Author Topic: 383 MSD INSTALL QUESTIONS  (Read 834 times)

Offline 73challenger383

383 MSD INSTALL QUESTIONS
« on: January 22, 2011 - 08:42:37 PM »
I INSTALLED A MSD DISTRIBUTOR MSD 6AL BOX AND BLASTER COIL THE CAR RUNS LIKE **** I THINK I SWAPPED THE WIRES OR SOMETHING HOW DO I FIND TDC ON THE DISTRIBUTOR AND FIND WHERE THE NUMBER 1 PLUG WIRE GOES. THE MOTOR IS A 383 AND

ANY IDEAS WHERE I CAN FIND NEW PLUG BOOTS I BOUGHT THE MSD WIRES BUT THOSE DAMN MSD PLUG ENDS ARE TOO LONG I NEED THE STUBBY L SHAPED ONES

THANKS IN ADVANVCE GUYS

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
Re: 383 MSD INSTALL QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011 - 11:53:56 PM »
I pull the number one plug, put a wrench on the balancer and turn it while I have my finger in the spark plug hole. Turn the engine until the mark on the balancer shows it at TDC. As the piston comes up, if it pushes air against your finger, you're on the compression stroke. Then just keep turning the engine till the marker shows it on the timing cover. No need to keep you finger in the hole once you know your on the right stroke.

Once at TDC, just remove the cap and see where the rotor points. That is number one. Then put the wires in firing order, 18436572. It doesnt really matter where you start number one as long as you get number one correct and follow the correct firing order. Dont forget which way the distributor is turning as you connect the wires.

Offline beekppr

• Dodge Challenger Project
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011 - 11:56:30 PM »
Not sure about the plug ends. The set I got had both styles so you could pick what you needed and save the rest for another job if you wanted to.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011 - 07:31:43 AM »

ANY IDEAS WHERE I CAN FIND NEW PLUG BOOTS I BOUGHT THE MSD WIRES BUT THOSE DAMN MSD PLUG ENDS ARE TOO LONG I NEED THE STUBBY L SHAPED ONES

THANKS IN ADVANVCE GUYS
Those long plug ends are meant to be bent. The ones I have are about 3 or 4" long and called 'multi-angle'(or something like that). They come straight but can be bent to suit.
But if you still figure the short 90's are necessary, MSD sells them in pairs as replacements but if you are changing them all it would be cheaper (I think) to buy a new set of wires. I bought two replacements last summer and had to pay $13.95 for the two boots. (in Canada)
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 73challenger383

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011 - 04:08:01 PM »
I timed it correctly the car runs awesome now I don't even have to pump the gas anymore in freezing ny weather she starts right up thanks guys for all the help