Author Topic: Fluids  (Read 949 times)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
Fluids
« on: January 17, 2011 - 08:51:16 PM »
OK, it is coming down to nitty-gritty time.  The engine, trans, & steering box has been rebuilt.

How about some suggestion on what type/brand of fluids to use for:
1.) Motor oil (I will be adding the Comp Cams Break-in additive)
2.) Transmission fluid
3.) Brake fluid
4.) Anti-freeze
5.) Power steering fluid

Offline 73EStroker

Re: Fluids
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011 - 09:14:54 PM »
1. I use 15W40 diesel oil. Still has the additive ZDDP. And also use GM EOS additive for each oil change. I only run the car when it is really hot out. Use good filters too - NAPA Gold, Wix etc. No Fram crap.
2. Use DOT5 silicone fluid for brakes if you can

No ideas for the rest of the fluids
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011 - 09:27:23 PM »
The Z alt oil is probably one of the best choices for engine oil , most diesel has reduced ZDDP now due to gov regs
if everything is new in the trans I would use F type assuming it is an automatic , if iit is not all new dextron 4
Use Power steering fluid not ATF
 if all the brakes are new I would use Dot 5 brake fluid , it will not harm paint but it will not mix with Dot 3 or 4

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 - 05:46:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  so here is what i gather so far:

Z-Alt (http://www.z-alt.com/oil.html) looks like good stuff!  The ZDDP additive is a must have correct? (i do not have a roller cam, just regular lifters)
I had planned on using DOT-5.  I had heard that it must be free of any air bubbles, even unseen, so let it set for a while before pouring it in, or even heat it slightly to allow the air to escape.  is that true?
The 727 has been rebuilt, so i assume the guts are all new.  Type-F then?  is Synthetic Trans Fluid available, and if so, is it worth the cost?
Regular clear power steering fluid is ok?   has there been any new improvemented formula's that might be out there?
What about Anti-Freeze?  What do all the colors mean?  Should I stick with what Ma Mopar uses in the new cars?

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 - 06:35:18 PM »
What about the Comp Cams oil:

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-%27Lubricants%27-1.aspx

i am using a Comp Cams XE262H cam, i suppose it wouldn't hurt to use their oil?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011 - 03:44:41 PM »
I know nothing about The Comp Oil , you might get some kind of warranty if you use both though
I have neverhada problem with dot 5 brake fluid
 Tactransman can give you better advice on trans fluid , synthetic is available Dextron 4 or 5
I do not know of anything better then just clear steering fluid
There are a # of differnt antifreezes available , I typically use the normal green fluid , there is the orange long life which really looks like rust int he system , & the dexcool that I have been told to avoid .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t