Author Topic: connection on mini starter question?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Barracudadan

connection on mini starter question?
« on: January 27, 2011 - 04:41:09 PM »
My mini starter just arrived. I figured the wiring connections would be different than the stock connections on my car. Can anyone tell me what they did to make the connections fit.Do I need to get the same connector that goes with this starter and splice it onto my wires if so where can I find the connecter or is there another way? I got the part number for this starter from TTI`s website for compatibility with my motor (318) (Chrysler part #56027702AC) since I will be using their headers when the time comes.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: connection on mini starter question?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011 - 06:21:50 PM »
Is it possible to remove the plastic that is around the solenoid connection? Is there a small post/nut behind/beneath it?
I've heard of people removing connection extensions off of those starters, but no experience personally.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 72rtchallenger

• 72 to 70 clone
    • cardomain
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011 - 09:28:37 PM »
Is it possible to remove the plastic that is around the solenoid connection? Is there a small post/nut behind/beneath it?
I've heard of people removing connection extensions off of those starters, but no experience personally.
yea have heard somewhere that you could remove connection extensions on those starters,,personally I used MSD Ignition 5098 - MSD APS Starters on my 340 with tti headers and didnt have to cut any wires as it hooked up like the original 
72rtchallenger
my challengers restro at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/399010
what happens in the garage
stays in the garage

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011 - 09:31:40 PM »
you probably will have to remove that black piece. As I recall, it will hit on the block. You need to try to install it as is before you go and get it all hooked up with the headers and all.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011 - 10:53:11 PM »
My MP starter came with the pigtail.FWIW 

Tom

Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011 - 04:24:07 PM »
Starter fits in fine and the plug clears the block all I need is a new cable that fits.Anybody know where I can find a positive battery cable that fits up to this starter?Thanks!

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011 - 07:06:46 AM »
The stock cable fit fine on mine?
Tom

Tom

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011 - 07:36:39 AM »
just FYI here, but on SOME of the newer starters, I have had to grind off the top of the stud where the POS casble attaches...On a BB 440, most studs poke up into the rear freeze plug area and ground out...Never had to remove any of the plastic as the first time you go for any kind of warranty and have modded the starter, you WILL BE turned down...Most of mine come from junkyards...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011 - 08:40:01 AM »
I wouldn't hack up your stock wiring.  The one's I was looking at on Ebay (and the stock  ones) can be connected directly.

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011 - 09:30:39 AM »
Mine hooked up with the stock wiring and looked like the one in post by Katfish.  No need to change wiring.
Jason

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011 - 09:51:04 AM »
A little late for me now to get the one with stock connections.I don`t want to go through the hassle to return it since it was an online purchase.
The starter I have will work I just have to find a positive lead for it.I don`t want to cut my wire and crimp a spade connection on it and rig something up to have trouble down the road with a faulty connection.I would prefer to find something with the factory style connectors on it.I have a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 the battery cable from that looks like it would work so I`m sure there is a wide range of years to search from just can`t find one online.I`ll have to try a few more junkyards.

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011 - 09:56:57 AM »
It might take you a while, but you can go onto say Autozone's website and try different vehicles and look at their starter pics until you come across the starter you have.  Then, look at their cables and see if it will work.  Just a thought, or somebody might already know.  Good luck.
Jason

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011 - 09:30:22 AM »
Do I need to get the same connector that goes with this starter and splice it onto my wires if so where can I find the connecter or is there another way?
Do you need this connector still?
Anybody know where I can find a positive battery cable that fits up to this starter?Thanks!
Or do you need the large cable?

Tom
Tom

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011 - 09:40:24 AM »
Havent found anything yet,I would prefer at this point to just get the larger cable with everything on it and put my stock wiring away and not cut it up.Do you have one?

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011 - 09:46:13 AM »
I bought a generic battery cable in the appropriate length and then wrapped a new #10 with it for the solenoid.  My original was pretty corroded, looked ok but was green fro corrosion  almost end to end.

A good butt splice and shrink tubing will keep moisture out of the #10 splice.

Tom

Tom