Author Topic: Door seal attachment at front top of door  (Read 4265 times)

Offline femtnmax

Re: Door seal attachment at front top of door
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011 - 09:34:07 PM »
On the pics of the quarter seal
Ch6pak - I've been out of town.  Thank you for more 1000 word photos.  One more question please...for the outside weatherstrip horizontal seal for the quarter glass, concerning the seal's flexible lip that contacts the glass...does the seal lip extend the full length of the thin chrome strip that is visible in your pics?  The chrome strip lays alongside the painted quarter panel.  The aftermarket seals I have (metro??) have a full length chrome strip, but the actual seal lip is shortened on one end.  Your pics show the seal lip contacts the roof / glass seal at the rear of the qtr glass, and it looks like the seal lip reaches forward to contact the "back" of the quarter panel closeout seal shown in your most recent group of pics.  Let me know if I should include a photo.  thank you again.  Phil
Phil

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011 - 10:07:37 PM »
You are welcome for the photos.  Post a pic of what you are refering to and I will go back to my car and see how Chrysler put it together.  I am definitely going to take pics of everything before I take this car apart.  It is not complete; but what is there is untouched.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011 - 08:33:58 PM »
Post a pic of what you are refering to and I will go back to my car and see how Chrysler put it together.
Here are two pics of the Metro brand seal for quarter glass outside weatherstrip.
First pic shows the roof bulb seal on the left, with chrome strip (part of qtr glass weatherstrip) reaching almost to the roof bulb seal.  BUT...the flexible lip of the qtr glass weatherstrip stops 3/4 inch forward of the chrome strip, leaving a 3/4 inch gap for water to pour into. 
Second pic shows fwd end of weatherstrip, it fits up nicely to large rubber seal at top/front of qtr panel.
Ch6pak...Does your qtr glass weatherstrip seal have the large gap, or much of a gap between seal lip and roof bulb seal?  I'm considering filling the gap with a glued in piece of closed-cell foam.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011 - 08:41:22 PM by femtnmax »
Phil

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011 - 03:22:06 PM »
The seal fits the same way on my car.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011 - 03:24:07 PM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011 - 08:23:33 PM »
Thanks Ch6pak.   Some forum members say these cars have many water leaks, this must be one of them.  I filled the gap with a glued-in piece of closed-cell foam.  Tapered the foam so qtr glass rolls up/down without trying to tear the foam out.  Seems to seal well.  I won't be rolling the qtr glass up/down much so fix should last awhile.  There are other smaller gaps here and there that need to be filled, but this one is the biggest I've found so far.
Thanks again Ch6pak for your help and taking the time to snap & post all your photos.

One last question on a different subject...With door open, looking down at sill plate, at each end of the sill plate the "end screws" fasten into the plastic kick panel and rear qtr panel.   Does your car have stamped metal plates that snap onto the plastic panels? These metal plates have holes threaded for sheet metal screws, and accept the end screws of the sill plate.
Phil

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011 - 09:21:11 PM »
You are welcome for the pics.  The metal plates are supposed to be there for the screws. 
Tod

Offline filmsurgeon

• Resto-Mod '70 Convertible Challenger
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013 - 12:42:27 AM »
At the front of the door, near the forward end of the door glass, the door seal comes up the front of the door...then it ends at the door glass.
There are slotted locations for 3 fasteners.  I do not see any thread type damage to the 3 slots in the door, so I am assuming these 3 fasteners may be plastic push pins.  Is that correct, and if so who would sell the push pins?
Four slots show up in the attached picture.  The middle one on the left is for the door interior panel.  The top, bottom, and right hand slot are the ones I'm asking about.
Thanks for your help.

Sorry again for resurrecting an old topic, but does anyone know the correct type/size screws that are used to attach the door seal to the top/front of the door?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013 - 03:37:36 AM by filmsurgeon »
1970 Challenger Convertible (JH27N0B); Resto-Mod; 605 HP, 412cid Small Block; Holley 750CFM Carburetor; A-833 23-spline 4-SPD; A-body 8.75 rear-end w/3.55 gears; 3" mini-tub; leaf spring relocation kit with split-leaf mono and Caltracs; American Racing AR500 Wheels, Rears = 15x10 (5.5" BS) with 315/60-15 BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials; Fronts = 15x7 (3.5" BS) with 215/70-15 BFG Radial T/A Radials.