Author Topic: Condensation In The Oil ?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline AMXguy

Condensation In The Oil ?
« on: January 21, 2011 - 06:30:57 PM »
My fresh 440 with about 2 hours run time had a VERY slight milky haze on the dipstick , it showed up on the chrome but you couldn't see it on bare metal. even though I live in the high desert it's been cold and very humid this winter and my shop is unheated. this week after starting it cold and not letting it ever warm up about 15 times loading it in and out of my trailer going to various shops to get everything finished I notice this.

My oil and water levels are unchanged, exhaust is dry and after running it for a half hour the oil now looks great. is there a chance this was just from condensation or is that wishful thinking? I had everything sonic checked and milled but I did use cometic head gaskets and I've heard they can leak. I guess I'm wondering since if I do have a leak it's very small if I should stick some stop leak in it or if I even have a problem.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: Condensation In The Oil ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011 - 07:05:12 PM »
Most likely Condensation..I've seen an alarming amount of "Blown head gaskets" come in the shop, only to be condensation in the dipstick tube, oil fill, and top of valve covers...Keep checking on the coolant and watch for any loss, but I think your ok...I would stay away from using "Stop leaks" as they tend to stop up everything else in the system as well as the leak...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011 - 07:45:09 PM »
i would change the oil and see what it looks like when you do,,better safe than sorry  :2cents:
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011 - 10:08:02 PM »
 :iagree:
Yes stop leak stops up everything else too.  Yes to changing the oil/filter.
Also check PCV.  With engine idling the PCV valve should have strong suction with valve removed from valve cover and your finger over the end of the valve.
To check the inlet side of the PCV system...again with engine idling, pcv attached to one valve cover, and inlet breather on other valve cover...place a scrap of paper towel over inlet to breather.  The PCV suction should hold the paper to the breather inlet, if the paper falls off, there is not enough "draw" to the system, maybe breather is plugged up, excessive piston ring blow by, etc.
In auto mechanic school we were told it takes about 15 miles of steady driving to remove the condensation that developes overnight, thats ONE night.
Phil

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011 - 10:54:23 PM »
It must be condensation, I checked the oil now that it's cooled down and it still looks perfect. if it had a leak the antifreeze wouldn't dry away, so would a small amount of antifreeze show in the oil? 
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011 - 05:25:54 AM »
I'd put my money on it being from condensation, especially from only letting it idle for such short time frames.  It takes approximately a 10 mile drive to fully burn off all the crankcase and exhaust moisture and to thoroughly heat up the oil and coolant. 

The humidity and cool temps are only adding to your condensation problem of a luke warm engine.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011 - 07:52:38 AM »
Sounds like condensation especially if you have alloy rocker covers, remove oil filler and stick you finger under rocker cover and see if any moisture is present. Take it for a good drive, I always drive around the block rather than just start a car to move around.
Dave

Offline acudanut

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011 - 09:58:13 AM »
 At the least, let it run 20-30 mins.
Sorry mate, but what does this mean "In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast".
Your from the land down under...Austrialia. :clueless:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011 - 10:00:11 AM by acudanut »

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011 - 08:20:27 AM »
Sorry mate, but what does this mean "In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast".
Your from the land down under...Austrialia. :clueless:

G/Day from down under, yes I swam across a couple of years ago and rescued that Challenger in my avatar, filled it with spare parts, that is why it is sitting so low and drove it from Kansas to Longbeach and had it shipped back to Australia then I swam back.   :bigsmile:   :cheers:
Dave

Offline acudanut

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011 - 09:52:48 AM »
 Great story...I am from Kansas and would have bought you a beer  :cheers:

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011 - 06:02:20 AM »
I first saw my Challenger on the net and had a look when I was over in America in 2006, it was in Emporia, didn't buy it then but organised to purchase when I returned back home. I bought it from Brad Powell "The Mopar Dude", he moved to Burlington and I returned in 2007 and picked it up. A great guy to deal with and honest, he didn't try to hide anything and allowed me to have parts delivered to his place and also use his equipment to finalize a few modifications before I headed off.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline acudanut

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011 - 09:59:32 AM »
 Hey Mate, I am glad your happy with that guy (the mopar dude) because he is not well loved around here....Everything he sells is 10K too high.(is now anyway)  :2cents: