth it and just buy replacements ? And what are your opinions on changing over to a black interior? Stick with the original or go for the more popular?
If your gonna switch over to black there are a couple ( that I know of) members that would gladly take the burnt orange off your hands! It's very hard to find!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline _Russ_

• Not very family friendly!
  • Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011 - 02:59:44 AM »
That's a great score. Nice bit of history to go with it. Do you mind letting us know what you paid for it?

August '69 build date - Is that the first month of production for the Challengers?

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011 - 12:56:04 PM »
Nice score!  Have fun with that one.  :working:  :burnout:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011 - 02:14:59 PM »
Very nice find!!! :cheers: :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011 - 02:30:56 PM »
Looks like a good find.   Don't you just enjoy the history when you find paperwork and see how things were done back then.  And the purchast price......... :bricks1:  THEN and   :money: NOW................. :bigsmile:
Dave or David

Offline PaxtonPwr

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011 - 09:56:28 PM »
Id rather not say prices, I paid well for it but not too high for what it is in my opinion. The old documentation and paperwork was icing on the cake. I was at work and asked the wife to go into the folder to look for something and she angrily said to me, that guy only paid 2K for that car! I then said look at the date.... lol times have changed.... 14+ % interest though, not that crazy for a used car loan these days either!

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011 - 10:32:04 PM »
imop a barn  find in that condition is not to be restored . you should keep it the way it is and send it through a auction so a collector can keep it the way it came from the factory.
 changing anything on that car devalues it . how may people actually have that much paperwork on a car in that condition (think about it). i would buy a car that i could modify .
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline TorOrange

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011 - 10:41:33 PM »
imop a barn  find in that condition is not to be restored . you should keep it the way it is and send it through a auction so a collector can keep it the way it came from the factory.
 changing anything on that car devalues it . how may people actually have that much paperwork on a car in that condition (think about it). i would buy a car that i could modify .

I feel the same way Its a real nice car as is, and doing any changes,customization or restoration will devalue it.
WANTED 71 cuda / barracuda project. Prefer Black but open.

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011 - 10:53:03 PM »
I'd keep the burnt orange on that one. Black is nice but that is truly unique.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011 - 11:11:20 PM »
 :iagree:I have ne ver seen that combination.  The documentation you have on the car is very unusual to have.  I would restore the car 100% original.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline _Russ_

• Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011 - 01:12:18 AM »
I'd say fix the brakes (and anything else that's mechanically suspect); give the interior a vacuum; give the exterior a tub; chuck some duct tape over the seat rip then throw a seat-cover over it; fill 'er up with fuel - and drive the crap out of it.

Offline PaxtonPwr

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011 - 06:25:24 PM »
If there wasnt some rust around the rear wheelwells and small hole starting in trunk i wouldnt touch, but that has to be addressed before spreading. If someone has one already done they want to trade let me know before this one starts getting tore down.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011 - 06:57:00 PM »
 :ylsuper: very nice score and definately a unigue color combo,i agree with the other in saying i wouldn't touch a thing on this car either,i would give it a
good cleaning and waxing,you will be surprised what she'll look like.i wouldn't change that interior,VERY rare indeed.

p/s.wish i had a 70 r/t driver to trade you right now.
 :cheers:

MOPAR FANATIC........Dave..........

71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline _Russ_

• Chk Chk Boom!
    • Show Me How To Live
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011 - 08:39:53 PM »
If there wasnt some rust around the rear wheelwells and small hole starting in trunk i wouldnt touch, but that has to be addressed before spreading. If someone has one already done they want to trade let me know before this one starts getting tore down.

Yeah I noticed the rust after I commented. Went back over the eBay images I saved. Right rear quarter looks to be the worst from those small images - with the left not far behind. Still repairable without needing to replace the entire quarter.

How do you think you'll go about it? Repair only the absolutely necessary and leave the rest as is - or tear it down, take it back, and rebuild the entire vehicle?

Offline PaxtonPwr

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011 - 09:38:42 PM »
Thats what I keep tossing around, dont know how far to go and restore because i still intend to drive while keeping original. I only have to replace the bottom 2 rear 1/4s my body guy is thinking using the natural body line as the area, completely stripping paint and repainting because a blend wont look as natural, definitely changing side stripe to black, not doing hood decal, pulling the engine and painting, cleaning up (runs beautifully so no rebuild or modifications yet. ). Recovering the front seats and fixing dash pad. (single crack in it, will probably replace) cleaning up the rest interior. Just dont know how to repair the door skins and rear plastics that have started chalking? I didnt ask my body guy yet about them and havent found anything online about it besides replacing. I want to keep as original as possible but have to address some small rust issues. Maybe get an extra set of 17/18's and tires for driving to some cruises and have the wife take it down the track a few times at the MIR NMCA true street race for fun while i run my mustang. I like the old documentation which was a big bonus besides originality for me. Well see how it goes, always open to trade ideas though :)