Author Topic: Petty Blue Rare color on a 73 Challenger  (Read 25277 times)

Offline 4aThrill

Petty Blue Rare color on a 73 Challenger
« on: January 13, 2011 - 11:37:10 PM »
So we are in the process of deciding on the color of the 73 Challenger original color is Petty Blue we were told thats a rare color for that year if thats true going with that or not just going with Plum Crazy or something else.

is Petty Blue rare for a 73 Challenger?   :bricks1:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Petty Blue Rare color on a 73 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011 - 01:01:04 AM »
 :dunno:  I don't know, I'm curious to see what others say. 

I don't know if it is rare, but you don't see it as often as other colors....might just be a preference for other colors perhaps...

I don't know if Mopar numbers were broken down by color.... :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011 - 01:20:50 AM »
There's really no way to know. Ma Mopar never kept any numbers on how many cars were painted a certain color.

My '72 was originally petty blue, now painted B5. It doesn't seem like there are a ton of B3 (petty blue) cars out there at shows etc, but a lot of people repaint using high impact colors. So, unless you look at all the fender tags it's hard to say. I do see more a-bodies that are still Petty blue, but I think that has a lot to do with the E-bodies being repainted.

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011 - 02:21:32 AM »
I don't know if it is rare, but I will say it is a good choice. Petty Blue looks good on the Challengers
Chris, Ohio

Offline 4aThrill

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011 - 06:30:41 AM »
I don't know if it is rare, but I will say it is a good choice. Petty Blue looks good on the Challengers

my thoughts too, the few cars that I see this color stand out more then others, I will keep looking around thankx for the input  :wave:

4aThrill

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011 - 07:45:31 AM »
I wasn't aware that MOPAR did actually release a car with Petty Blue, it was supposed to be Petty's own formula. Many have tried to copy it though.   :dunno:
Dave

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011 - 08:34:39 AM »
I wasn't aware that MOPAR did actually release a car with Petty Blue, it was supposed to be Petty's own formula. Many have tried to copy it though.   :dunno:

I always thought that the Dodge Super Blue/Plymouth Basin Street Blue was Petty Blue?  :dunno:  :clueless:  I didn't think it was a special formula from Petty.  :dunno:

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011 - 08:41:14 AM »

my thoughts too, the few cars that I see this color stand out more then others, I will keep looking around thankx for the input  :wave:

4aThrill

Sometimes in pics this blue may not have the same appeal as Plum Crazy or Hemi Orange, but in person it looks good, IMO.  It does stand out and isn't exactly like a powder light blue but like a real strong light blue, a little less stronger than a Ford Grabber Blue.  I think it looks a little better with some black to offset so much blue to give it a little definition.

On my car I like how the black tail panel and black roof contrast the lighter colored blue.  This color was never considered a High Impact color, but if they needed a High Impact blue, I would think it would fit right in, IMO.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011 - 09:16:50 AM »
Here's a brighter version.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011 - 09:48:12 AM »
Thanks, Dave!   :thumbsup:

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011 - 11:36:35 AM »
I love the petty blue on the b bodies, which is where Petty used it!
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011 - 06:04:45 PM »
I always thought that the Dodge Super Blue/Plymouth Basin Street Blue was Petty Blue?  :dunno:  :clueless:  I didn't think it was a special formula from Petty.  :dunno:

My understanding was that "Petty" blue was more of a nick name for the color, B3 was referred to as Super Blue or Basin Street Blue in the literature. Its pretty close to the color used on the Petty cars, but I'm not aware of it being a special formula. It was a standard (non-High Impact) color.

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011 - 09:47:20 PM »
I had a 73 Roadrunner in 'Petty' blue with white stripes & interior.  Awesome looking IMO.  I would consider painting my 73 Barracuda the same if I don't go back with the original Mist Green.  Plum Crazy would be good looking too but I'd lean more to a color that was correct for that year myself.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011 - 12:48:01 AM »
There was a 73 in town when I was growing up that was B3.  It was a 340 non Rallye car with standard guages and a white top.  It may still be around.  I just remembered that there was another one that sat along side of a guys garage for years.  That one was a 340 Rallye car but I can't remember it it had a vinyl top or not.

You don't see that color very often.  I don't know if that's because it's a rare color or if that it's rare for someone to repaint a 72-74 its correct color.  Owners of the 72-74 cars seem to modify them rather than do a stock restoration.  I'd paint it the factory color if it were mine.  Good luck with it.

Offline Lords1

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011 - 04:13:05 AM »
 :wave: Hi! I bought a 1972 Superblue Challenger by ordering it from the factory in early '72. The color code was TB3 and it was called 'Superblue', or in Plymouth 'Basin Street Blue'. I drove that car around for 33 years before I sold it for restoration to a man in Tampa who bought it on Ebay for $5,125.00. In all my time driving it, I only saw two other cars the same color, and one car was the first car that I ordered and rejected because it was missing too many irreplacable options. I've been looking for that color in the new Challengers and it's not offered. More the pity...