Author Topic: Fender damage - advice needed  (Read 652 times)

Offline ericindc

Fender damage - advice needed
« on: January 19, 2011 - 06:47:33 PM »

So somehow, someone hit my front left fender on the challenger. Its not terribly damaging, just scrapes and a little denting along the fender, but its pretty obvious.  I need some quick advice.  Its a custom paint (purple-metallic color) so its going to be hell to paint match, i think. 

My concern is whether I should file an insurance claim.  Given a $500 deductable, is it worth it?  What is everyone's opinion?

Thanks.
1974 Challenger, 440, auto, 17s
1983 Jeep CJ7, Chevy 350, auto, 32" tires, 2.5" lift

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: Fender damage - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011 - 09:21:15 PM »
Depends on whether you want to repair this yourself...I can tell you that in order to match the color, they will most likely have to repaint the entire car...I wouldn't be surprized if an estimate came back as high as $5K to repair at a bodyshop....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011 - 11:11:33 PM »
^ :rofl: :screwy:^

OP, don't waste your time filing a claim, they will pay for the time to match the paint and worse case if the damage is close to another panel,they will allow for a blend and clearcoat ,they will NEVER pay for a full repaint,
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011 - 11:39:51 PM »
Eric, the way we do it today is repair the fender and blend into the hood and adjacent door after peeling them of all trim/mldgs/glass and handles. If you can find the guy who painted it, it would be a help, but a first class paint facility has colour matching scanners and will tint and shoot test cards to get you where you want to be. A rough ballpark figure would be approx. $7-800 for painting alone before tinting/bodywork/reassembly/colour sanding/buffing/taxes. I've seen them do $200,000 Benzs and Rollers and no complaints.