Author Topic: Paint Advice Needed  (Read 890 times)

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
Paint Advice Needed
« on: January 21, 2011 - 10:44:57 AM »
I know nothing about paint..... so help & advice please.

I've decided to repaint my '74 and selected a shop (I've seen their work and talked to their customers (excellent reviews/work)   My car is Deep Sherwood Green.  They use BASF RM diamont and Glasurit Paint but would obviously look at anything I wanted to use.   

Is this a good product?   How does it compare to others (I've heard PPG is considered "on top" both in terms of quality and cost!     How much does "familarity" with a product and its application count toward the whole process of ending up with an exceptional paint job?   If I sugggest a paint that they arent familiar with, how will this potentially affect the finshed product? 

thanks for all advice :)
VT Mopapr
VT MOPAR

Offline AMXguy

Re: Paint Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 - 03:47:33 PM »
Glasurit is tops, and more expensive than PPG but I can't tel you for sure why.  my painter uses PPG but for my Sublime car he insisted on Glasurit, it was oh my god expensive but I think it was worth it it looks fantastic and is supposed to last better than the others.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011 - 05:37:02 PM »
Paint families differ in application and cost as noted and as is also noted, the exact why for that is written on the back of the same card that tells where Amelia Earhart is. If the shop has produced work of a quality that you admire and aspire to, let them use the paint they're comfortable with. The painter will know all it's little foibles and they ALL have them and be able to produce a good job anyways. Just my 2 cents worth

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 - 10:42:20 AM »
thanks guys......  appreciate the thoughts.     

VT Mopar
VT MOPAR

Offline Cuda_Kevin

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 - 11:02:48 AM »
I've used the RM Diamont system and it's probably one of the best out there.  I wouldn't hesitate to use that product on any of my vehicles.  Good luck!
"I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help"  : )

Offline ragtopman

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 - 11:37:36 AM »
Be is Glas./BASF/PPG/DuPont, they are all good paint products otherwise they wouldnt still be in business. Some painters and company's prefer one better than the other. Some of them have better color matches than the other, but they all have bad colors that are more than likely better in a different brand. But any good painter should be able to use what ever is put in front of them. I personally have sprayed them all and really dont see a huge difference.  :cheers:

Offline Cuda_Kevin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011 - 12:14:36 PM »
Be is Glas./BASF/PPG/DuPont, they are all good paint products otherwise they wouldnt still be in business. Some painters and company's prefer one better than the other. Some of them have better color matches than the other, but they all have bad colors that are more than likely better in a different brand. But any good painter should be able to use what ever is put in front of them. I personally have sprayed them all and really dont see a huge difference.  :cheers:

Good Point~!  I'm sure all the big companies do offer a quality product.  It's just some folks get used to the system and know how clears go on, what catalysts to use and when etc...  The RM system has had it's problems over the years, but they get worked out overtime.
"I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help"  : )

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011 - 09:43:42 PM »
Let them use  Glasurit,you will be happy if these guys know what they're doing .Last thing you want is for a painter to use a paint system he's not familiar with,you'd be asking for trouble.
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!