Author Topic: need picture of carb linkage/kickdown linkage on 383  (Read 2897 times)

Offline 70 RAG TOP

need picture of carb linkage/kickdown linkage on 383
« on: January 21, 2011 - 02:19:11 PM »
I was wondering if someone would have a good picture of what the carb and kickdown linkage(return springs ,etc)should look like on a 70' 383 four barrel.  Any pictures or info would be great.
Mike

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
Re: need picture of carb linkage/kickdown linkage on 383
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011 - 12:16:06 PM »
I wish I saw this post six months ago. I could have helped. I took my kickdown assembly off and replaced it with the bouchillon kickdown unit. I hated to lose the original look but the old style linkage just wasn't doing the job very well.

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011 - 08:38:07 PM »

I don't know if this pictures will help.  This is a 440 with Thermoquad and 727 auto.  PK

The Brewmaster

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 - 09:16:57 PM »
the old style linkage just wasn't doing the job very well.
Nice photos skunkworks!!
When I had a 340 duster with 727 auto I adjusted the kickdown link to fully engage the trany kickdown detent with carb at full throttle position, with just a slight amount of clearance to guarantee the carb was wide open.  Worked perfectly just like the factory intended.  Several times my ex-wife would come home from work and boast about winning another street race...she was pushing the gas pedal to the floor and letting the engine/trany do their thing.
Phil

Offline beekppr

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011 - 09:20:33 PM »
I could never get the linkage to extend far enough to push the lever on the tranny far enough. The result was always weak shift points and it didnt really want to downshift. I put on the bouchilon unit which has a cable to the tranny and I'm pretty happy with the shift points now. It just doesn't look as pretty but I'm okay with the trade off.

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 - 09:34:21 PM »
I could never get the linkage to extend far enough to push the lever on the tranny far enough.
I wonder if there were some incorrect parts??? Well at least you have it working correctly :2thumbs:
Phil

Offline beekppr

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011 - 09:56:01 PM »
Sure looks like the stuff in the photos. I remember my dad had a 76 dodge van with a 360 auto and he had the same complaint. I went with him to the junkyard when the older cars could still be found and we found some longer rods. That change made a world of difference on the old van.

Offline 70 RAG TOP

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011 - 01:13:53 PM »
Thanks skunkworks,  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Also, your engine& engine bay looks like it should be in a museum.
Great photos.
Mike

Offline 70 RAG TOP

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011 - 08:41:49 AM »
Does anybody know if you can get the correct carb return spring from a local parts place or do I need to get it from Year One?
I have already tried some from the "emergency fix" section at the parts stores but none had the correct length or tension.
Mike

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011 - 08:50:40 PM »
Hello, I think they are available from several sources but I got mine from Rocket Restorations, Olympia Washington.
PK

http://www.rocketresto.com/buy-parts.html
The Brewmaster

Offline beekppr

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011 - 09:03:45 PM »
http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/images/2011_catalog.pdf

Someone turned me onto this site and I saw what you need in this catalog link. Don't remember the price though.

Other cool authentic stuff in here too you might like.