Author Topic: Opinions needed for undercoat question  (Read 1950 times)

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
Opinions needed for undercoat question
« on: January 16, 2011 - 01:28:55 PM »
I am putting some finishing touches on my Superbee before fully tearing into the Challenger.

Wheelwells are undercoated but after putting on the trim, I wonder if I should have also undercoated the edge on the inside. It looks somehow unfinished having orange showing on both sides of the trim.

Dont know if the undercoated finish would look right either since it is more out in the open and visible.

Anyone know what the original look is? I don't mind deviating from stock though if the consensus is it would look better. Once I do it, there's no going back so I'd love to hear other opinions before deciding.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
Re: Opinions needed for undercoat question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011 - 04:19:08 PM »
I would take chrome trim off ,mask off ,scuff and spray satin black on fender lips ,then reinstall chrome   
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011 - 04:35:18 PM »
In my opinion, I think it looks "right" the way it is and I like how it looks.  However, painting it black to blend in with the inner wheel well would look good too. 
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline chaps70rt

• 70 Challenger R/T Hardtop in Progress (Canada)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011 - 04:40:28 PM »
I think that I would black out the inner area to match the interior of the wheel well as originally suggested.

Cheers .... Gary
White 1970 Challenger R/T
440 - 4BBL - Shaker
Daily Driver - 2014 Dodge RAM 1500
Stouffville, Ontario Canada

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011 - 06:33:26 PM »
Finally got around to this last weekend. I decided to black it out as a couple of you guys suggested. I am thinking that since both rear quarters were replaced, maybe this lip is extra metal that should have been trimmed off. Either way, I removed the trim, sanded the clear and put semi gloss black over the top. Hard to tell in the photo but it looks great. I cleaned up the undercoating in all wheel wells while it was open and even polished the wheels while they were off.

Offline usraptr

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011 - 07:06:24 PM »
Much better!  Looks great!1   :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011 - 09:37:32 PM »
Yep. More better !   :2thumbs:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)